    advance for help or site where I can obtain help. I am using nero 6 ultra
    winxp pro sp2. I also have roxio cd creator 6 installed and can use it with
    no problem

    subscriber, Jan 3, 2005

  2. subscriber

    Tapioca Guest

    "subscriber" <> wrote in
    news:CCfCd.13393$ph.6677@okepread01:

    > Unable to find answer to question on google nero tutorial or on nero
    > answer page. Problem is when I try to add data to a dvd-rw disc I get
    > a message that says disc is not empty and will be erased, do I want to
    > continue. Disc already has some data on it and I want to add more, but
    > nero will not allow it without erasing data on disc. Anyone care to
    > tell me what I have done wrong or what setting I need to change to
    > correct the problem. Yes I have checked the box to allow multi
    > sessions or more info to be added. Thanks in advance for help or site
    > where I can obtain help. I am using nero 6 ultra winxp pro sp2. I also
    > have roxio cd creator 6 installed and can use it with no problem

    When you are burning is the box for Finalize Disc checked, if it is then
    uncheck it. This should allow you to keep burning to the same disc.

    --
    Tapioca

    If you have nothing to do then do nothing and enjoy it!

    Tapioca, Jan 3, 2005

  3. subscriber

    subscriber Guest

    Yes it is unchecked.

    subscriber, Jan 3, 2005
  4. subscriber

    Pon Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:52:40 -0600, "subscriber" <>
    wrote:

    >Unable to find answer to question on google nero tutorial or on nero answer
    >page. Problem is when I try to add data to a dvd-rw disc I get a message
    >that says disc is not empty and will be erased, do I want to continue. Disc
    >already has some data on it and I want to add more, but nero will not allow
    >it without erasing data on disc. Anyone care to tell me what I have done
    >wrong or what setting I need to change to correct the problem. Yes I have
    >checked the box to allow multi sessions or more info to be added. Thanks in
    >advance for help or site where I can obtain help. I am using nero 6 ultra
    >winxp pro sp2. I also have roxio cd creator 6 installed and can use it with
    >no problem

    I suspect that you have not enabled "multisession" when initially
    writing to your dvd-rw...?

    Pon, Jan 4, 2005
  5. I did not yet try it with a DVD-RW but with a CD-RW, I format the CD with
    the "InCD formatter" and after I can "copy and paste" in the same manner as
    a floppy. If I use Nero, it use it as a CDR and not a CD-RW.

    It may be the same problem with DVD-RW.

    Rejean

    Réjean Dutil, Jan 4, 2005
  6. subscriber

    PC Guest

    "subscriber" <> wrote in message
    > Unable to find answer to question on google nero tutorial or on nero
    > answer page. Problem is when I try to add data to a dvd-rw disc I get a
    > message that says disc is not empty and will be erased, do I want to
    > continue. Disc already has some data on it and I want to add more, but
    > nero will not allow it without erasing data on disc. Anyone care to tell
    > me what I have done wrong or what setting I need to change to correct the
    > problem. Yes I have checked the box to allow multi sessions or more info
    > to be added. Thanks in advance for help or site where I can obtain help. I
    > am using nero 6 ultra winxp pro sp2. I also have roxio cd creator 6
    > installed and can use it with no problem

    Subscriber

    Think you may not have quite grasped the difference between 'R' and 'RW' and
    their software.

    Try reading the CDR faq at http://www.cdrfaq.org/ . (There are pointers to
    DVD faqs as well)

    In essence 'R' disks (CD or DVD) are written to in 'sessions' using programs
    like Nero. The data recorded to these disks is created by 'burning' the dye
    layer to to a different (permanent) state. Once full they can not be
    'erased' and reused.
    'RW' disks (both CD or DVD again) on the other hand use a dye that is
    reversable and by using packet writing software can be written to just like
    a floppy disk i.e. drag and drop. The software and RW capabilities of the
    drive effectively do all the housework for you. Ahead's (Nero) packet
    writing software for RW's is "InCD"

    The mistake people often make is using the wrong disk and software combo. eg
    'R' disk with InCD or 'RW' disk with Nero.
    In one case you write packet (RW) data structures to an R disk which
    subsequently can't be erased because the dye change is permanent. In the
    other Nero has written 'R' data structures to the RW disk but is not built
    to erase data piecemeal only the whole disk. I think this is what you may
    have done.

    Did I get it right?

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 5, 2005
  7. subscriber

    subscriber Guest

    I fully understand the difference between an r and an rw disc. I have burnt
    approximately 300 r disc's and 300 rw disc all with data from outer space. I
    have never had or encountered this problem until I started using nero. I can
    take the same rw disc that nero tells me it must erase before it will burn
    new data, and burn to it with roxio with no problem. When I try to add new
    data again with nero it will not allow it. Put in data again to the same dvd
    rw with roxio with no problem. Hate to junk nero after spending so much
    money for it but it appears to be useless to me. I should have stated above
    that the disc I have burnt are approximately half and half r and rw with
    some being cd's and others dvd. I am more them familiar with the disc's and
    how to burn them. I just cannot understand why nero does what it does. If I
    put a fresh dvd in and add data one at a time I can add all I want as often
    as I want. When I stop even after burning 6 or 10 different times and wait
    for a couple of hours, it will not allow more data. go figure.

    subscriber, Jan 5, 2005
  8. subscriber

    subscriber Guest

    Problem solved for those who may be interested. As I stated, I have roxio as
    well as nero. I discovered that if some dvd's had partial data installed
    with roxio, data cannot be added with nero. Nero will add data but only if
    it erases data installed by roxio. I do not know the technical reason for
    this, I assume it has something to do with the system used by nero to
    install data and that it is in conflict with roxio. Hope this is beneficial
    to some.

    subscriber, Jan 6, 2005
  9. subscriber

    > Problem solved for those who may be interested. As I stated, I have roxio
    > as well as nero. I discovered that if some dvd's had partial data
    > installed with roxio, data cannot be added with nero. Nero will add data
    > but only if it erases data installed by roxio. I do not know the technical
    > reason for this, I assume it has something to do with the system used by
    > nero to install data and that it is in conflict with roxio. Hope this is
    > beneficial to some.
    >

    > "subscriber" <> wrote in message
    >> Unable to find answer to question on google nero tutorial or on nero
    >> answer page. Problem is when I try to add data to a dvd-rw disc I get a
    >> message that says disc is not empty and will be erased, do I want to
    >> continue. Disc already has some data on it and I want to add more, but
    >> nero will not allow it without erasing data on disc. Anyone care to tell
    >> me what I have done wrong or what setting I need to change to correct the
    >> problem. Yes I have checked the box to allow multi sessions or more info
    >> to be added. Thanks in advance for help or site where I can obtain help.
    >> I am using nero 6 ultra winxp pro sp2. I also have roxio cd creator 6
    >> installed and can use it with no problem

    Ah ha, the old incompatible software problem.

    I had a lot of problems similar to that with RW disks that were used for
    overnight backups, this was doubly complicated by the difference between
    1-4x CDRW's and Hi Speed 4-12x CDRW's.
    Seems not all 'Hi Speed' CDRW drives follow the same 'rules' and I would
    often find the disk's were read only when put in another PC even with the
    same (Nero usually) software.

    Mind you it's not always the software's fault. We had one that would burn
    out a set of CDRW's in a few weeks, replaced the drive, replaced the
    brand/speed of CDRW, still only last a few weeks. You may gather this means
    only 4 or 5 'writes' to each disk as they were rotated daily in sets of 5.
    Hardly 'reliable'
    We eventually traced the problem to the power supply. It was showing correct
    voltages on a digital multimeter, but when we looked at it with an
    Oscilloscope there was nearly a half volt of ripple on the 5 and 12 volt
    lines, well outside the 0.1 volt the drive spec's allowed. Replaced the
    power supply and we are still on the same set of CDRW's six months later.

    Ever since then not only do we scope the powersupply voltages, we often find
    an ATA 66/100 80way data cable can work wonders 'fixing' burner problems
    too.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 9, 2005
  10. subscriber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    | "subscriber" <> wrote in message

    | > "subscriber" <> wrote in message
    | >> Unable to find answer to question on google nero tutorial or on nero
    | >> answer page. Problem is when I try to add data to a dvd-rw disc I get a
    | >> message that says disc is not empty and will be erased, do I want to
    | >> continue. Disc already has some data on it and I want to add more, but
    | >> nero will not allow it without erasing data on disc. Anyone care to
    tell
    | >> me what I have done wrong or what setting I need to change to correct
    the
    | >> problem. Yes I have checked the box to allow multi sessions or more
    info
    | >> to be added. Thanks in advance for help or site where I can obtain
    help.
    | >> I am using nero 6 ultra winxp pro sp2. I also have roxio cd creator 6
    | >> installed and can use it with no problem
    | >>

    | > Problem solved for those who may be interested. As I stated, I have
    roxio
    | > as well as nero. I discovered that if some dvd's had partial data
    | > installed with roxio, data cannot be added with nero. Nero will add data
    | > but only if it erases data installed by roxio. I do not know the
    technical
    | > reason for this, I assume it has something to do with the system used by
    | > nero to install data and that it is in conflict with roxio. Hope this is
    | > beneficial to some.
    | >

    | Ah ha, the old incompatible software problem.
    |
    | I had a lot of problems similar to that with RW disks that were used for
    | overnight backups, this was doubly complicated by the difference between
    | 1-4x CDRW's and Hi Speed 4-12x CDRW's.
    | Seems not all 'Hi Speed' CDRW drives follow the same 'rules' and I would
    | often find the disk's were read only when put in another PC even with the
    | same (Nero usually) software.
    |
    | Mind you it's not always the software's fault. We had one that would burn
    | out a set of CDRW's in a few weeks, replaced the drive, replaced the
    | brand/speed of CDRW, still only last a few weeks. You may gather this
    means
    | only 4 or 5 'writes' to each disk as they were rotated daily in sets of 5.
    | Hardly 'reliable'
    | We eventually traced the problem to the power supply. It was showing
    correct
    | voltages on a digital multimeter, but when we looked at it with an
    | Oscilloscope there was nearly a half volt of ripple on the 5 and 12 volt
    | lines, well outside the 0.1 volt the drive spec's allowed. Replaced the
    | power supply and we are still on the same set of CDRW's six months later.
    |
    | Ever since then not only do we scope the powersupply voltages, we often
    find
    | an ATA 66/100 80way data cable can work wonders 'fixing' burner problems
    | too.
    |
    | Cheers
    | Paul.

    Your comments on the poor power regulation is enlightening. I can certainly
    see how dirty power could affect the quality/usability of both the drive and
    the media.

    And I'd been wondering about that 80 wire cable for CD drives myself. Since
    I have them, I use them. That way if I toss a HD in for checking, the cable
    is already what I need. It certainly never hurt using the 80. So you think
    the isolation helps?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2005
  11. subscriber

    PC Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

> [...]
    > later.
    > |
    > | Ever since then not only do we scope the powersupply voltages, we often
    > find
    > | an ATA 66/100 80way data cable can work wonders 'fixing' burner problems
    > | too.
    > |
    > | Cheers
    > | Paul.
    > |
    > Your comments on the poor power regulation is enlightening. I can
    > certainly
    > see how dirty power could affect the quality/usability of both the drive
    > and
    > the media.
    >
    > And I'd been wondering about that 80 wire cable for CD drives myself.
    > Since
    > I have them, I use them. That way if I toss a HD in for checking, the
    > cable
    > is already what I need. It certainly never hurt using the 80. So you think

    Yep, extra filtering on any sort of electronic device doesn't go amiss.

    Another example relating to DSE XH1169 ADSL modem/switchs. I've installed
    several of these, most worked fine. One however started to play up when the
    business shifted to a new premises (new as in new build from the ground up)
    Every few days they would 'loose' the Internet. I'd go down and reset the
    XH1169 (just turn it off and on) and all would be well.
    In the end I built an adaptor for the plug pack that put a 1000uf and a 10nf
    on the supply line.
    Haven't had any problems in 3 months now.

    I've also found an emergency filter made of 2 x 470uf mounted in a disk
    drive molex plug can often keep a power supply going long enough to order a
    replacement. Mind you the exploding capacitor problem behoves me to keep at
    least 2 in stock these days.

    Cheers, gota go replace a mb with bulging caps.

    Paul.

    PC, Jan 11, 2005