    available.

    Any idea ??
    Thanks

    Richard, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Richard

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    Richard <> wrote in message
    news:JGxtb.49679$...
    > I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
    >
    > My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost all
    > the program clean dfrag etc etc.

    You have mucho bugs. You cannot get rid of all of them with your tactics.
    You must wipe (format) your drive and re-install the OS and start again.
    This time using AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, (all free), and STILL you have to
    do this every 2 years....

    Sorry, but it's the way of the computer.

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Richard

    Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:46:21 GMT, "Mr. Majestik" <>
    wrote:

    >Richard <> wrote in message
    >> I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
    >>
    >> My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost all
    >> the program clean dfrag etc etc.
    >>

    >You have mucho bugs. You cannot get rid of all of them with your tactics.
    >You must wipe (format) your drive and re-install the OS and start again.
    >This time using AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, (all free), and STILL you have to
    >do this every 2 years....
    >
    >Sorry, but it's the way of the computer.

    This is a premature conclusion. Start with norton - the subscribed
    uptodate version. Then go carefully through the list - spybot, etc.
    The techies here can give you a better list.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Nov 17, 2003
  4. Richard

    Tony Guest

    "Richard" wrote:
    > Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
    > little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of RAM
    > available.

    RAM XP Pro? Are you trying to run winXP with 50 megs of RAM? That
    would definitly explain hte slow speed?

    »TOny

    Tony, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Richard

    Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:21:02 -0500, "Richard" <>
    wrote:

    >I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
    >
    >My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost all
    >the program clean dfrag etc etc.
    >
    >I'm not running a lots of program at startup.
    >
    >Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
    >little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of RAM
    >available.
    >
    >Any idea ??
    >Thanks

    I'm not familiar with the Aptiva, but ...

    160 mb of ram seems like an odd number (or even possible?). Do you
    mean 256?

    If you really mean 160, then it seems reasonable that most of it is
    used up trying to run the OS.

    If you installed FreeRam XP, does this mean you use XP for your OS? If
    so, you should probably have at least 256 mb to support it.

    By 333, do you mean it runs at 333mhz? If so, I think you have to
    accept that a five year old machine is slow. And maybe not up to
    running XP.

    Do you have an up-to-date virus checker? Have you done a full scan?

    You say you did "clean dfrag etc etc". Please describe "etc etc".

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Nov 17, 2003
  6. Richard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    wrote in news::

    > 160 mb of ram seems like an odd number (or even possible?). Do you
    > mean 256?

    128 + 32
    64 + 64 + 32

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:21:02 -0500, "Richard" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
    > >
    > >My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost

    all
    > >the program clean dfrag etc etc.
    > >
    > >I'm not running a lots of program at startup.
    > >
    > >Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
    > >little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of

    RAM
    > >available.
    > >
    > >Any idea ??
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > I'm not familiar with the Aptiva, but ...
    >
    > 160 mb of ram seems like an odd number (or even possible?). Do you
    > mean 256?
    >
    > If you really mean 160, then it seems reasonable that most of it is
    > used up trying to run the OS.
    >
    > If you installed FreeRam XP, does this mean you use XP for your OS? If
    > so, you should probably have at least 256 mb to support it.
    >
    > By 333, do you mean it runs at 333mhz? If so, I think you have to
    > accept that a five year old machine is slow. And maybe not up to
    > running XP.
    >
    > Do you have an up-to-date virus checker? Have you done a full scan?
    >
    > You say you did "clean dfrag etc etc". Please describe "etc etc".
    >
    > Roy - Carpe Noctem

    Roy,

    The CPU is an AMD 333mhz.
    160mb of RAM 1x 128, 1x 32, computer came with 1x 32 and 1x 16, only two
    slots,so the 16 diseapear.
    Running on Win 98
    Antivirus up to date and know to use very little ressources (EZ Antivirus)
    from CA.
    WD hard drive 60gig
    ati rage pro turbo 2 (onboard) 4 meg

    To improve the response while playing game what should I do,
    Changing the video card ?
    Adding more RAM ?

    I'm not talking about new and hungry games, just old one that are supposed
    to run fine on my Puter

    Thanks for your input
    Richard

    Richard, Nov 17, 2003
  8. Richard

    Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:14:10 -0500, "Richard" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:21:02 -0500, "Richard" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have an IBM aptiva AMD 333 k 6-2 with 160 MB of ram.
    >> >
    >> >My computer is getting slower and slower, despite that I remove almost

    >all
    >> >the program clean dfrag etc etc.
    >> >
    >> >I'm not running a lots of program at startup.
    >> >
    >> >Yesterday I've downloaded free ram xp pro to see if that would help a
    >> >little, no help , my computer is running most of the time below 50meg of

    >RAM
    >> >available.

    >The CPU is an AMD 333mhz.
    >160mb of RAM 1x 128, 1x 32, computer came with 1x 32 and 1x 16, only two
    >slots,so the 16 diseapear.
    >Running on Win 98
    >Antivirus up to date and know to use very little ressources (EZ Antivirus)
    >from CA.
    >WD hard drive 60gig
    >ati rage pro turbo 2 (onboard) 4 meg
    >
    >To improve the response while playing game what should I do,
    >Changing the video card ?
    >Adding more RAM ?
    >
    >I'm not talking about new and hungry games, just old one that are supposed
    >to run fine on my Puter
    >
    >Thanks for your input
    >Richard

    Richard. I am not qualified to help you. Seems I've forgotten all the
    attributes of my last computer. The specs sound familiar.

    Is the video ram maxxed out?

    I would think you could switch your 32mb for another 128mb pretty
    cheaply. The real question is whether adding $ to the old machine is a
    good investment.

    The 3rd issue has to do with what's running, and configuration, and
    that's where my knowledge is weak.

    I think the big question is whether your computer is simply slow or
    whether it is, in your words "slower and slower".

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Nov 17, 2003