    internet and each other computers using radio...(Maybe Wi-Fi)

    What sort of equipment do you need and how far can you go?

    Cheers Peter....

    Peter, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Peter

    thing Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > I've heard of people living reasonably close to each other sharing the
    > internet and each other computers using radio...(Maybe Wi-Fi)
    >

    > What sort of equipment do you need and how far can you go?
    >

    > Cheers Peter....

    Define living near by. Unless you can direct the wi-fi signal at someone
    I have found a typical wi-fi connection struggling beyond 30 metres. A
    Cat5e will do 100m+. If you live in a flat piece of open country and you
    can see your neighbours a mile away....

    regards

    thing

    thing, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    > Define living near by. Unless you can direct the wi-fi signal at someone

    Up to a Kilometer.. I know Wi-Fi wount do that ..is there some other
    technoloy that will...Something that a hobbiest can afford

    Peter, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Peter

    EMB Guest

    Peter wrote:
    >>Define living near by. Unless you can direct the wi-fi signal at someone

    > Up to a Kilometer.. I know Wi-Fi wount do that ..is there some other
    > technoloy that will...Something that a hobbiest can afford

    Wifi with a decent directional antenna will be fine.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Apr 15, 2005
  5. Peter wrote:
    > I've heard of people living reasonably close to each other sharing the
    > internet and each other computers using radio...(Maybe Wi-Fi)

    > What sort of equipment do you need and how far can you go?

    A connection to the net, an Access point to distribute, and something at
    each place to receive the signal.

    Range is limited by budget.
    ~$200 AP will give you 4 houses max assuming line of site to the Access
    point

    ~$200 AP and a bigger antenna will give more range.

    potentially roof mounted will give a lot more range.

    potentially pole mounted on roof will give more range again.

    My suggestion would be to learn how to share it around your house, then
    attempt a bit further.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 15, 2005
  6. thing wrote:
    >> What sort of equipment do you need and how far can you go?

    > Define living near by. Unless you can direct the wi-fi signal at someone
    > I have found a typical wi-fi connection struggling beyond 30 metres. A
    > Cat5e will do 100m+.

    but not usually a good idea to cable two buildings together without
    knowing how to do it properly.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 15, 2005
  7. Peter wrote:
    >>Define living near by. Unless you can direct the wi-fi signal at someone

    > Up to a Kilometer.. I know Wi-Fi wount do that ..is there some other
    > technoloy that will...Something that a hobbiest can afford

    it will, and is "affordable"
    you just have to buy the gear... in saying that it is a bit fidly over
    distance.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 15, 2005
  8. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    > > I've heard of people living reasonably close to each other sharing the
    > > internet and each other computers using radio...(Maybe Wi-Fi)

    > > What sort of equipment do you need and how far can you go?

    > A connection to the net, an Access point to distribute, and something at
    > each place to receive the signal.
    >
    > Range is limited by budget.
    > ~$200 AP will give you 4 houses max assuming line of site to the Access
    > point
    >
    > ~$200 AP and a bigger antenna will give more range.
    >
    > potentially roof mounted will give a lot more range.
    >
    > potentially pole mounted on roof will give more range again.
    >

    > My suggestion would be to learn how to share it around your house, then
    > attempt a bit further.

    By which time MIMO may well provide a solution.....

    ShuckItAnShee, Apr 15, 2005
  9. ShuckItAnShee wrote:
    >>>What sort of equipment do you need and how far can you go?

    >>A connection to the net, an Access point to distribute, and something at
    >>each place to receive the signal.

    >>Range is limited by budget.
    >>~$200 AP will give you 4 houses max assuming line of site to the Access
    >>point

    >>My suggestion would be to learn how to share it around your house, then
    >>attempt a bit further.

    > By which time MIMO may well provide a solution.....

    yeah, havent had time to play with one of them yet, Im a bit slack these
    days.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 15, 2005
  10. Peter

    Peter Guest

    What is MIOM?

    Peter, Apr 15, 2005
  11. ShuckItAnShee, Apr 15, 2005
  12. In article <>, thing <> wrote:
    >Peter wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >I have found a typical wi-fi connection struggling beyond 30 metres. A
    >Cat5e will do 100m+

    *SNIP*

    A warning: running cable between buildings is quite risky, unless you
    trench it properly, preferably within a metal conduit. Just stringing
    cable on poles is a quick way to blow out your home electrical system
    the next time there's a lightning storm.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Apr 15, 2005
  13. Peter wrote:
    > What is MIOM?
    >

    >>By which time MIMO may well provide a solution.....

    multiple in multiple out
    basically so that wifi APs can give better throughput by having more
    antennas/multiple systems inside the AP.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 15, 2005
  14. Peter

    Peter Guest

    If for example 100 people had MIMO and were in the radius of 1k they could
    effectively share each others resources? Included really great VoIP?

    Peter, Apr 15, 2005
  15. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:23:34 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > What sort of equipment do you need and how far can you go?

    50km seems to be the outer limits as of now. Given the right equipment and
    conditions.

    Good on you for thinking of ways to mini/micro network.

    Gordon, Apr 15, 2005
  16. Peter

    Jedmeister Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, thing
    > <> wrote:
    >>Peter wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >>I have found a typical wi-fi connection struggling beyond 30 metres. A
    >>Cat5e will do 100m+

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > A warning: running cable between buildings is quite risky, unless you
    > trench it properly, preferably within a metal conduit. Just stringing
    > cable on poles is a quick way to blow out your home electrical system
    > the next time there's a lightning storm.
    >
    > --

    And a good way to decaptitate the neighbour shooting off to work on their
    motorbike.

    Jedmeister, Apr 15, 2005
  17. Peter

    Shane Guest

    > And a good way to decaptitate the neighbour shooting off to work on their
    > motorbike.

    movie named 'stone'
    1970's/80's australian movie about a group of 'bikies' that witness a
    political murder and are then themselves being murdered off
    and a cop goes undercover and 'lives with them'
    releveance:
    opening scenes(ish) someone tightens a piano wire across a road that one
    of the bikies uses regularly, followed by said biker hurtling down said
    road, followed by bike going one way, and a helmet with a head in it going
    another
    (first saw the movie aged 13 _never_ forgotten that scene)

    Shane, Apr 15, 2005
  18. On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:23:34 UTC, "Peter" <> wrote:

    > I've heard of people living reasonably close to each other sharing the
    > internet and each other computers using radio...(Maybe Wi-Fi)
    >

    > What sort of equipment do you need and how far can you go?
    >

    > Cheers Peter....

    Better read your ISP's terms and conditions before you go too far with
    this idea. Most preclude sharing your connection with anyone else.

    In terms of how far can you make WiFi work, my ISP connection
    (nzwireless) is by long-range WiFi with a small semi-parabolic antenna
    on a pole on the roof. It connects via an access point in Fairfield,
    Lower Hutt. I am in Waiwhetu, so that is several kilometers at least.
    And my ISP has an AP on Somes Island (sp?) in the middle of
    Wellington harbour, which is used by many sites in Eastbourne and
    Petone, and also from central Wellington I believe. I was initially
    connected to Somes Island, until the Fairfield site was installed, and
    I did get a connection, but it was not properly reliable.

    Stephen Worthington, Apr 16, 2005
  19. Peter wrote:

    >>multiple in multiple out
    >>basically so that wifi APs can give better throughput by having more
    >>antennas/multiple systems inside the AP.

    > If for example 100 people had MIMO and were in the radius of 1k they

    could
    > effectively share each others resources? Included really great VoIP?

    yeah, I guess. although they'd all have to be "peering" with each others
    APs.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 17, 2005