    I'm looking for a replacement, an affordable one, for my lost C-4000.

    Any suggestions? I'm no photographer; just a family guy trying to keep
    track of memories.

    Bryan, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Bryan

    Matti Vuori Guest

    "Bryan" <> wrote in
    news:8LHBe.2405$:

    > I need to replace my Olympus C-4000.
    > I lost it! That's why I need to replace it.
    > (...)
    > Any suggestions? I'm no photographer; just a family guy trying to
    > keep track of memories.

    It seems like you would really like another C-4000. Why not buy a used
    one? For example eBay would seem to have a couple available.

    As for the current cameras, since C-7000 seems a little small to you, try
    the 5060, 7070 or 8080, all of which are a bit sturdier and offer a more
    wideangle lens, more like the one on the C-4000.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Bryan

    Q Guest

    One of the reasons I've used Oly cameras for years is the fact that they
    used AA batteries. When it came time to upgrade last time I went with
    the 8080 even though I was a bit concerned about the proprietary
    battery. I like the proprietary battery because it lasts a very long
    time and I found new spares on ebay for $6 each. The cheap batteries
    have been working fine now for 9 months.

    I also thought I would like to use the smart media cards I already had
    but since the maximum capacity is only 128 megs they just aren't big
    enough to be of much use. The 8080 uses compact flash and XD both.

    Q, Jul 15, 2005
  4. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    "Matti Vuori" <> wrote in message
    > "Bryan" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I need to replace my Olympus C-4000.
    >> I lost it! That's why I need to replace it.
    >> (...)
    >> Any suggestions? I'm no photographer; just a family guy trying to
    >> keep track of memories.

    > It seems like you would really like another C-4000. Why not buy a used
    > one? For example eBay would seem to have a couple available.
    >
    > As for the current cameras, since C-7000 seems a little small to you, try
    > the 5060, 7070 or 8080, all of which are a bit sturdier and offer a more
    > wideangle lens, more like the one on the C-4000.
    >
    > --
    > Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    It's a great suggestion, but I am leaning toward upgraded technology since a
    replacement is mandatory. I will, however, keep an eye out for a used
    C-4000 at the stores; who knows, maybe someone will sell me the one I lost!

    Bryan, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    "Q" <> wrote in message
    > One of the reasons I've used Oly cameras for years is the fact that they
    > used AA batteries. When it came time to upgrade last time I went with the
    > 8080 even though I was a bit concerned about the proprietary battery. I
    > like the proprietary battery because it lasts a very long time and I found
    > new spares on ebay for $6 each. The cheap batteries have been working fine
    > now for 9 months.
    >
    > I also thought I would like to use the smart media cards I already had but
    > since the maximum capacity is only 128 megs they just aren't big enough to
    > be of much use. The 8080 uses compact flash and XD both.

    Am I being unreasonable about the proprietary battery? I thought it was
    about $37 for the battery!
    Still, I do like a larger camera for my large and mildly arthritic hands.

    Bryan, Jul 15, 2005
  6. Bryan

    Q Guest

    I wouldn't base my decision on which camera to buy on which type of
    batteries it uses. What I would do is to check to see if that particular
    type of battery is available on ebay for cheap. Buy an Oly BLM1 battery
    from Oly and it'll cost you $37 but you can buy a cheap copy that works
    just fine for $5 or $10 which is less than a pack of 4 NMIH cells. The
    camera will come with one battery and a charger. Pick up a couple extra
    batteries on ebay and you'll be set for years.

    Q, Jul 15, 2005
  7. In article <OKRBe.2675$>, "Bryan"
    <> wrote:

    > Am I being unreasonable about the proprietary battery? I thought it was
    > about $37 for the battery!
    > Still, I do like a larger camera for my large and mildly arthritic hands.

    Brian-

    I have had an older C-3040Z Olympus camera for several years. About the
    time the C-8080 came out, I bought the Canon Rebel 300D. A friend at work
    had the C-8080, and it easily out-performed my Canon. (Except for the
    greater number of pixels, I think the C-3040Z out-performs it as well!)

    You're not being unreasonable about the proprietary battery, especially if
    you expect to keep the camera for many years. In several years when your
    initial supply of batteries have all died, it may not be so easy to get
    new ones. Good or bad, most of us replace digital cameras because of
    obsolescence rather than wear-out, so battery rarity has not been a
    serious problem.

    On the battery issue alone, I prefer the older Olympus option of using
    either four AA cells or a pair of CR-V3 Lithium batteries. NiMH AA cells
    self-discharge over time, so when you do need them they may let you down.
    New cells aren't as bad, but in a few months they can need weekly charging
    to be dependable. Although I rarely use it, I've had the same CR-V3
    batteries in my C-3040Z for a couple of years now and they still are going
    strong.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Jul 17, 2005