    Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Arawak

    Arawak, Sep 17, 2006

  2. Arawak enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > I have a failed 2.5" drive which I installed in a USB housing and
    > attached to my Desktop in order to run diagnostics, repair or rescue
    > files. So far none of the utilities I have tried can see the drive
    > whether it is the one with the problem or a good drive. None of them
    > seem to see USB drives.

    If it is a ide 2.5" drive, there are adapters to 3.5" ide cable and a
    power socket, you'd rather use that.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Arawak

    PeeCee Guest

    "Arawak" <> wrote in message
    >I have a failed 2.5" drive which I installed in a USB housing and
    > attached to my Desktop in order to run diagnostics, repair or rescue
    > files. So far none of the utilities I have tried can see the drive
    > whether it is the one with the problem or a good drive. None of them
    > seem to see USB drives.
    > Tried Partition Magic, various Acronis programs among other.
    > Any leads to programs/utilities that access external devices?
    > The drive is detectable by XP Pro and shows up in file manager with
    > the good drive but indicates present but with problems with the bad
    > drive.
    > Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Arawak

    Arawak

    There are two possible causes of your problems.
    1 the drive itself.
    2 the USB interface.

    Classic diagnostic technique's require the problem to be divided in half to
    localise the problem area.
    In this case remove the HD from the case and connect it to another PC /
    Laptop using an adapter if necessary.

    If the drive is fine you have a USB problem, if not you now have the drive
    mounted where the utility and test software can work.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Sep 17, 2006