Need winipcfg command for XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by KungFusion, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. KungFusion

    KungFusion Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
    > "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all",

    I don't know why they didn't put the GUI ip config in XP.
    Anyway, open a command window and enter
    ipconfig /renew

    It should show the gateway address and some other info about
    your connections, or an error.

    Try this first though. Power off the router. Make
    sure all your cables are plugged in correctly. Now,
    power down the modem. Wait a few seconds. Power
    the modem back up and wait for the lights to show
    the modem is "synced". After it shows you're connected,
    now power up the router. Let the router get its IP from
    the modem. Now you can go in and configure the router
    if needed. I just went through adding a router box
    and I can tell you it will *never* work unless you
    resync the cable modem before powering it up!

    Have fun. :)

    KungFusion, Jun 13, 2004

  2. KungFusion

    Julie P. Guest

    I am having trouble connecting to the Internet with my Windows XP computer
    through my router after I reinstalled XP Home due to Outlook Express 6
    problems. I am able to connect directly to the Internet, without a router.
    And My Windows 98SE computer has no trouble connecting through the router.
    The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
    "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at least
    this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have any idea what
    the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also why I cannot connect
    through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 13, 2004

  3. KungFusion

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in

    > "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at
    > least this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have
    > any idea what the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also
    > why I cannot connect through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!

    Start, Run, cmd <enter>
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

    Try pinging the router, and then your ISP's gateway and see what happens.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 13, 2004
  4. KungFusion

    Dominic Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > I am having trouble connecting to the Internet with my Windows XP
    > computer through my router after I reinstalled XP Home due to Outlook
    > Express 6 problems. I am able to connect directly to the Internet,
    > without a router. And My Windows 98SE computer has no trouble
    > connecting through the router. The normal solution I would use would
    > be to use "start" > "run" > "winipcfg", then "release all", then
    > "renew all", then clear cache. at least this has always worked with
    > my 98SE computer. does anyone have any idea what the equivalent
    > command to winipcfg is with XP, and also why I cannot connect through
    > a router with my XP computer? Thanks!

    ipconfig from the command line. Start | Run | cmd to get to the command
    prompt, then ipconfig /release to release all and ipconfig /renew to renew
    all (ipconfig /? shows you other options such as flushdns).

    Dominic

    --
    ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
    24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

    Dominic, Jun 13, 2004
  5. KungFusion

    Dominic Guest

    KungFusion wrote:
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >
    >> The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
    >> "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all",

    > I don't know why they didn't put the GUI ip config in XP.
    > Anyway, open a command window and enter
    > ipconfig /renew
    >
    > It should show the gateway address and some other info about
    > your connections, or an error.

    <snip>

    Please fix your clock.

    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 13, 2004
  6. KungFusion

    Julie P. Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote in
    >
    > > "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at
    > > least this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have
    > > any idea what the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also
    > > why I cannot connect through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!

    > Start, Run, cmd <enter>
    > ipconfig /release
    > ipconfig /renew

    Beautiful! It worked. You guys Jim, Kung, and Dominic are geniuses!

    > Try pinging the router, and then your ISP's gateway and see what happens.

    I don't actually know how to do this. But at least I am back online. :)

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 13, 2004
  7. KungFusion

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:58:26 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    wrote:

    >I am having trouble connecting to the Internet with my Windows XP computer
    >through my router after I reinstalled XP Home due to Outlook Express 6
    >problems. I am able to connect directly to the Internet, without a router.
    >And My Windows 98SE computer has no trouble connecting through the router.
    >The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
    >"winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at least
    >this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have any idea what
    >the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also why I cannot connect
    >through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!
    >
    >J.

    Microsoft's IPConfig Utility for Windows 2k, NT, XP "Wntipcfg.exe"
    It's just like the "Winipcfg.exe" in Windows98
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

    Unk, Jun 13, 2004
  8. KungFusion

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote:

    >I am having trouble connecting to the Internet with my Windows XP computer
    >through my router after I reinstalled XP Home due to Outlook Express 6
    >problems. I am able to connect directly to the Internet, without a router.
    >And My Windows 98SE computer has no trouble connecting through the router.
    >The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
    >"winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at least
    >this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have any idea what
    >the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also why I cannot connect
    >through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!
    >
    >J.

    For future reference.

    Open Control Panel - Network Connections.

    Right-click on the icon for your Internet connection and select
    Status. That has information in a GUI format and the Repair button
    does a release and renew of the i.p. address.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jun 13, 2004
  9. KungFusion

    Julie P. Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message

    > For future reference.
    >
    > Open Control Panel - Network Connections.
    >
    > Right-click on the icon for your Internet connection and select
    > Status. That has information in a GUI format and the Repair button
    > does a release and renew of the i.p. address.
    >
    > Good luck

    Thanks Ron. Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. You're right. I just
    checked, and it was there. The repair button is definitely a lot easier than
    doing a command line, and then ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

    Julie P., Jun 15, 2004