Nero alarming behaviour

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by karlengel@excite.com, May 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Not trusting hard drives, I burn my digital photos to DVD+R as soon as
    they're on my computer, and back up that DVD monthly. I usually don't
    keep the shots on my hard drive after burning them.

    Upon opening Nero EXpress (6.3.1.25) in preparation for a backup burn,
    and before adding any new photos to the layout, it said that 3
    folders/files had been replaced. In my experience Nero does this
    automatically when files from the same source folder with the same name
    as ones on the target disk have changed, which makes doing backups
    quick - but I'm always afraid that if I happened to give a new photo
    the same name as one already on the disk it will be automatically
    replaced unless I'm careful. So I scrolled to see which files were
    being replaced, and discovered something odd. Nero was ready to
    replace three photos, each around 1.5MB, with versions I had emailed to
    people, about 65KB in size.

    Now my email program is on a different computer, since (for security
    reasons) my main computer isn't net-connected. When I want to create
    email versions of photos I usually right-click on the image, choose
    Send to>Mail Recipient, and transfer the smaller images from my desktop
    to my email computer via drag 'n' drop formatted CD-R/DVD+R, then
    delete them from the first computer if I haven't done a direct
    (Shift+Drag) transfer to the disk.

    These new "replacement" email-sized photo files in the Nero layout
    certainly weren't in the source folder, so I did a search to find where
    on the computer Nero had found them. The search turned up NOTHING. In
    fact the full-sized versions were still in the Recycle Bin, but no sign
    of the email versions on any partition or connected drive. I assume if
    I hadn't looked closely and had just carried on and added my new photos
    to the layout before burning, I would have lost the original high-res
    versions of these three files from my backup.

    I checked I had the full-res versions on my main photos DVD, and
    transferred them to my Desktop, in preparation for an experiment: to do
    the burn and see if Nero really did "lose" the originals from the disc,
    which I could add again later. But opening Nero again, it no longer
    replaced the three files. I moved the three "safety" files off my
    Desktop and onto removable media (which I removed) and opened Nero
    again, but still no file replacing.

    So now I not only can't work out where it was getting the replacement
    files from, but can't repeat it, so it has me baffled - and alarmed
    because of how easily I could have lost the originals from my backup
    disk.
    , May 1, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Not trusting hard drives, I burn my digital photos to DVD+R as soon as
    > they're on my computer, and back up that DVD monthly. I usually don't
    > keep the shots on my hard drive after burning them.
    >
    > Upon opening Nero EXpress (6.3.1.25) in preparation for a backup burn,
    > and before adding any new photos to the layout, it said that 3
    > folders/files had been replaced. In my experience Nero does this
    > automatically when files from the same source folder with the same
    > name as ones on the target disk have changed, which makes doing
    > backups quick - but I'm always afraid that if I happened to give a
    > new photo the same name as one already on the disk it will be
    > automatically replaced unless I'm careful. So I scrolled to see
    > which files were being replaced, and discovered something odd. Nero
    > was ready to replace three photos, each around 1.5MB, with versions I
    > had emailed to people, about 65KB in size.
    >
    > Now my email program is on a different computer, since (for security
    > reasons) my main computer isn't net-connected. When I want to create
    > email versions of photos I usually right-click on the image, choose
    > Send to>Mail Recipient, and transfer the smaller images from my
    > desktop to my email computer via drag 'n' drop formatted CD-R/DVD+R,
    > then delete them from the first computer if I haven't done a direct
    > (Shift+Drag) transfer to the disk.
    >
    > These new "replacement" email-sized photo files in the Nero layout
    > certainly weren't in the source folder, so I did a search to find
    > where on the computer Nero had found them. The search turned up
    > NOTHING. In fact the full-sized versions were still in the Recycle
    > Bin, but no sign of the email versions on any partition or connected
    > drive. I assume if I hadn't looked closely and had just carried on
    > and added my new photos to the layout before burning, I would have
    > lost the original high-res versions of these three files from my
    > backup.
    >
    > I checked I had the full-res versions on my main photos DVD, and
    > transferred them to my Desktop, in preparation for an experiment: to
    > do the burn and see if Nero really did "lose" the originals from the
    > disc, which I could add again later. But opening Nero again, it no
    > longer replaced the three files. I moved the three "safety" files
    > off my Desktop and onto removable media (which I removed) and opened
    > Nero again, but still no file replacing.
    >
    > So now I not only can't work out where it was getting the replacement
    > files from, but can't repeat it, so it has me baffled - and alarmed
    > because of how easily I could have lost the originals from my backup
    > disk.

    Do you ever get the impression that computers are not for you?
    Life should be simple and carefree. Why hasten the end by worrying all the
    time?

    DP
    Dennis Pogson, May 1, 2006

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Not trusting hard drives, I burn my digital photos to DVD+R as soon as
    > they're on my computer, and back up that DVD monthly. I usually don't
    > keep the shots on my hard drive after burning them.
    >
    > Upon opening Nero EXpress (6.3.1.25) in preparation for a backup burn,
    > and before adding any new photos to the layout, it said that 3
    > folders/files had been replaced. In my experience Nero does this
    > automatically when files from the same source folder with the same name
    > as ones on the target disk have changed, which makes doing backups
    > quick - but I'm always afraid that if I happened to give a new photo
    > the same name as one already on the disk it will be automatically
    > replaced unless I'm careful. So I scrolled to see which files were
    > being replaced, and discovered something odd. Nero was ready to
    > replace three photos, each around 1.5MB, with versions I had emailed to
    > people, about 65KB in size.
    >
    > Now my email program is on a different computer, since (for security
    > reasons) my main computer isn't net-connected. When I want to create
    > email versions of photos I usually right-click on the image, choose
    > Send to>Mail Recipient, and transfer the smaller images from my desktop
    > to my email computer via drag 'n' drop formatted CD-R/DVD+R, then
    > delete them from the first computer if I haven't done a direct
    > (Shift+Drag) transfer to the disk.
    >
    > These new "replacement" email-sized photo files in the Nero layout
    > certainly weren't in the source folder, so I did a search to find where
    > on the computer Nero had found them. The search turned up NOTHING. In
    > fact the full-sized versions were still in the Recycle Bin, but no sign
    > of the email versions on any partition or connected drive. I assume if
    > I hadn't looked closely and had just carried on and added my new photos
    > to the layout before burning, I would have lost the original high-res
    > versions of these three files from my backup.
    >
    > I checked I had the full-res versions on my main photos DVD, and
    > transferred them to my Desktop, in preparation for an experiment: to do
    > the burn and see if Nero really did "lose" the originals from the disc,
    > which I could add again later. But opening Nero again, it no longer
    > replaced the three files. I moved the three "safety" files off my
    > Desktop and onto removable media (which I removed) and opened Nero
    > again, but still no file replacing.
    >
    > So now I not only can't work out where it was getting the replacement
    > files from, but can't repeat it, so it has me baffled - and alarmed
    > because of how easily I could have lost the originals from my backup
    > disk.

    Hi.

    There are always chances of us doing something stupid, and completely
    messing up what we started out to do.

    A couple of thoughts.

    Continue to burn your images to Cd or DVD as soon as you get them onto the
    computer.

    Do NOT Delete them until you have sufficient to completely fill a blank DVD
    or CD. Then select and Burn them onto 2 different makes of CD or DVD, and
    "Close" the Media.

    ( 1 Burning only, and no re-burning, which can give rise to the sort of
    problem you describe.)

    So you should now have 3 copies of every image on removable media. The bits
    and pieces ones could be dumped.

    Keep one of the "Full" media someplace else, in a different building, or
    even your car (provided it is never kept within the main structure of your
    house). This is your "Fall Back" Back - Up. Check it and re-record every
    couple of years, but do not use it otherwise.

    The other Full ones are your "everyday" Back -Ups for when you accidentally
    delete something by mistake or for when your hard drive fails. Again check
    and re-record every couple of years.

    Hard Drives & Removable Hard Drives are so cheap nowadays, that you should
    be able to keep all your image files on them, and only use the Cds or DVDs
    for Back Up purposes.

    A removable HDD would give you another set of Back Up Files.

    Roy G
    Roy G, May 1, 2006
  4. Roy G Guest

    Roy G, May 1, 2006
  5. Guest

    I appreciate the strategy you suggest.

    But can someone please tell me what Nero's rules usually are for
    replacing files in this way - ie when opened for a new burn session of
    a multi-session disk and it tells you "x folders/files have been
    replaced" before you've added any new ones to the layout?

    My understanding is the replaced files have to be in the same source
    folder and have the same name for this to occur.
    , May 1, 2006
  6. Ï "Roy G" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
> [...]

    bits
    > and pieces ones could be dumped.
    >
    > Keep one of the "Full" media someplace else, in a different building, or
    > even your car (provided it is never kept within the main structure of your
    > house). This is your "Fall Back" Back - Up. Check it and re-record every
    > couple of years, but do not use it otherwise.
    >
    > The other Full ones are your "everyday" Back -Ups for when you

    accidentally
    > delete something by mistake or for when your hard drive fails. Again

    check
    > and re-record every couple of years.
    >
    > Hard Drives & Removable Hard Drives are so cheap nowadays, that you should
    > be able to keep all your image files on them, and only use the Cds or DVDs
    > for Back Up purposes.
    >
    > A removable HDD would give you another set of Back Up Files.

    Yeah, I agree.Do burn them on CD-R/W immediately, keep the hard rive copies
    (Hard rives being so cheap today) and renew the CD R/W backup regularly, and
    do at least 2 CD-R copies when you have enough photos to fill one.I
    personally am extremely careful with my computer (viruses, trojans and all
    this) make a CD-R once a year and renew my CD R/W every couple of months.I
    trust my HDD however.And there's another copy, on remote computers, thus my
    cousin in Canada, I usually email him the full-res picture.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, May 1, 2006
  7. Paul J Gans Guest

    wrote:
    >Not trusting hard drives, I burn my digital photos to DVD+R as soon as
    >they're on my computer, and back up that DVD monthly. I usually don't
    >keep the shots on my hard drive after burning them.

    >Upon opening Nero EXpress (6.3.1.25) in preparation for a backup burn,
    >and before adding any new photos to the layout, it said that 3
    >folders/files had been replaced. In my experience Nero does this
    >automatically when files from the same source folder with the same name
    >as ones on the target disk have changed, which makes doing backups
    >quick - but I'm always afraid that if I happened to give a new photo
    >the same name as one already on the disk it will be automatically
    >replaced unless I'm careful. So I scrolled to see which files were
    >being replaced, and discovered something odd. Nero was ready to
    >replace three photos, each around 1.5MB, with versions I had emailed to
    >people, about 65KB in size.

    >Now my email program is on a different computer, since (for security
    >reasons) my main computer isn't net-connected. When I want to create
    >email versions of photos I usually right-click on the image, choose
    >Send to>Mail Recipient, and transfer the smaller images from my desktop
    >to my email computer via drag 'n' drop formatted CD-R/DVD+R, then
    >delete them from the first computer if I haven't done a direct
    >(Shift+Drag) transfer to the disk.

    >These new "replacement" email-sized photo files in the Nero layout
    >certainly weren't in the source folder, so I did a search to find where
    >on the computer Nero had found them. The search turned up NOTHING. In
    >fact the full-sized versions were still in the Recycle Bin, but no sign
    >of the email versions on any partition or connected drive. I assume if
    >I hadn't looked closely and had just carried on and added my new photos
    >to the layout before burning, I would have lost the original high-res
    >versions of these three files from my backup.

    >I checked I had the full-res versions on my main photos DVD, and
    >transferred them to my Desktop, in preparation for an experiment: to do
    >the burn and see if Nero really did "lose" the originals from the disc,
    >which I could add again later. But opening Nero again, it no longer
    >replaced the three files. I moved the three "safety" files off my
    >Desktop and onto removable media (which I removed) and opened Nero
    >again, but still no file replacing.

    >So now I not only can't work out where it was getting the replacement
    >files from, but can't repeat it, so it has me baffled - and alarmed
    >because of how easily I could have lost the originals from my backup
    >disk.

    I am going to say something inflammatory.

    Do NOT use software that thinks for you. You will be
    sorry.

    NO software should replace files for you unless you initiate
    the replacement.

    This is one of the bad things about making computers "user
    friendly". You get into this sort of situation.

    Even some Linux distributions are going this route. It is
    an abomination.

    ----- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, May 2, 2006