Nero 6 burning slow... HELP

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jerham, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. jerham

    jerham Guest

    Using nero 6 latest, my 4x burning takes 30 minutes, not 15

    Simulation takes 15 minutes, but actual write to disk takes 30.

    I have two different burners, Sony DRU510 and the LG 4160

    Operating system xp pro, svcpak2, 1 gig memory 3.2e intel.

    The secondary ide is set to dma mode 2.

    Tried three different movies from disk, made no difference in burning time.

    Tried two different media, ridata and platinum.

    This is a asus p4c800 intel 875 chipset.

    This my new main machine, my bu machine has two similar drives and does
    not do this with either media.

    This has me confused.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    jerham, Sep 28, 2004

  2. jerham

    M.B. Guest

    jerham wrote:
    > Using nero 6 latest, my 4x burning takes 30 minutes, not 15
    >
    > Simulation takes 15 minutes, but actual write to disk takes 30.
    >
    > I have two different burners, Sony DRU510 and the LG 4160
    >
    > Operating system xp pro, svcpak2, 1 gig memory 3.2e intel.
    >
    > The secondary ide is set to dma mode 2.
    >
    > Tried three different movies from disk, made no difference in burning time.
    >
    > Tried two different media, ridata and platinum.
    >
    > This is a asus p4c800 intel 875 chipset.
    >
    > This my new main machine, my bu machine has two similar drives and does
    > not do this with either media.
    >
    > This has me confused.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Try updating the firmware for the burners.
    M.B., Sep 28, 2004

  3. jerham

    luminos Guest

    Make sure DMA transfer mode is enabled for the two burners and not PIO mode.
    Your description sounds like you are stuck in PIO mode.

    luminos, Sep 28, 2004
  4. "jerham" <> wrote in message
    > Using nero 6 latest, my 4x burning takes 30 minutes, not 15
    >
    > Simulation takes 15 minutes, but actual write to disk takes 30.
    >
    > I have two different burners, Sony DRU510 and the LG 4160
    >
    > Operating system xp pro, svcpak2, 1 gig memory 3.2e intel.
    >
    > The secondary ide is set to dma mode 2.
    >
    > Tried three different movies from disk, made no difference in burning

    time.

    > Tried two different media, ridata and platinum.
    >
    > This is a asus p4c800 intel 875 chipset.
    >
    > This my new main machine, my bu machine has two similar drives and does
    > not do this with either media.
    >
    > This has me confused.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Are you sure that the disks you are using are that fast? The burner reads
    the speed of the disk off of the disk before it burns and will use that as
    the maximum speed. The choice of media can also have an effect. The burner
    as part of the recording process peforms a trial burn on an area of the disk
    specially reserved for the purpose. If it determines that it cannot
    reliably burn at the rated speed, it will go slower. Further if you are
    using Packet Incremental Format writing on CD-Rs or CD-RWs, then this is
    usually slower than a normal burn.

    As a final point, note that the rated burn speed in many burners refers to
    only the outer part of the disk surface. The burn speed at the start of the
    disk (the inside) is frequently much slower, often half the rated speed, but
    can be even slower, particularly in the higher speed drives.

    Ian.
    Electric Fan Club, Sep 29, 2004
  5. jerham

    Theodore Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:11:06 GMT, jerham <> wrote:

    >Using nero 6 latest, my 4x burning takes 30 minutes, not 15
    >
    >Simulation takes 15 minutes, but actual write to disk takes 30.
    >
    >I have two different burners, Sony DRU510 and the LG 4160
    >
    >Operating system xp pro, svcpak2, 1 gig memory 3.2e intel.

    Did you face this problem after installing SP2 on XP? If so then get
    rid of SP2 or upgrade to the latest version of Nero.
    Theodore, Sep 29, 2004
  6. jerham

    jerham Guest

    Did the both upgrades, some movies do burn faster though.

    jerham, Sep 30, 2004
  7. jerham

    jerham Guest

    Yes, they are rated4x and do burn at 4x with a older drive in my bu machine.

    jerham, Sep 30, 2004
  8. jerham

    Mellon Guest

    I have the same configuration.
    Same Burner.
    I have upgrade with the last service pack for winXp, but i've the same
    problem with Nero and Alcohol (last version)
    Maybe is Sp2... because before my last upgrade (now i've 3200+ Athlon
    64 with K8vSE) i burn well (simulation 4X, burn 4X).
    PS: Nero is last version for me

    Mellon

    Mellon, Oct 18, 2004