Nero 8 v8.3.2.1 released today

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Mar 12, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Mar 12, 2008

  2. Colin Barnhorst, Mar 12, 2008

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Yes, I will confess...
    I..., well...., sort of..., kinda like it.
    (I did it, I said it).
    My only precaution is always to do a custom install and choose the minimum
    set I want.
    No further comments, I do know that Charlie will have something to say about
    this and whatever I may say can and will be used against me (where did I
    heard that last part before?).
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 12, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Kue2, Mar 13, 2008
  5. Charlie will probably say something like, "Step away from the keyboard. Put
    the mouse down slowly and no one will be hurt." :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 13, 2008
  6. no, I'm about like you. I use it, but only the most minimal custom install
    and even then I grimace. And I admit - I haven't "upgraded" to the latest
    version. I'm still back at 7.something. And wishing 6.something worked
    better under Vista so I could stay with it. Sigh.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 13, 2008
  7. <grin>

    Sorely tempted.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 13, 2008
  8. You _are_ a glutton for punishment. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 13, 2008
  9. Carlos

    KevinD Guest

    Since there are some Nero "experts" here............why do these upgrades
    take so long? Is it normal for it to take over an hour? I have a fairly
    beefed up system that effortlessly runs everything I throw at it but these
    upgrades just take forever.

    Since I started......one more comment / question. After the upgrade,
    everytime I boot my machine I get a message stating "Nero Home" crashed and
    will be shut down. What would cause that at startup?

    KevinD, Mar 13, 2008
  10. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    KevinD,
    Nero is bloatware.
    If you don't make a custom install and instead go for the whole package, the
    update process can take eons.
    Nero Home is one of the useless items I discard during my custom install.
    I'd suggest you go that route.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 13, 2008
  11. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Two pieces of advice.
    Even though you and I choose a custom install, two items still manage to
    make their way into our systems and must be deleted/unistalled/stopped/killed.
    #1.- If you look at the services running in your machine you will find
    NMIndexingservice.exe and/or NMIndexStore.exe. Stop them and disable it as a
    service.
    #2.- Nero Scout also gets installed. There's a command line that can be run
    to uninstall it but I don't have it here right now. You may want to goole for
    "NeroScout removal".
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 13, 2008
  12. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Mar 13, 2008
  13. Carlos

    KevinD Guest

    LOL.......I guess it does have a bunch of crap in there I'll never use.
    It's all on my machine now (after about 1.5 hours upgrade process) so I'll
    let it stay. Next time I'll have to see what I can do to slim it down.

    Thanks Carlos!! :)

    KevinD, Mar 13, 2008
  14. Carlos

    John Barnes Guest

    If it Nero Home keeps crashing at startup, why don't you just remove it from
    the startup menu?

    John Barnes, Mar 13, 2008
  15. Both good points. We need to put up a blog post on how to install and
    configure for minimum overhead/footprint. Then we can just reference the
    blog post. If you want to do it, I'll give you post in rights on the
    xperts64 blog.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 13, 2008
  16. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I will let you know as soon as I can find some free time for doing the blog
    thing (never done it!).
    I am started with classes at the University during the night (i.e., my
    second job) as a Power Electronics professor in these days so I am more
    devoted to high amps than megabits!

    Regarding the Nero Scout removal command, this is the one for x86 systems:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"
    and this is the one for x64 systems:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common
    Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"

    That should do it.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 13, 2008
  17. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    This is good stuf:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/nero-7-dont-want-install-neroscout-how-remove-154953/

    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 13, 2008
  18. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    These are my notes for a "lean" installation for Nero.
    Publish/share/destroy them as required.

    Start the installer.
    Uncheck "Make Ask my default browser search" and check "Install Nero without
    the Ask Toolbar"
    Click Next.
    Wait for the "Preparing installation" moving bar.
    Click Next on the Nero Installation Wizard screen, and accept the license
    agreement.
    Click Next and select Custom on the next screen. Click on Next.
    Wait for the "Preparing installation" moving bar.
    Click Next on the Language Selection.
    Disable Nero Home, Nero BackItUp, Nero SoundTrax, Nero ShowTime, Nero
    MediaHome; Nero Recode, Tools, Special Features.
    Click Next, Install.
    On the Settings Screen, uncheck everything and check only the associations
    you need.
    Then click Next.
    Click Finish to end.

    After the required reboot...
    Run Regedit.
    Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    delete the NBKeyScan entry.
    (Nero 7 may install a NeroFilterCheck entry, delete it)
    Press Shift-Ctrl-Esc and go to the Process tab.
    Terminate NMFirstStart.exe and NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
    Run services.msc
    Stop and then disable forever the NMIndexing Service.
    Uninstall NeroScout by
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common
    Files\Nero\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll" for Nero 8
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common
    Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll" for Nero 7

    And that's all about it!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 13, 2008
  19. Carlos

    Guest

    On Mar 12, 3:00 pm, Carlos <> wrote:
    > This one goes for my friend "Kue2".
    > Nero has just released a new version of its (in)famous burning suite.http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero8-update.php?NeroSID=7d895da257...
    > Love it or hate it.
    > It is your choice.
    > No release notes yet.
    > :)
    > Carlos

    I had some registry issues and tried to reinstall Nero 7. Big mistake.
    Many items are install once to avoid someone taking one copy and
    installing it on a few machines.

    I finally tracked down my Nero box so I can get permission to
    reinstall the software. However, I think in the future I won't buy
    Nero. I've been using Imageburn and DVDFlick. Not as easy to use, but
    no "security" issues.
    , Mar 15, 2008