Need to occasionally "repair" connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Mar 21, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a WPA secured wireless network that connects to Cox cable internet
    via a router. Works fine. But _every now and then_, when I wake my XP
    Media Center laptop from "Standby" (by lifting the lid), I cannot connect to
    the internet.

    During these times, the icon on the taskbar shows the wireless to "still" be
    connected, but I need to do a "Repair" to restore my internet connection.

    Most of the time the loss of internet connection does NOT occur when I
    return from standby, so this is not a major problem and I can live with it
    as I have for years, but I wonder if there is something I could do to find
    the cause and stop it from happening. When I do a "repair", the popup
    window tells me that if this keeps happening I should contact my network
    administrator. In my case that person is "me" so I have no one to call
    about it <grin>.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Jeff
    Guest, Mar 21, 2009

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I forgot to add that I connect with this laptop to the internet via a router
    used as a WAP. This router is connected by cable to "the" router that is
    actually connected to the cable modem.

    I suspect that may be the problem. I did this as a way of increasing my
    available network range.

    Jeff

    Guest, Mar 21, 2009

  3. Guest

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Look at the Wireless card configuration menu, and try the Power save option.
    Make sure that it allows to wake on traffic, or take it out of the Power
    Saving loop and keep it On all the time.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Mar 21, 2009
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you.

    Jeff

    Guest, Mar 22, 2009
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I tried what you suggested (kept it alive all the time) but it made no
    difference. So I switched it back.

    Could my problems be from my using a second router as a WAP (I described it
    above)? If so anything else I can try?

    Jeff

    Guest, Mar 22, 2009
  6. Guest

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    The second Router that is used as a WAP should be configured like this,
    Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    If the first Router is Wireless too, try to set the Routers so that each one
    works on another channel (like set one with channel One and the other with
    Eleven).
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Mar 22, 2009
  7. Guest