    internet and the computer is still slow, accessing different progranms
    is a slow task. I've done disk de-frag but don't know what else to try.
    Can I get some help please? Thanks.
    Hurricane1000, Jul 16, 2006

  2. I have had the same problem. Never with my 486 but on all the newer
    systems. The only think I can think of is to ether build a new system
    (which I am doing) or use an old system with Windows 3.1 (the best OS
    ever... period). Otherwise you can always try reformatting your hard disk
    and starting over, reinstalling the OS. This I hear works because as you
    use Windows, it fills us the disk with unmovable files (the green ones in
    Defrag) which eventually cause system slowdowns because they get in the way
    of hard disk access. It is my understanding that newer drives cannot be
    low-level formatted but I hear that reformatting the regular way and
    reinstalling the OS clears these files out.

    GeorgeDubyaRulez!, Jul 16, 2006

  3. Hurricane1000

    Bob Guest

    Hurricane1000 wrote:
    > My computer is getting slower by the day. I just went from DSL to Cable
    > internet and the computer is still slow, accessing different progranms
    > is a slow task. I've done disk de-frag but don't know what else to try.
    > Can I get some help please? Thanks.

    Need more RAM?
    Too many programs running in the background?
    Too many programs running at startup?
    Bob, Jul 16, 2006
  4. Hurricane1000

    Kramer Guest

    > Windows 3.1 (the best OS
    > ever... period).

    You don't like FreeBSD or Linux?

    You can build a minimal system under either of those two that will be
    faster and use less memory than Win 3.1.

    >Otherwise you can always try reformatting your hard disk
    > and starting over, reinstalling the OS. This I hear works because as you
    > use Windows, it fills us the disk with unmovable files (the green ones in
    > Defrag) which eventually cause system slowdowns because they get in the way
    > of hard disk access.

    There are other reasons that reinstalling Windows will help. It will
    clear out processes that start on startup.
    Kramer, Jul 16, 2006
  5. Hurricane1000

    rich Guest

    In XP try
    Start; Control panel; Internet Options; Temp Internet files; Delete
    Files..check box that says "Delete all offline " - ? - Hit enter and count
    the seconds. When my machine is running "clean" I eliminate all of those
    excess files in five or ten seconds...

    That gets rid of tons of crap and usually speeds thing up. I do NOT delete
    cookies, normally. RG

    rich, Jul 16, 2006
  6. Doesn't that only speed up IE? On the case of my system the rest of it
    still runs slower.

    ¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Hurricane1000

    Guest

    Hurricane1000 wrote:
    > My computer is getting slower by the day. I just went from DSL to Cable
    > internet and the computer is still slow, accessing different progranms
    > is a slow task. I've done disk de-frag but don't know what else to try.
    > Can I get some help please? Thanks.

    typically people have all sorts of garbage processes running, plus have
    installed badly written software that uses a ton of ram & cpu instead
    of more efficient apps. Start afresh, use 'total uninstall' and learn
    about choosing efficient software.

    You didnt tell us your pc specs, which might change things.

    NT
    , Jul 17, 2006
  8. Hurricane1000

    sandy58 Guest

    wrote:
    > Hurricane1000 wrote:
    > > My computer is getting slower by the day. I just went from DSL to Cable
    > > internet and the computer is still slow, accessing different progranms
    > > is a slow task. I've done disk de-frag but don't know what else to try.
    > > Can I get some help please? Thanks.

    > typically people have all sorts of garbage processes running, plus have
    > installed badly written software that uses a ton of ram & cpu instead
    > of more efficient apps. Start afresh, use 'total uninstall' and learn
    > about choosing efficient software.
    >
    > You didnt tell us your pc specs, which might change things.
    >

    > NT

    As meow2 says and also get rid of software which you seldom/never use.
    I tend to be a squirrel with loads of unused stuff choking up. Check
    your "startup" list and cut that right back to bare minimum. Registry
    Mechanic helps a bit too. Upgrade drivers and if possible your BIOS.
    sandy58, Jul 18, 2006