    find but i still see traffic here and there.   Is there a free
    traffic moniter, tool or whatever that will tell me what is going in and
    out of my computer ??. Thanks.
    Earl, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Earl

    nemo_outis Guest

    (Earl) wrote in news:12446-43105D09-471@storefull-
    3272.bay.webtv.net:

    > New using a pc so hope i state this right.     Some times when i am
    > online i see the zone alarm in system tray change to a box with moveing
    > lines, red and green think and i put pointer on it and says "traffic".
    >     Windows 98se with Ad-Aware, Spyware Sweeper,Counterspy,
    > SpywareGuard, Spywareblaster. Scaned with all and only Counterspy found
    > something that i deleted. Then i shut down all running programsi could
    > find but i still see traffic here and there.   Is there a free
    > traffic moniter, tool or whatever that will tell me what is going in and
    > out of my computer ??. Thanks.

    Tcpview (and the related Tdimon) from www.sysinternals.com are excellent
    free tools. They have a large number of other valuable free utilities as
    well. Filemon and regmon are stellar examples but they're all pretty good.

    They also distribute a Pro version of Tcpview as part of their sister
    commercial "winternal" company (all bundled into Winternals Administrator
    Pack these days).

    Regards,

    PS I use the Winternals Admin Pack.
    nemo_outis, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Earl

    Earl Guest

    Re: Tdimon ?? help

    Thanks for the help. Looked at site and think it said Tcpview was for
    win nt and 2000 and i have win98 se. As for Tdimon looked up what TCP
    and UDP means but new at this and not sure what this program will do.
    Will it show me what info is going out & in of my computer and who or
    whats doing it ?. Thanks.
    Earl, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Earl

    nemo_outis Guest

    Re: Tdimon ?? help

    (Earl) wrote in news:13163-4310CE3F-134@storefull-
    3273.bay.webtv.net:

    > Thanks for the help. Looked at site and think it said Tcpview was for
    > win nt and 2000 and i have win98 se. As for Tdimon looked up what TCP
    > and UDP means but new at this and not sure what this program will do.
    > Will it show me what info is going out & in of my computer and who or
    > whats doing it ?. Thanks.

    It's been so long I forget what tools I used to use for Win98 - call it
    incipient senile dementia :)

    But, yes, Tcpview does tell you what ports are in use and who "owns" the
    connection at each end. As such tools go I would class it as only mildly
    geeky - but you do have to have at least a basic understanding of tcp/udp,
    ports, processes, and such.

    The basic tcpview (the free one) only tells you where connections are
    originating and ending either on your computer (the process) or the outside
    one (destination url or ip) using which ports. Tcpview *pro* tells you a
    little more - not just the *from* and *to* but also the *contents* of the
    packets - however, interpreting packet traffic requires a higher level of
    geekiness.

    It's all rather intimidating when you first "go under the hood" but you
    will rapidly get the hang of it if you persevere (although learning is
    never finished).

    One suggestion before you use these tools to troubleshoot problems is to
    fire them up on a normal well-behaved system that is functioning correctly.
    This may then give you some idea of what may be out of the ordinary on the
    problem machine.

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Aug 28, 2005
  5. Earl

    nemo_outis Guest

    Re: Tdimon ?? help

    "nemo_outis" <> wrote in

    > (Earl) wrote in
    > news:13163-4310CE3F-134@storefull- 3273.bay.webtv.net:
    >
    >> Thanks for the help. Looked at site and think it said Tcpview was for
    >> win nt and 2000 and i have win98 se. As for Tdimon looked up what TCP
    >> and UDP means but new at this and not sure what this program will do.
    >> Will it show me what info is going out & in of my computer and who or
    >> whats doing it ?. Thanks.

    > It's been so long I forget what tools I used to use for Win98 - call
    > it incipient senile dementia :)

    FYI Sysinternals claims tcpview works on Win 98, so you may be in luck.

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Aug 28, 2005
  6. Earl

    Earl Guest

    Re: Tdimon ?? help

    Thanks for the help. Will gave it a try and learn as i go.
    Earl, Aug 28, 2005
  7. Earl

    nemo_outis Guest

    Re: Tdimon ?? help

    (Earl) wrote in news:12446-4311147A-551@storefull-
    3272.bay.webtv.net:

    > Thanks for the help. Will gave it a try and learn as i go.

    Start with tcpview; tdimon is a more specialized tool - trickier to
    understand and use.

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Aug 28, 2005