NEMO: dvd sales record. shortages?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Evil, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Evil

    Evil Guest

    Evil, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Evil

    mzmeryze Guest

    mzmeryze, Nov 7, 2003

  3. On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:54:48 GMT, mzmeryze <>
    wrote:

    >On 7 Nov 2003 08:03:29 -0800, (Evil) wrote:
    >
    >>http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/05/technology/nemo_sales.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes
    >>
    >>$156M in ONE day? So, the theatrical release becoming more like a
    >>glorified advert for the dvd release? :)
    >>
    >>Damn, i wonder what would happen to Di$ney if Pixar left...

    >Pixar *is* leaving. "The Incredibles" is the last Disney/Pixar movie
    >pairing.

    Perhaps, Pixar hasn't signed with anyone else yet. I'm sure even
    Disney an see the value of keeping Pixar happy.

    GK
    The Mad Doctor, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Evil

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <1g426mr.ufp47916svhfmN%>,
    (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > Has Disney had any animated hits since The Lion King (1994) that were
    > not Pixar films? For that matter, excluding the Pixars and Pirates of
    > the Caribbean, has Disney had ~any~ hits since 1994?

    Hmmm... The Santa Clause?
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Nov 7, 2003

    Neill Massello, Nov 7, 2003
  6. Evil

    Invid Fan Guest

    Massello <> wrote:

    > Evil <> wrote:
    >
    > > http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/05/technology/nemo_sales.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes
    > >
    > > $156M in ONE day? So, the theatrical release becoming more like a
    > > glorified advert for the dvd release? :)
    > >
    > > Damn, i wonder what would happen to Di$ney if Pixar left...

    > Has Disney had any animated hits since The Lion King (1994) that were
    > not Pixar films? For that matter, excluding the Pixars and Pirates of
    > the Caribbean, has Disney had ~any~ hits since 1994?

    Tarzan and Lilo and Stitch come to mind. Did they bring in $300+
    million? No, but they were popular and made money. They were also good,
    but that's often secondary to the first two facts.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Nov 7, 2003
  7. Evil

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:09:50 GMT, (Neill
    Massello) wrote:

    >Evil <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/05/technology/nemo_sales.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes
    >>
    >> $156M in ONE day? So, the theatrical release becoming more like a
    >> glorified advert for the dvd release? :)
    >>
    >> Damn, i wonder what would happen to Di$ney if Pixar left...

    >Has Disney had any animated hits since The Lion King (1994) that were
    >not Pixar films? For that matter, excluding the Pixars and Pirates of
    >the Caribbean, has Disney had ~any~ hits since 1994?

    "Dinosaur" - 137 million. - 2000
    "Lilo & Stitch" - 145 million - 2002

    Non-animated Disney hits:

    "The Santa Clause 1 & 2" - 300 million combined.
    "Freaky Friday" - 107 million
    "101 & 102 Dalmatians" - 200 million combined. (live action)
    mzmeryze, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Evil

    Kaydigi Guest

    "mzmeryze" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:09:50 GMT, (Neill
    > Massello) wrote:
    >
    > >Evil <> wrote:

    http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/05/technology/nemo_sales.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

    > >> $156M in ONE day? So, the theatrical release becoming more like a
    > >> glorified advert for the dvd release? :)
    > >>
    > >> Damn, i wonder what would happen to Di$ney if Pixar left...

    > >Has Disney had any animated hits since The Lion King (1994) that were
    > >not Pixar films? For that matter, excluding the Pixars and Pirates of
    > >the Caribbean, has Disney had ~any~ hits since 1994?

    > "Dinosaur" - 137 million. - 2000
    > "Lilo & Stitch" - 145 million - 2002

    Didn't Dinosaur cost almost $100 to make? (I may be wrong)
    Kaydigi, Nov 8, 2003
  9. Evil

    Mark Spatny Guest

    mzmeryze, says...
    > Pixar *is* leaving. "The Incredibles" is the last Disney/Pixar movie
    > pairing.

    That's the end of the original contract. They are still negotiating
    another.
    Mark Spatny, Nov 8, 2003
  10. Evil

    Jay G Guest

    "mzmeryze" <> wrote...
    > On 7 Nov 2003 08:03:29 -0800, (Evil) wrote:
    > >
    > >Damn, i wonder what would happen to Di$ney if Pixar left...

    > Pixar *is* leaving. "The Incredibles" is the last Disney/Pixar movie
    > pairing.

    Actually, "Cars" is the last Disney/Pixar film under the current
    contract. Pixar has started production on their next feature
    independent of any studio, but it's still possible that Disney may
    distribute it.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Nov 8, 2003
  11. Evil

    Jay G Guest

    "Kaydigi" <> wrote
    > > "Dinosaur" - 137 million. - 2000
    > > "Lilo & Stitch" - 145 million - 2002
    > >

    > Didn't Dinosaur cost almost $100 to make? (I may be wrong)

    Boxofficemojo lists Dinosaur's production budget as $127 million.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dinosaur.htm

    -Jay
    Jay G, Nov 8, 2003
  12. Evil

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:32:43 -0500, "Kaydigi"
    <> wrote:

    >"mzmeryze" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:09:50 GMT, (Neill
    >> Massello) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Evil <> wrote:
    >> >

    >http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/05/technology/nemo_sales.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

    >> >Has Disney had any animated hits since The Lion King (1994) that were
    >> >not Pixar films? For that matter, excluding the Pixars and Pirates of
    >> >the Caribbean, has Disney had ~any~ hits since 1994?

    >> "Dinosaur" - 137 million. - 2000
    >> "Lilo & Stitch" - 145 million - 2002
    >>

    >Didn't Dinosaur cost almost $100 to make? (I may be wrong)

    It still made some money. : )
    mzmeryze, Nov 8, 2003
  13. Evil

    Jay G Guest

    "mzmeryze" <> wrote ...
    > On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:32:43 -0500, "Kaydigi"
    > <> wrote:
    > >> "Dinosaur" - 137 million. - 2000

    > >Didn't Dinosaur cost almost $100 to make? (I may be wrong)
    > >

    > It still made some money. : )

    Well, considering that studios on average net about 50% of the
    box office receipts, no it didn't. At least, not solely through
    domestic ticket sales.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Nov 8, 2003
  14. Evil

    Evil Guest

    "Jay G" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Kaydigi" <> wrote
    > > > "Dinosaur" - 137 million. - 2000
    > > > "Lilo & Stitch" - 145 million - 2002
    > > >

    > > Didn't Dinosaur cost almost $100 to make? (I may be wrong)

    > Boxofficemojo lists Dinosaur's production budget as $127 million.
    > http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dinosaur.htm
    >
    > -Jay

    The number that was widely propagating was $200M, but that included
    the building of an entire new animation facility, whose cost will of
    course be amortized over its lifetime and included in every animation
    project that occurs there.
    Evil, Nov 8, 2003
  15. Evil

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Jay G <>
    wrote:

    > "mzmeryze" <> wrote...
    > > On 7 Nov 2003 08:03:29 -0800, (Evil) wrote:
    > > >
    > > >Damn, i wonder what would happen to Di$ney if Pixar left...

    > > Pixar *is* leaving. "The Incredibles" is the last Disney/Pixar movie
    > > pairing.

    > Actually, "Cars" is the last Disney/Pixar film under the current
    > contract. Pixar has started production on their next feature
    > independent of any studio, but it's still possible that Disney may
    > distribute it.

    The carrot Disney is using to keep them is the Miyazaki films. Lasseter
    and Miyazaki are friends/fans of eachother, so as long as Disney has
    the rights to anime that Lasseter wants to see released the "right"
    way, the mouse has an edge in negociations.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Nov 8, 2003
  16. Evil

    Jay G Guest

    "Evil" <> wrote...
    > "Jay G" <> wrote
    > >
    > > Boxofficemojo lists Dinosaur's production budget as $127 million.
    > > http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dinosaur.htm

    > The number that was widely propagating was $200M, but that included
    > the building of an entire new animation facility, whose cost will of
    > course be amortized over its lifetime and included in every animation
    > project that occurs there.

    The new animation division was dismantled after Dinosaur was released
    though, much in the same way Square Pictures went under after the failure
    of Final Fantasy, only staying on long enough to finish their Animatrix
    short.

    http://www.digitalmediafx.com/News2001/October/102501.html

    Here's info on what was to be The Secret Lab's follow-up to Dinosaur:
    http://www.magicalears.com/films/animation/Deleted/WildLife.php

    -Jay
    Jay G, Nov 8, 2003
  17. Evil

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Jay G" <> wrote in message

    > The new animation division was dismantled after Dinosaur was released
    > though, much in the same way Square Pictures went under after the failure
    > of Final Fantasy, only staying on long enough to finish their Animatrix
    > short.

    Yeah, Disney hasn't had a hit cartoon since Lion King. They got a bunch of
    turkys though, Dinosaur, Lost in Atlantis and now Brother Bear.
    Goldfinger, Nov 10, 2003
  18. >> > >Damn, i wonder what would happen to Di$ney if Pixar left...

    >> > Pixar *is* leaving. "The Incredibles" is the last Disney/Pixar movie
    >> > pairing.

    >> Actually, "Cars" is the last Disney/Pixar film under the current
    >> contract. Pixar has started production on their next feature
    >> independent of any studio, but it's still possible that Disney may
    >> distribute it.
    >>

    >The carrot Disney is using to keep them is the Miyazaki films. Lasseter
    >and Miyazaki are friends/fans of eachother, so as long as Disney has
    >the rights to anime that Lasseter wants to see released the "right"
    >way, the mouse has an edge in negociations.

    Plus, the Pixar films have been the main animated money makers for Disney, so
    I'm sure they will come up with a contract that will give Pixar some
    advantages. They did create the year's top-grossing film and record-breaking
    DVD.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
    revolving door.
    - Willy Walker
    Sydney Assbasket, Nov 11, 2003
  19. Evil

    Evil Guest

    "Jay G" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Evil" <> wrote...
    > > "Jay G" <> wrote
    > > >
    > > > Boxofficemojo lists Dinosaur's production budget as $127 million.
    > > > http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dinosaur.htm

    > > The number that was widely propagating was $200M, but that included
    > > the building of an entire new animation facility, whose cost will of
    > > course be amortized over its lifetime and included in every animation
    > > project that occurs there.

    > The new animation division was dismantled after Dinosaur was released
    > though, much in the same way Square Pictures went under after the failure
    > of Final Fantasy, only staying on long enough to finish their Animatrix
    > short.
    >
    > http://www.digitalmediafx.com/News2001/October/102501.html
    >
    > Here's info on what was to be The Secret Lab's follow-up to Dinosaur:
    > http://www.magicalears.com/films/animation/Deleted/WildLife.php
    >
    > -Jay

    So, now that Disney is abandoning traditional hand-drawn animation in
    favor of CG animation, where will their animation facility be? Will
    they just retrofit their existing animation facility?

    Just wondering.
    Evil, Nov 12, 2003
  20. Evil

    Evil Guest

    "Jay G" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Evil" <> wrote...
    > > "Jay G" <> wrote
    > > >
    > > > Boxofficemojo lists Dinosaur's production budget as $127 million.
    > > > http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dinosaur.htm

    > > The number that was widely propagating was $200M, but that included
    > > the building of an entire new animation facility, whose cost will of
    > > course be amortized over its lifetime and included in every animation
    > > project that occurs there.

    > The new animation division was dismantled after Dinosaur was released
    > though, much in the same way Square Pictures went under after the failure
    > of Final Fantasy, only staying on long enough to finish their Animatrix
    > short.
    >
    > http://www.digitalmediafx.com/News2001/October/102501.html
    >
    > Here's info on what was to be The Secret Lab's follow-up to Dinosaur:
    > http://www.magicalears.com/films/animation/Deleted/WildLife.php

    Thank Dog that WILD LIFE has been shut down. That sounded absolutely
    horrible. If it actually ever made it to the screens, it would have
    been another one of those GIGLI-type films where everyone is just
    saying, "How could they have not known it sucked?"
    Evil, Nov 12, 2003