    set to read only and if I copy them back to the hard disk I have the
    change the attributes file by file. Is there a setting in Nero to burn
    them with the same attributes as on the original file. ?
    Frank D, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Frank D

    Night_Seer Guest

    Frank D wrote:
    > Been reading the recent posts about Nero. I cannot compare it to other
    > CD burners but it works OK.
    >
    > Whenever I burn a CD all of the files on the CD have their attributes
    > set to read only and if I copy them back to the hard disk I have the
    > change the attributes file by file. Is there a setting in Nero to burn
    > them with the same attributes as on the original file. ?

    Files on a CD are ALWAYS read-only. So whether you use a burned cd or a
    pressed cd, anything you take off of a cd and put on your hard drive
    will be read-only. You must go through and change it yourself.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Frank D

    Night_Seer Guest

    Night_Seer wrote:
    > Frank D wrote:
    >> Been reading the recent posts about Nero. I cannot compare it to
    >> other CD burners but it works OK.
    >>
    >> Whenever I burn a CD all of the files on the CD have their attributes
    >> set to read only and if I copy them back to the hard disk I have the
    >> change the attributes file by file. Is there a setting in Nero to
    >> burn them with the same attributes as on the original file. ?

    > Files on a CD are ALWAYS read-only. So whether you use a burned cd
    > or a pressed cd, anything you take off of a cd and put on your hard
    > drive will be read-only. You must go through and change it yourself.

    Well except when you rip music, it seems they are not always read
    only...my mistake.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Frank D

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > Well except when you rip music, it seems they are not always read
    > only...my mistake.

    Ripping music doesn't copy a file. Ripping music reads the raw music data
    and writes a new file.

    To the OP, you could use the command line based ATTRIB command, as in:
    ATTRIB -r *.* /s
    This will remove the read only (-r), on all files (*.*) in the current and
    all subdirectories (/s)

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Frank D

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> Well except when you rip music, it seems they are not always read
    >> only...my mistake.
    >>

    > Ripping music doesn't copy a file. Ripping music reads the raw music
    > data and writes a new file.
    >
    > To the OP, you could use the command line based ATTRIB command, as in:
    > ATTRIB -r *.* /s
    > This will remove the read only (-r), on all files (*.*) in the
    > current and all subdirectories (/s)

    I guess that has something to do with redbook, that I don't understand
    fully. I thought reading something and then writing the exact same
    thing on your HD, meant copying...well obviously it doesn't or they
    wouldn't call it ripping.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Frank D

    > I guess that has something to do with redbook, that I don't understand
    > fully. I thought reading something and then writing the exact same
    > thing on your HD, meant copying...well obviously it doesn't or they
    > wouldn't call it ripping.

    Music on an audio CD isn't stored as files like data CDs are. Data CDs
    have files with file attributes. Copying a file from CD to HD is just like
    copying from HD to HD. If you copy a readonly file from one folder to
    another it is still read only. If you copy a readonly file on a CD (unless
    you are using packet writing, all files on a CD are read only), it ends up
    readonly on the other side. Ripping music is different. A program has to
    read the audio tracks, convert them to a .wav, .mp3, or .ogg file format
    and write a new file to the disc. It isn't a file being copied, rather a
    file being created.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Frank D

    Ardent Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:19:10 GMT, (Frank D)
    wrote:

    >Whenever I burn a CD all of the files on the CD have their attributes
    >set to read only and if I copy them back to the hard disk I have the
    >change the attributes file by file. Is there a setting in Nero to burn
    >them with the same attributes as on the original file. ?

    While others have explained why the read only attribute here is some
    help.

    If you do copy lots of files frequently from data CDs like I do then
    the read only attribute becomes a problem. Servant Salamander, the 2
    pane file browser has a setting by which it automatically removes the
    read only attribute while copying from CDs.

    I have ver 1.51 which is freeware and a nifty program. Got it several
    years back, so no hab\ndy uri. Search Google.

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only
    Ardent, Oct 31, 2003