    I am going to start a business but the web site itself won't be huge.
    I need to obtain a domain name and someone to host it.

    Any recommendations?.

    Corky, Apr 5, 2007

  2. Corky

    XPD Guest

    "Corky" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello
    >
    > I am going to start a business but the web site itself won't be huge.
    > I need to obtain a domain name and someone to host it.
    >
    > Any recommendations?.

    I use Iserve - $20 per month - 20mb space, SQL, PHP etc etc.
    I may have to look at upgrading tho, keep running outta space :)

    There are other cheaper options however if you look towards the US for
    hosting.

    XPD, Apr 6, 2007

  3. Corky

    Ross Guest

    On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:11:41 +1200, "XPD"
    <> wrote:

    >"Corky" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am going to start a business but the web site itself won't be huge.
    >> I need to obtain a domain name and someone to host it.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?.

    >I use Iserve - $20 per month - 20mb space, SQL, PHP etc etc.
    >I may have to look at upgrading tho, keep running outta space :)
    >
    >There are other cheaper options however if you look towards the US for
    >hosting.

    You could host it yourself. Using the Custom DNS service from
    www.dyndns.com/services/dns/custom/ $US25 per year

    Ross, Apr 6, 2007
  4. Corky

    Enkidu Guest

    Corky wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I am going to start a business but the web site itself won't be huge.
    > I need to obtain a domain name and someone to host it.
    >
    > Any recommendations?.

    You are conflating three things - the Domain Name and the hosting of the
    DNS entries and the web site hosting. They can be separate or they can
    be done by the same organisation. My site is hosted by organisation A
    and my DNS is with ISP B, but my DNS is registered with organisation C.

    You can register your Domain Name with, say, DomainMongers or DomaiNZ.
    When you do this you specify the DNS in which your Domain Name
    information is held. It could be the Registrar's DNS, or your ISP's DNS
    or a third party's DNS. Theoretically you could also host your own DNS,
    but most people don't do that these days.

    You get someone to host the actual web site, then get your DNS provider
    to point the DNS entries at the IP given to you by the web site hoster.

    Or, you take the easy way out and get one organisation to do the lot.
    Some of the US organisations are pretty cheap.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Apr 6, 2007

    <http://www.discountdomains.co.nz>

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 6, 2007
  6. Corky

    XPD Guest

    "Ross" <> wrote in message
    >>There are other cheaper options however if you look towards the US for
    >>hosting.

    > You could host it yourself. Using the Custom DNS service from
    > www.dyndns.com/services/dns/custom/ $US25 per year

    On NZ's pathetic 128k upload ? Itd be painful........

    XPD, Apr 6, 2007
  7. Corky

    dmbkiwi Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:11:41 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > "Corky" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am going to start a business but the web site itself won't be huge. I
    >> need to obtain a domain name and someone to host it.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?.

    > I use Iserve - $20 per month - 20mb space, SQL, PHP etc etc. I may have
    > to look at upgrading tho, keep running outta space :)
    >
    > There are other cheaper options however if you look towards the US for
    > hosting.

    godaddy.com

    About $4 per month for 5GB of space and 250GB of traffic 10 MySQL
    databases. So far it's been very reliable for the three sites I run.

    Cheers

    Matt

    dmbkiwi, Apr 6, 2007
  8. Corky

    Rob Guest

    "Corky" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I am going to start a business but the web site itself won't be huge.
    > I need to obtain a domain name and someone to host it.
    >
    > Any recommendations?.

    www.netguide.co.nz has a list of all in one companies. If you want no fuss,
    it is often best to get it all from the same company, as then you don't need
    to deal with multiple companies.

    Rob, Apr 8, 2007