    H492. Plays DVDs very well. The only problem is that Nero does not
    recognise the drive for recording. The only type of recorder that can be
    selected in Nero is the virtual "Image Recorder" device. Any ideas?
    SchoolTech, Feb 19, 2005

  2. SchoolTech

    Jerry Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > We have a PC that had a junk Samsung CDRW/DVDROM combo drive in it,
    > which got returned under warranty. The replacement is a Toshiba-Samsung
    > H492. Plays DVDs very well. The only problem is that Nero does not
    > recognise the drive for recording. The only type of recorder that can be
    > selected in Nero is the virtual "Image Recorder" device. Any ideas?

    If Nero came with the drive, it is probably fixed to work only with that
    brand / model of drive. Did any software come with the new drive?
    Otherwise you might have to get a full version of Nero.

    Jerry
    Jerry, Feb 19, 2005

  3. On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:28:20 +1300, SchoolTech
    <> wrote:

    >We have a PC that had a junk Samsung CDRW/DVDROM combo drive in it,
    >which got returned under warranty. The replacement is a Toshiba-Samsung
    >H492. Plays DVDs very well. The only problem is that Nero does not
    >recognise the drive for recording. The only type of recorder that can be
    >selected in Nero is the virtual "Image Recorder" device. Any ideas?

    Try loading the Adaptec drivers, also some other software cab affect Nero,
    like Alcohol & CloneCD
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 19, 2005
  4. SchoolTech

    -=rjh=- Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:28:20 +1300, SchoolTech
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>We have a PC that had a junk Samsung CDRW/DVDROM combo drive in it,
    >>which got returned under warranty. The replacement is a Toshiba-Samsung
    >>H492. Plays DVDs very well. The only problem is that Nero does not
    >>recognise the drive for recording. The only type of recorder that can be
    >>selected in Nero is the virtual "Image Recorder" device. Any ideas?

    > Try loading the Adaptec drivers, also some other software cab affect Nero,
    > like Alcohol & CloneCD

    I can't see why CloneCD should be the problem - if it isn't running, it
    isn't relevant.

    To the OP, was Nero a version that was bundled with the original drive?
    Often those versions will not work with any other model of drive other
    than the one they were supplied with.

    Try CDBurnerXP Pro3, it's free.

    HTH
    -=rjh=-, Feb 19, 2005
  5. On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:39:01 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:28:20 +1300, SchoolTech
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>We have a PC that had a junk Samsung CDRW/DVDROM combo drive in it,
    >>>which got returned under warranty. The replacement is a Toshiba-Samsung
    >>>H492. Plays DVDs very well. The only problem is that Nero does not
    >>>recognise the drive for recording. The only type of recorder that can be
    >>>selected in Nero is the virtual "Image Recorder" device. Any ideas?

    >> Try loading the Adaptec drivers, also some other software cab affect Nero,
    >> like Alcohol & CloneCD
    >>

    >I can't see why CloneCD should be the problem - if it isn't running, it
    >isn't relevant.

    It does as it installs a ghost Drive and stuff up drivers..

    This is a Fact..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 19, 2005
  6. SchoolTech

    -=rjh=- Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:39:01 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >

    >>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >>>Try loading the Adaptec drivers, also some other software cab affect Nero,
    >>>like Alcohol & CloneCD
    >>>

    >>I can't see why CloneCD should be the problem - if it isn't running, it
    >>isn't relevant.

    > It does as it installs a ghost Drive and stuff up drivers..
    >
    > This is a Fact..

    And this running process is called...?
    -=rjh=-, Feb 19, 2005
  7. SchoolTech

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:52:40 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >>>I can't see why CloneCD should be the problem - if it isn't running, it
    >>>isn't relevant.

    >> It does as it installs a ghost Drive and stuff up drivers..
    >>
    >> This is a Fact..

    >And this running process is called...?

    And you can choose NOT to install the 'ghost' drive during CloneCD's setup.
    Invisible, Feb 19, 2005
  8. SchoolTech

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:52:40 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >
    >> BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >>> It does as it installs a ghost Drive and stuff up drivers..
    >>>
    >>> This is a Fact..

    >> And this running process is called...?

    > And you can choose NOT to install the 'ghost' drive during CloneCD's
    > setup.

    I chose that option yet I still have a CloneCD process running that starts
    automatically on booting and an icon in my systray that is called "CloneCD
    Tray V4.2"
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 19, 2005
  9. SchoolTech

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "~misfit~" <> provided this moment of wisdom....

    >Invisible wrote:

    >>> And this running process is called...?

    >> And you can choose NOT to install the 'ghost' drive during CloneCD's
    >> setup.

    >I chose that option yet I still have a CloneCD process running that starts
    >automatically on booting and an icon in my systray that is called "CloneCD
    >Tray V4.2"

    Right click the icon in the tray - select "do not load at startup" (or
    something similar, IIRC).

    Then close the tray icon (if that option exists).

    Reboot, and you should never have it running as process until you
    explicitly run CloneCD.

    Ryan Jacobs, Feb 19, 2005
  10. ~misfit~ said the following on 20/02/2005 12:39 p.m.:
    > Invisible wrote:

    >>>And this running process is called...?

    >>And you can choose NOT to install the 'ghost' drive during CloneCD's
    >>setup.

    > I chose that option yet I still have a CloneCD process running that starts
    > automatically on booting and an icon in my systray that is called "CloneCD
    > Tray V4.2"
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    That is not the virtual drive process, i have the virtual drive and no
    task/process shows in task manager for it so I assume it is created by a
    device driver loaded at boot. (So Woger is sort of right)

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 20, 2005
  11. SchoolTech

    Bret Guest

    On 20 Feb 2005 00:39:34 +0100, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Invisible wrote:

    >>> And this running process is called...?

    >> And you can choose NOT to install the 'ghost' drive during CloneCD's
    >> setup.

    >I chose that option yet I still have a CloneCD process running that starts
    >automatically on booting and an icon in my systray that is called "CloneCD
    >Tray V4.2"

    Right click and untick autostart, that's always worked for me.
    Bret, Feb 20, 2005
  12. On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:10:20 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >~misfit~ said the following on 20/02/2005 12:39 p.m.:

    >>>And you can choose NOT to install the 'ghost' drive during CloneCD's
    >>>setup.

    >> I chose that option yet I still have a CloneCD process running that starts
    >> automatically on booting and an icon in my systray that is called "CloneCD
    >> Tray V4.2"
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    >That is not the virtual drive process, i have the virtual drive and no
    >task/process shows in task manager for it so I assume it is created by a
    >device driver loaded at boot. (So Woger is sort of right)

    I thought I aways was...-:)
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 20, 2005
  13. BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn said the following on 20/02/2005 1:21 p.m.:
    > On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:10:20 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>~misfit~ said the following on 20/02/2005 12:39 p.m.:

    >>>I chose that option yet I still have a CloneCD process running that starts
    >>>automatically on booting and an icon in my systray that is called "CloneCD
    >>>Tray V4.2"
    >>>--
    >>>~misfit~
    >>>

    >>That is not the virtual drive process, i have the virtual drive and no
    >>task/process shows in task manager for it so I assume it is created by a
    >>device driver loaded at boot. (So Woger is sort of right)

    > I thought I aways was...-:)

    Keep up the good work, we dont all just slam you for the sake of it,
    some of us speak up when needed. :cool:

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 20, 2005
  14. SchoolTech

    Trinity Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:35:36 +1300, Jerry <> wrote:

    >If Nero came with the drive, it is probably fixed to work only with that
    >brand / model of drive. Did any software come with the new drive?
    >Otherwise you might have to get a full version of Nero.
    >
    >Jerry

    I got an OEM copy of Nero Express that stated it only worked with the
    branded drive I got it with. Imagine my surprise when I found out that
    it works with all my burners. I have three burners, one Ricoh CDRW,
    one Lite-on combo DVD/CDRW (Nero came with this one) and one Lite-on
    DVDRW and the copy of Nero Express I got works with all three. I guess
    Nero effed up and I got lucky.
    Trinity, Feb 20, 2005
  15. SchoolTech

    Trinity Guest

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:52:40 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >And this running process is called...?

    Another problem is that all of EA's new games won't install with
    CloneCD or Alcohol120% installed. The games installation process
    detects these progs in the registry and refuses to install.
    Trinity, Feb 20, 2005
  16. SchoolTech

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Trinity wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:52:40 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >

    >>And this running process is called...?

    > Another problem is that all of EA's new games won't install with
    > CloneCD or Alcohol120% installed. The games installation process
    > detects these progs in the registry and refuses to install.

    That's quite a vote of confidence in CloneCD and Alcohol120% :)

    There are legitimate uses of CloneCD, though, so I wonder where
    retailers stand with EA games if you decide to return one because it
    wouldn't install.
    -=rjh=-, Feb 20, 2005
  17. SchoolTech

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:43:59 -0800, Trinity <> says...
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:35:36 +1300, Jerry <> wrote:
    >

    > >If Nero came with the drive, it is probably fixed to work only with that
    > >brand / model of drive. Did any software come with the new drive?
    > >Otherwise you might have to get a full version of Nero.
    > >
    > >Jerry

    > I got an OEM copy of Nero Express that stated it only worked with the
    > branded drive I got it with. Imagine my surprise when I found out that
    > it works with all my burners. I have three burners, one Ricoh CDRW,
    > one Lite-on combo DVD/CDRW (Nero came with this one) and one Lite-on
    > DVDRW and the copy of Nero Express I got works with all three. I guess
    > Nero effed up and I got lucky.

    no id guess that it requiores that drive to install but doesnt care about
    other drives installed once its there
    Adder, Feb 20, 2005
  18. SchoolTech

    Kiwi Guest

    wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:35:36 +1300, Jerry <> wrote:
    >

    >>If Nero came with the drive, it is probably fixed to work only with that
    >>brand / model of drive. Did any software come with the new drive?
    >>Otherwise you might have to get a full version of Nero.
    >>
    >>Jerry

    >I got an OEM copy of Nero Express that stated it only worked with the
    >branded drive I got it with. Imagine my surprise when I found out that
    >it works with all my burners. I have three burners, one Ricoh CDRW,
    >one Lite-on combo DVD/CDRW (Nero came with this one) and one Lite-on
    >DVDRW and the copy of Nero Express I got works with all three. I guess
    >Nero effed up and I got lucky.

    Regarding the OP, I had a version of Nero that come with an A-Open
    cdrw. When that died I replace it with a Liteon dv\cdrw which Nero
    didn't rrecognise. a visit to the Nero website allowed me to check
    the upgrades for the version (5.5.x.x) and download an update which
    sees the drive ok.

    From memory, each update listed the cd/dvd drives that it can operate
    with.

    Cheers, Kiwi
    Kiwi, Feb 20, 2005
  19. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    Kiwi wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:43:59 -0800, Trinity <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:35:36 +1300, Jerry <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>If Nero came with the drive, it is probably fixed to work only with that
    >>>brand / model of drive. Did any software come with the new drive?
    >>>Otherwise you might have to get a full version of Nero.
    >>>
    >>>Jerry

    >>I got an OEM copy of Nero Express that stated it only worked with the
    >>branded drive I got it with. Imagine my surprise when I found out that
    >>it works with all my burners. I have three burners, one Ricoh CDRW,
    >>one Lite-on combo DVD/CDRW (Nero came with this one) and one Lite-on
    >>DVDRW and the copy of Nero Express I got works with all three. I guess
    >>Nero effed up and I got lucky.

    > Regarding the OP, I had a version of Nero that come with an A-Open
    > cdrw. When that died I replace it with a Liteon dv\cdrw which Nero
    > didn't rrecognise. a visit to the Nero website allowed me to check
    > the upgrades for the version (5.5.x.x) and download an update which
    > sees the drive ok.

    It's Nero Burning Rom 5.5

    I have been to Nero's website but couldn't see any updates for that
    version of Nero.

    The Nero is for the old drive so I'll talk to the supplier about a new
    software CD.
    SchoolTech, Feb 20, 2005
  20. SchoolTech

    Mercury Guest

    Its the "Gear" driver. On my system it f'dup cdrw and dvdrw operations.
    Turned out it was a device driver that was hidden as a layered device driver
    ( GearAspi or similar name).
    I came across an earlier version once - this stuff is crap as it installed a
    SCSI device driver, hid the actual CD / DVD drives, trashed the assigned
    drive letters, and replaced the drives with their own.

    Yich.

    To locate it: fire up regedit, open HKEY Local Machine, system, current
    control set, services, and scroll down.

    Initially I renamed the Gear?.sys file in windows\system32\drivers so the
    driver could not be loaded.

    I then worked through all recent s/w installs and removed them until the reg
    keys were deleted.

    In this case I am quite certain it was partition magic.

    HTH.

    Mercury, Feb 20, 2005