    anything with these, or should IP connectivity be enough?

    Thanks!

    --Steve

    pfisterfarm, Apr 23, 2008

  2. pfisterfarm

    Merv Guest

    On Apr 23, 9:35 am, pfisterfarm <> wrote:
    > I've got a central site with several remote sites connected over ATM.
    > A typical setup looks like this (starting from the remote side):
    >
    > core 3500 switch -> 3640 router -> 8510 ATM switch -> ATM cloud ->
    > 8510 ATM switch -> central core 4507
    >
    > All the remote sides are connected to one of two 8510 switches.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to pass vlan information and have a couple of
    > ports at the central site be assigned to a particular vlan from each
    > of the remote sites (even just temporarily). How can I do this? IP
    > connectivity is already in place and working fine. I've looked into
    > LANE, IP/ATM, MPOA (does that work on 8500s?). Do I need to do
    > anything with these, or should IP connectivity be enough?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --Steve

    take a look at Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol version 3 Q & A

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns588/netqa09186a008009d4ea.html

    Merv, Apr 23, 2008

  3. pfisterfarm

    Guest

    On 23 Apr, 16:13, Merv <> wrote:
    > On Apr 23, 9:35 am, pfisterfarm <> wrote:
    >

    > > I've got a central site with several remote sites connected over ATM.
    > > A typical setup looks like this (starting from the remote side):

    > > core 3500 switch -> 3640 router -> 8510 ATM switch -> ATM cloud ->
    > > 8510 ATM switch -> central core 4507

    > > All the remote sides are connected to one of two 8510 switches.

    > > I'd like to be able to pass vlan information and have a couple of
    > > ports at the central site be assigned to a particular vlan from each
    > > of the remote sites (even just temporarily). How can I do this? IP
    > > connectivity is already in place and working fine. I've looked into
    > > LANE, IP/ATM, MPOA (does that work on 8500s?). Do I need to do
    > > anything with these, or should IP connectivity be enough?

    > > Thanks!

    > > --Steve

    > take a look at Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol version 3 Q & A
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns588/netqa09186a008009d4ea.html- Hide quoted text -

    That looks like a fine idea.

    Getting involved in LANE - even if is is still possible
    these days - would in my view be a terrible plan.
    Few people ever used it and very few now will
    remember much about it.

    Better yet - avoid transporting the L2 over your network.

    , Apr 24, 2008