    its' way the room is gonna get warmer. Hate to have this racket going on
    just a normal day.

    Any suggestions ?
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 8, 2004

  2. -=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:
    > Will there be much of a change if I change to 120mm fans at a slower
    > speed ?

    yes, greatly.

    > Or water cool and sound dampeners on the interior ?

    yes, if you feel the need to empty your wallet.

    > Side fan
    > kicks in automatically on running games, but I'm thinking of summer on
    > its' way the room is gonna get warmer. Hate to have this racket going on
    > just a normal day.

    > Any suggestions ?

    I used that rubber doct tape that rugby players use to hold their socks
    up and laid it between my drives and the case, and also between the case
    and it's removable sides.
    It cut down on noise a lot, vibration noise that is, which seems to be a
    lot of it.

    I then got some of that spray on automotive rubber stuff, ~$$22 a can
    last time I looked, and I taped up my case and sprayed it on the inside
    of the sides, and also on the base and "roof" of the case. It has added
    a few degrees (3C) to the case temp, but quietened it down a fair bit.

    I also found that oiling the fans helped a hell of a lot, and yeah I've
    read how you shouldn't oil fans you should use "product x" but in my
    machine are all cheap fans, so it makes f' all difference.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 8, 2004

  3. -=[Waylon Smithers]=-

    MarkH Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in

    > I also found that oiling the fans helped a hell of a lot, and yeah
    > I've read how you shouldn't oil fans you should use "product x" but in
    > my machine are all cheap fans, so it makes f' all difference.

    I had a noisy vid card fan, bloody hard to find a good replacement. So I
    dismantled the fan from the heatsink and peeled back the sticker to reveal
    the ball bearing, a drop of Mobil 1(tm) and viola, quite as a church mouse.

    Combined with a new case with 3 12CM fans my PC is now cool, but quiet.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 7-Nov-04)
    MarkH, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Suddenly, -=[Waylon Smithers]=- sprang forth and uttered these pithy
    words:
    > Currently I'm running a 400w silent psu, and the PC case has a 80mm side
    > fan sucking in, as well as something on the video and cpu. No other
    > fans pushing out the hot air.

    Not necessarily bad, although the side is not usually considered an
    optimal place for intake (because some components won't get airflow)...

    > Will there be much of a change if I change to 120mm fans at a slower
    > speed ?

    Yep.

    I am running a single 120 output fan and it is extremely quiet.
    I also use a Zalman flower cooler for the 3200 CPU:

    which is amazingly quiet and cools very well, even without Cool'n'Quiet
    enabled.

    Finally video fans tend to be small and noisy, so you can use (for
    example) another Zalman product

    which has no fan - it cools my 9800Pro OK, although many people would
    probably feel it was "too hot".

    I run UT2004 for hours and hours with no stability problems (after
    driver issues sorted out).

    I was really pleased to find I could get a nearly bleeding edge (at the
    time) system and still make it quiet :)

    > Or water cool and sound dampeners on the interior ?

    Personally I think that is excessive for most people, unless you want to
    overclock.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 9, 2004
  5. S Roby wrote:
    > Run all the fans at 5v

    although this would quieten down the machine a lot, a little caution is
    certainly necessary.
    Many fans wont start spinning with only 5v, and 7v is needed. but YMMV.

    > Get a cpu cooler that will take a 80mm fan & run it at 5v

    again see above.

    > Some HD's have a utility that you can download & run to make them quieter

    usually this kills performance, and a slow Hdd is rather noticble.
    If you go this route, be sure that you are happy with it. Personally,
    I'd rather have a little more noise from the Hdd than lagging performance.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004
  6. -=[Waylon Smithers]=-

    S Roby Guest

    Run all the fans at 5v
    Go to Jaycar & by some sound deadening material & put it on the insides of
    the sides of your case
    If you have a m/b chipset fan , use a passive cooler instead ($18)
    S Roby, Nov 9, 2004
  7. -=[Waylon Smithers]=-

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:12:58 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
    <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com> wrote:

    >Running a 3200+ on a Gigabyte GA-K8NS and I want to quiet the whole
    >thing down a bit.
    >
    >Currently I'm running a 400w silent psu, and the PC case has a 80mm side
    >fan sucking in, as well as something on the video and cpu. No other
    >fans pushing out the hot air.
    >
    >Will there be much of a change if I change to 120mm fans at a slower
    >speed ? Or water cool and sound dampeners on the interior ? Side fan
    >kicks in automatically on running games, but I'm thinking of summer on
    >its' way the room is gonna get warmer. Hate to have this racket going on
    >just a normal day.
    >
    >Any suggestions ?

    If you are prepared to spend a lot and change the case, then
    http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=64&code=020

    Or how about sa big water cooler
    http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=63&code=021

    I wonder if sometimes we get too fussy on how cool it is in there. Sure if may
    wear out the parts quicker, but how long are you going to have them before you
    want to replace them anyway. One way of looking at it is if it dies then it's a
    good excuse to get a better faster one. :)
    Craig Shore, Nov 9, 2004
  8. > I am running a single 120 output fan and it is extremely quiet.
    > I also use a Zalman flower cooler for the 3200 CPU:
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117523
    >
    > which is amazingly quiet and cools very well, even without Cool'n'Quiet
    > enabled.

    Thanks for the links Aaron, very helpful. Might end up going down this
    path . . .
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 9, 2004