Nero: Actual media or download?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kompu Kid, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    Local electronics store is selling Nero 6 Ultra for 70 bucks. There is
    a rebate but I don't qualify.

    I am noticing that places like CDW.com are selling a "License only"
    version for $25.

    See http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=587787

    I assume I would have to download the software from Nero and then use
    the serial number from CDW.

    Anybody has purchased a copy of Nero this way? Any pitfalls?

    (I see one downside: When I want to upgrade to a new paid version, I
    may not be able to qualify for a rebate, if there is any, if the rebate
    asks for documentaion of ownership of the previous version in the form
    of a piece of the packaging/manual.)

    Deguza

    Kompu Kid, Jan 11, 2005

  2. On 10 Jan 2005 22:24:56 -0800, "Kompu Kid" <> wrote:

    >Local electronics store is selling Nero 6 Ultra for 70 bucks. There is
    >a rebate but I don't qualify.
    >
    >I am noticing that places like CDW.com are selling a "License only"
    >version for $25.
    >
    >See http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=587787
    >
    >I assume I would have to download the software from Nero and then use
    >the serial number from CDW.
    >
    >Anybody has purchased a copy of Nero this way? Any pitfalls?
    >
    >(I see one downside: When I want to upgrade to a new paid version, I
    >may not be able to qualify for a rebate, if there is any, if the rebate
    >asks for documentaion of ownership of the previous version in the form
    >of a piece of the packaging/manual.)
    >
    >Deguza

    Your valid serial number, bought from Nero AG or an authorized
    reseller, should be your proof of purchase. This means

    - if your internet connection is fast enough, you can download
    everything the cd contains from http://www.nero.com

    - since you get a full, unrestricted license by ordering just a serial
    number (providing it is authorized), you should also qualify for any
    rabate offered. Nero will never ask for a piece of the previous
    documentation but always tells you to enter the serial you bought
    before.

    But since cdw.com offers a really cheap price, you have to be careful
    not to buy an OEM version. There is an OEM Suite I, II, and III. I
    lacks several programs and plugins, II and II have some of the missing
    plugins but not all programs either. If you want to use everythning
    Nero provides, you should definitely get the retail version.

    Johannes R. Postel, Jan 11, 2005

  3. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:08:26 +0100, Johannes R. Postel <>
    wrote:

    >But since cdw.com offers a really cheap price, you have to be careful
    >not to buy an OEM version. There is an OEM Suite I, II, and III. I
    >lacks several programs and plugins, II and II have some of the missing
    >plugins but not all programs either. If you want to use everythning
    >Nero provides, you should definitely get the retail version.

    I forgot to mention that the variant you get depends on the serial
    number *only*. So even if you download the full retail package from
    www.nero.com and only have an OEM I serial number, you can only user
    the programs that are included in OEM I.

    Since cdw.com does not write which version you get, it is not unlikely
    that they only an OEM serial.

    Johannes R. Postel, Jan 11, 2005
  4. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    Thank you for your reply.

    I looked at CDW's web pages. They have references to the following
    "Manufacturer's part numbers", I assume in this case Nero's numbers:

    2434NL20
    243NL10
    2434NL50
    60045

    Which one of these would be the version that contains all the products?
    Deguza

    Kompu Kid, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Kompu Kid

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    Kompu Kid wrote:

    > Local electronics store is selling Nero 6 Ultra for 70 bucks. There is
    > a rebate but I don't qualify.
    >
    > I am noticing that places like CDW.com are selling a "License only"
    > version for $25.
    >
    > See http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=587787
    >
    > I assume I would have to download the software from Nero and then use
    > the serial number from CDW.
    >
    > Anybody has purchased a copy of Nero this way? Any pitfalls?
    >
    > (I see one downside: When I want to upgrade to a new paid version, I
    > may not be able to qualify for a rebate, if there is any, if the rebate
    > asks for documentaion of ownership of the previous version in the form
    > of a piece of the packaging/manual.)

    To confuse you more, check out:
    http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2457082/search=ahead nero 6

    You may also post in the Ahead forum where Ahead Tech support personnel
    show up:
    http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/index.php

    Who Is Mike Richter and
    Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    (No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the following is a LIBEL)
    ( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

    What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
    What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

    Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

    Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

    What an Asshole

    smh, Jan 12, 2005