Neophyte wireless question Wired and Wireless bridging

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paolo, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. Paolo

    Paolo Guest

    I have a small SOHO wired network with a Linksys router (BEFSR41), uplinked
    to a Netgear Switch (GS108), and on ot the wired computers. I have recently
    aquired a portable computer that is 802.11b compliant, and my daughter has a
    portable too that has wireless capability. I would like to keep my old
    wired network, and build up a new wireless one. I have been looking into
    wirelessAccess Points, such as Linksys WAP54G. I was planning to just hook
    it into a spare Ethernet plug.

    -Question 1 - Will this WAP serve more than one wireless computer?

    -Question 2 - The Router and the Hub are in the basement, not an ideal
    location for a wireless device, it seems from reading here on the net. Any
    recommendations on a topology for this layout?

    -Question 3 - My portable (IBM Thinkpad T42) is only 802.11b compliant, but
    I do plan on adding more wireless computers and devices to the network,
    which may be 802.11g compliant in the next 6 or 7 months. Are the 802.11g
    NAP devices' downward compatibility to 802.11b good enough to go directly
    with a 802.11g device? (I plan on experimenting a bit with wireless
    devices.)

    Any recommendations in general on equipment?

    TIA,

    Paolo

    Paolo, Dec 3, 2005

  2. In news:Vshkf.162$,
    Paolo <> typed:
    > I have a small SOHO wired network with a Linksys router (BEFSR41),
    > uplinked to a Netgear Switch (GS108), and on ot the wired computers. I
    > have recently aquired a portable computer that is 802.11b
    > compliant, and my daughter has a portable too that has wireless
    > capability. I would like to keep my old wired network, and build up
    > a new wireless one. I have been looking into wirelessAccess Points,
    > such as Linksys WAP54G. I was planning to just hook it into a spare
    > Ethernet plug.
    > -Question 1 - Will this WAP serve more than one wireless computer?

    Yes.

    > -Question 2 - The Router and the Hub are in the basement, not an
    > ideal location for a wireless device, it seems from reading here on
    > the net. Any recommendations on a topology for this layout?

    If you have Ethernet cabling upstairs, you can connect the WAP there, rather
    than plugging it directly into the router.

    > -Question 3 - My portable (IBM Thinkpad T42) is only 802.11b
    > compliant, but I do plan on adding more wireless computers and
    > devices to the network, which may be 802.11g compliant in the next 6
    > or 7 months. Are the 802.11g NAP devices' downward compatibility to
    > 802.11b good enough to go directly with a 802.11g device? (I plan
    > on experimenting a bit with wireless devices.)

    Yes, but as far as I know, if you have a G-capable WAP and even one of the
    clients connects as B, everyone else will slow down to 11Mbps max.

    > Any recommendations in general on equipment?

    Make sure it's got some capacity for encryption - WEP is barely better than
    nothing, but is still better than nothing. WPA is better. But your cards
    have to support whatever you choose.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Dec 3, 2005