    related to the file. I also attempted the transfer using Mac OS9 with
    the same problems. I have no problems viewing NEF files downloaded
    straight from my camera (Nikon D100) to my PC. Thanks.

    Kit Bonin, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Kit Bonin

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:37:26 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Kit Bonin
    <> wrote:

    >Hi and thanks in advance,
    >
    >I have a problem viewing NEF files on my PC (running Windows XP) after
    >transferring them from my Mac (OSX,10.3). I transfer them by either CD
    >or compact flash card. When I attempt to view them with Nikon Browser by
    >clicking the folder that they are in, the program crashes. If I attempt
    >to open them with Adobe Photoshop 6.0 or 7.0 the program does not crash,
    >but it is unable to read the files. If I convert them to either jpg or
    >tif files prior to transferring them, I have no problem. It seems to be
    >related to the file. I also attempted the transfer using Mac OS9 with
    >the same problems. I have no problems viewing NEF files downloaded
    >straight from my camera (Nikon D100) to my PC. Thanks.

    NEFs are just specialized TIF files and IIRC at least way back when
    there was an issue between Macs and PC of big vs little endian, ie
    whether of not the two 8 bytes pieces were written high or low byte
    first. Back in those days I used Graphic Converter as it had an option
    to write either format. Don't know if that would work here. Can you
    ftp files between machines?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Jan 5, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    Ed Ruf <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:37:26 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Kit Bonin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi and thanks in advance,
    > >
    > >I have a problem viewing NEF files on my PC (running Windows XP) after
    > >transferring them from my Mac (OSX,10.3). I transfer them by either CD
    > >or compact flash card. When I attempt to view them with Nikon Browser by
    > >clicking the folder that they are in, the program crashes. If I attempt
    > >to open them with Adobe Photoshop 6.0 or 7.0 the program does not crash,
    > >but it is unable to read the files. If I convert them to either jpg or
    > >tif files prior to transferring them, I have no problem. It seems to be
    > >related to the file. I also attempted the transfer using Mac OS9 with
    > >the same problems. I have no problems viewing NEF files downloaded
    > >straight from my camera (Nikon D100) to my PC. Thanks.

    > NEFs are just specialized TIF files and IIRC at least way back when
    > there was an issue between Macs and PC of big vs little endian, ie
    > whether of not the two 8 bytes pieces were written high or low byte
    > first. Back in those days I used Graphic Converter as it had an option
    > to write either format. Don't know if that would work here. Can you
    > ftp files between machines?
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Try using the xxd command in terminal.

    % xxd -l 4 somefile

    0000000: 4d4d 002a MM.*

    Big-endian TIFF is 4d4d002a while little-endian TIFF is 49492a00. It's
    actually mean to be visually recognizable in a hex dump. "MM.*" for
    Motorola big-end and "II*." for Intel little-end.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Kit Bonin

    Kit Bonin Guest

    Thanks for the response. Believe it or not, I am still on dial-up at
    home, which makes it difficult FTP between machines since I don't have a
    network set up where they can both communicate. It would also take
    forever to send 1 uncompressed NEF over a dial-up connection. I do have
    space on my work and website servers. I'll try a few files and see if it
    works. Thanks.

    Kit Bonin, Jan 6, 2005