Need To Upgrade WINXP But....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Doug, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I know that updates can really do a number on an otherwise healthy pc.

    I have been running WINXP on my computer for about two years now and have
    *never* updated my OS, mainly because I am concerned about the havoc that
    these updates may wreak on my computer.

    Lately though I have been getting a tremendous amount of attempted and
    sometimes successful browser hijackings and loads of Trojan Horse spyware
    programs sneaking onto my HD.AVG and Ad-Aware remedy most of these pesky
    programs,but I'm getting kind of agitated with having to run these two
    programs once or twice on a daily basis to get rid of the junk that's trying
    to take over my computer.

    Except for the above mentioned problem my computer performs flawlessly and I
    don't want to rock the boat by updating my OS and possibly screwing things
    up.

    So,if and when I decide to update my OS what problems can I expect to
    encounter?

    -Doug
    Doug, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Doug

    pocahontas Guest

    You may update XP without any problems.
    But stay away from SP2.

    pocahontas, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Doug

    Jerry G. Guest

    You can do all the upgrades you want, but DO NOT upgrade to SP2. This can be
    a big package of problems for most users.

    You should be running XP with SP1, and the general security updates for your
    computer to be safe and stable.

    I am sure that there will be a very big fix coming out for SP2

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Sep 3, 2004
  4. Doug

    Gordon Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > You can do all the upgrades you want, but DO NOT upgrade to SP2. This can

    be
    > a big package of problems for most users.

    Rubbish. there are "some" problems for "some" users. Many thousands have
    installed SP2 with no problems at all!

    > You should be running XP with SP1, and the general security updates for

    your
    > computer to be safe and stable.
    >
    > I am sure that there will be a very big fix coming out for SP2

    Don't think so - big fix for what?
    Gordon, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Doug

    Gordon Guest

    "pocahontas" <> wrote in message
    > You may update XP without any problems.
    > But stay away from SP2.

    Why?
    Gordon, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Doug

    Pocahontas Guest

    I've had several customers who updated to SP2.
    Some of them couldn't even restart Windows after that,
    not even in the safe mode. Whatever the issue was, couldn't be found out, as
    I had to reinstall Win XP.
    So I think its safer to wait for Microsoft to react.

    Pocahontas, Sep 3, 2004
  7. Doug

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Doug" <> wrote in message
    > I know that updates can really do a number on an otherwise healthy pc.
    >

    > I have been running WINXP on my computer for about two years now and have
    > *never* updated my OS, mainly because I am concerned about the havoc that
    > these updates may wreak on my computer.

    Bad move. We run Windows Update, but manually, on maintenance clients
    machines on or after the third thursday of the month. This gives MS the time
    needed to fix any big problems/pull dodgy updates as they are released
    (usually) on the second wednesday/thursday of the month.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 3, 2004
  8. Doug

    Dan Evans Guest

    Dan Evans, Sep 3, 2004
  9. Doug

    Gordon Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jerry G." <> wrote in message

    > > > I am sure that there will be a very big fix coming out for SP2

    > > Don't think so - big fix for what?

    > Dan

    Why should MS issue a "fix" when all that is required is a bit of tweaking,
    as in your link?
    Gordon, Sep 3, 2004
  10. Doug

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jerry G." <> wrote in message

    > > > Don't think so - big fix for what?

    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242
    > >
    > > Dan
    > >

    > Why should MS issue a "fix" when all that is required is a bit of

    tweaking,
    > as in your link?

    How many home users even know what a port is, never mind what a Q article
    is, where to find it or even how to follow instructions. MS are saying "turn
    on automatic update and leave it to us to sort out your machine", then
    issuing a fix that has got to be the biggest fix in thier history (quarter
    of a gig, almost the same size as the I386 directory on the install CD) for
    what is touted their "most advanced, reliable and secure OS ever", then
    relying on the user to go round afterwards and make things work again.

    This is not making things easier for the average user.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 3, 2004
  11. Doug

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Pocahontas" <> wrote:

    >I've had several customers who updated to SP2.
    >Some of them couldn't even restart Windows after that,
    >not even in the safe mode. Whatever the issue was, couldn't be found out, as
    >I had to reinstall Win XP.
    >So I think its safer to wait for Microsoft to react.

    That's a bit unusual. None of my customers have had any problems with
    upgrading to SP2.

    The only substantive issue that I have heard about has to do with the
    new Intel Prescott line of CPUs and that is a motherboard BIOS problem
    that requires a BIOS update. But there are not that many people
    running Prescott CPUs as yet.

    Did your customers follow basic common sense procedures for installing
    an operating system upgrade? See
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm for some detailed advice.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 3, 2004
  12. Doug

    Gordon Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242
    >>>
    >>> Dan
    >>>

    >> Why should MS issue a "fix" when all that is required is a bit of
    >> tweaking, as in your link?

    > How many home users even know what a port is, never mind what a Q
    > article is, where to find it or even how to follow instructions. MS
    > are saying "turn on automatic update and leave it to us to sort out
    > your machine", then issuing a fix that has got to be the biggest fix
    > in thier history (quarter of a gig, almost the same size as the I386
    > directory on the install CD) for what is touted their "most advanced,
    > reliable and secure OS ever", then relying on the user to go round
    > afterwards and make things work again.
    >
    > This is not making things easier for the average user.
    >
    > Dan

    The "average" user is not going to be using many (if any!) of the apps in
    that list - games possibly, so it's fairly academic I would say.....
    Gordon, Sep 3, 2004
  13. Doug

    Gordon Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > I know that updates can really do a number on an otherwise healthy pc.
    >

    > I have been running WINXP on my computer for about two years now and
    > have *never* updated my OS, mainly because I am concerned about the
    > havoc that these updates may wreak on my computer.

    And what about the "havoc" that hackers and trojans and worms etc could do
    to your pc if it is NOT updated, and far more importantly, the havoc they
    could wreak on OTHER machines through yours. That is one of the MOST
    selfish, ignorant and arrogant statements I have ever seen in this group.
    Gordon, Sep 3, 2004
  14. Doug

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Dan Evans wrote:
    > > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > >> Why should MS issue a "fix" when all that is required is a bit of
    > >> tweaking, as in your link?

    > > How many home users even know what a port is, never mind what a Q
    > > article is, where to find it or even how to follow instructions. MS
    > > are saying "turn on automatic update and leave it to us to sort out
    > > your machine", then issuing a fix that has got to be the biggest fix
    > > in thier history (quarter of a gig, almost the same size as the I386
    > > directory on the install CD) for what is touted their "most advanced,
    > > reliable and secure OS ever", then relying on the user to go round
    > > afterwards and make things work again.
    > >
    > > This is not making things easier for the average user.
    > >
    > > Dan

    > The "average" user is not going to be using many (if any!) of the apps in
    > that list - games possibly, so it's fairly academic I would say.....

    Those are the apps that are known about/MS has bothered to list. Of the non
    MS programmes listed, almost all are from large "Enterprise" level vendors.
    What about the smaller vendors who haven't consulted or had RC copies of the
    SP2? Has the CRM problem been sorted yet?

    However, "CuteFTP" is a fairly common programme, "Windows Scanner and Camera
    Wizard" is probably going to be used a bit.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 3, 2004
  15. Doug

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    > You may update XP without any problems.
    > But stay away from SP2.

    NO, do SP2 for sure.
    Ron Reaugh, Sep 4, 2004
  16. Doug

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > You can do all the upgrades you want, but DO NOT upgrade to SP2. This can

    be
    > a big package of problems for most users.

    NO, the great majority of users have NO problems with SP2.
    Ron Reaugh, Sep 4, 2004
  17. Doug

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    > I've had several customers who updated to SP2.
    > Some of them couldn't even restart Windows after that,
    > not even in the safe mode. Whatever the issue was, couldn't be found out,

    as
    > I had to reinstall Win XP.
    > So I think its safer to wait for Microsoft to react.

    MS has nothing to react to but your customers might.

    SP2 works just fine.
    Ron Reaugh, Sep 4, 2004
  18. Doug

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Doug wrote:
    > > I know that updates can really do a number on an otherwise healthy pc.
    > >

    > > I have been running WINXP on my computer for about two years now and
    > > have *never* updated my OS, mainly because I am concerned about the
    > > havoc that these updates may wreak on my computer.
    > >

    > And what about the "havoc" that hackers and trojans and worms etc could do
    > to your pc if it is NOT updated, and far more importantly, the havoc they
    > could wreak on OTHER machines through yours. That is one of the MOST
    > selfish, ignorant and arrogant statements I have ever seen in this group.

    I agree COMPLETELY. SP2 is a community requirement. Most user have no
    problem with it but the few that do must get help as they are the ones that
    were likely ALREADY INFECTED and trashing the whole environment for others.
    Ron Reaugh, Sep 4, 2004
  19. Doug

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| "Pocahontas" <> wrote in message
    >| > I've had several customers who updated to SP2.
    >| > Some of them couldn't even restart Windows after that,
    >| > not even in the safe mode. Whatever the issue was, couldn't be
    >| > found out, as I had to reinstall Win XP.
    >| > So I think its safer to wait for Microsoft to react.
    >|
    >| MS has nothing to react to but your customers might.
    >|
    >| SP2 works just fine.

    Quite correct. However, installing SP2 on a system that *already* has flaws,
    defects, etc., could very easily cause major system problems. Just like
    upgrading from one version of Windows to another. Existing problems aren't
    fixed, but rather seem to be compounded.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Sep 4, 2004
  20. Doug

    Doug Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Doug wrote:
    > > I know that updates can really do a number on an otherwise healthy pc.
    > >

    > > I have been running WINXP on my computer for about two years now and
    > > have *never* updated my OS, mainly because I am concerned about the
    > > havoc that these updates may wreak on my computer.
    > >

    > And what about the "havoc" that hackers and trojans and worms etc could do
    > to your pc if it is NOT updated, and far more importantly, the havoc they
    > could wreak on OTHER machines through yours. That is one of the MOST
    > selfish, ignorant and arrogant statements I have ever seen in this group.

    Jesus Tapdancin' Christ Gordo,don't be so fuckin' melodramatic.
    I updated XP & all is well....for now.
    Doug, Sep 4, 2004