    it. I installed a second hard drive
    for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also wondering
    if there is any open source boot managers available.

    don, Oct 14, 2009

  2. don wrote:
    > I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has Vista on
    > it. I installed a second hard drive
    > for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also wondering
    > if there is any open source boot managers available.

    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

    I can only assume Google was not operational when you asked your
    question, so here is an authoritive article which appears to answer your
    query.

    It's a pleasure.

    Caulfield Man, Oct 14, 2009

  3. don

    housetrained Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message
    > I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has Vista
    > on it. I installed a second hard drive
    > for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also
    > wondering if there is any open source boot managers available.

    As you have two drives the easiest way is to temporarily unplug your vista
    drive and install XP as tho' it's the only one. When all is up to date
    re-plug in your vista drive then when you turn on the computer hold down F8
    and you will get the choice which drive (Vista or XP) to boot to.
    --

    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on
    people. - W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

    housetrained, Oct 14, 2009
  4. don

    chuckcar Guest

    "don" <> wrote in news:hb3h6o$rng$:

    > I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has Vista
    > on it. I installed a second hard drive
    > for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also
    > wondering if there is any open source boot managers available.

    Good luck with drivers for such trivial things as your video card and
    sound card. You'll need it.

    Name brand computers are made to run *one* and *only* one operating system
    with the possibility of an upgrade to Microsoft's latest depending on when
    they come on the market. You bought a Vista machine without looking for an
    XP computer or checking to see what problems exists with Vista. Not to be
    mean, but that's the lesson here - along with what happens when you buy a
    cheap computer.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 14, 2009
  5. don

    Alfred Guest

    chuckcar schrieb:
    > "don" <> wrote in news:hb3h6o$rng$:
    >
    >> I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has Vista
    >> on it. I installed a second hard drive
    >> for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also
    >> wondering if there is any open source boot managers available.
    >>

    > Good luck with drivers for such trivial things as your video card and
    > sound card. You'll need it.
    >
    > Name brand computers are made to run *one* and *only* one operating system
    > with the possibility of an upgrade to Microsoft's latest depending on when
    > they come on the market. You bought a Vista machine without looking for an
    > XP computer or checking to see what problems exists with Vista. Not to be
    > mean, but that's the lesson here - along with what happens when you buy a
    > cheap computer.

    Try Ubuntu Linux, it's better than Windows XP! On Ubuntu Linux you dont
    need to install a new system, you geht the new systems automaticaly over
    the internet. ;-)

    Alfred, Oct 14, 2009
  6. don

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:49:10 -0500, "don" <> wrote:

    >> As you have two drives the easiest way is to temporarily unplug your vista
    >> drive and install XP as tho' it's the only one. When all is up to date
    >> re-plug in your vista drive then when you turn on the computer hold down
    >> F8 and you will get the choice which drive (Vista or XP) to boot to.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on
    >> people. - W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)
    >>

    >THis is what I thought I could do, and I had actually found a setting in the
    >BIOS that allowed me to disable the first harddrive containing Vista, but
    >then WinXP still said it found another operating system on my harddrive, but
    >now I will pull the cable off and see what happens.. Also can WIN XP load
    >onto a SATA harddrive with no problems?

    If the sata driver is not present on the Sata drive, then yes you will
    have problems.

    joevan, Oct 14, 2009
  7. don

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:49:10 -0500, "don" <> wrote:

    >> As you have two drives the easiest way is to temporarily unplug your vista
    >> drive and install XP as tho' it's the only one. When all is up to date
    >> re-plug in your vista drive then when you turn on the computer hold down
    >> F8 and you will get the choice which drive (Vista or XP) to boot to.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on
    >> people. - W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)
    >>

    >THis is what I thought I could do, and I had actually found a setting in the
    >BIOS that allowed me to disable the first harddrive containing Vista, but
    >then WinXP still said it found another operating system on my harddrive, but
    >now I will pull the cable off and see what happens.. Also can WIN XP load
    >onto a SATA harddrive with no problems?

    Your clock is off.

    joevan, Oct 14, 2009
  8. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    don wrote:

    > Also can WIN XP load onto a SATA harddrive with no problems?

    I have had XP installs which couldn't handle a SATA II without help.

    The problem is that if you want to hand XP a driver, it can only look at
    a fdd to find the SATA drivers. Many modern systems don't come with a
    floppy.

    So, then it gets a little more complicated.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 14, 2009
  9. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:49:10 -0500

    > Your clock is off.

    Wrong TZ offset. Maybe he's using some old fashioned auto daylight time
    changer. In the US EST would be -0500, but it is still daylight time so
    his offset should be -0400 if he is eastern.

    But, even with the old system before 2005, it should still be daylight
    time. Maybe I should just stick with 'wrong tz offset' and not try to
    figger out why :)

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 14, 2009
  10. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > joevan

    >> Your clock is off.

    > Your door is a jar.

    I'm pretty sure there is a joke in here that has something to do with
    ambiguous words, but I don't really get it.

    Is 'your clock is off' considered to be an ambiguous statement? -- that
    the clock isn't really off as in 'gone' or off as in 'turned off', but
    instead the clock's time is incorrect...

    ..... s o o o o o ...

    .... we consider another seemingly ambiguous statement, 'Your door is
    ajar' which sounds like 'your door is a jar'

    Is that the whole thing, or am I missing the clever part?

    Or, ? is joevan being criticized for not politely beginning his Date
    stamp informational statement with the apologetic, "Voluntary clock
    police courtesy report."?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 14, 2009
  11. don

    don Guest

    don, Oct 14, 2009
  12. don

    chuckcar Guest

    Alfred <> wrote in

    > chuckcar schrieb:
    >> "don" <> wrote in news:hb3h6o$rng$:
    >>
    >>> I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has
    >>> Vista on it. I installed a second hard drive
    >>> for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also
    >>> wondering if there is any open source boot managers available.
    >>>

    >> Good luck with drivers for such trivial things as your video card and
    >> sound card. You'll need it.
    >>
    >> Name brand computers are made to run *one* and *only* one operating
    >> system with the possibility of an upgrade to Microsoft's latest
    >> depending on when they come on the market. You bought a Vista machine
    >> without looking for an XP computer or checking to see what problems
    >> exists with Vista. Not to be mean, but that's the lesson here - along
    >> with what happens when you buy a cheap computer.
    >>

    > Try Ubuntu Linux, it's better than Windows XP! On Ubuntu Linux you dont
    > need to install a new system, you geht the new systems automaticaly over
    > the internet. ;-)

    No thank you. I have *no* interest at all in distrubutions. Certainly not
    in ones where the majority of users seem to think it's something other
    than linux packaged with a few scripts the resellers wrote.

    The OP isn't looking for a unix varient, he's looking for a solution that
    gives him an OS he won't be confused by. That's all assuming of course
    that you had *addressed* the OP which you didn't. Learn how to use threads
    before you post again.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 14, 2009
  13. don

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:03:34 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:54:19 -0400, joevan <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Your clock is off.

    >Your door is a jar.

    Maybe my timing is off. All my doors are either open or closed. And
    all the jars are in the cupboard.

    joevan, Oct 14, 2009
  14. In message <Xns9CA482635BF13chucknilcar@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar wrote:
    > "don" <> wrote in news:hb3h6o$rng$:
    >
    > > I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has Vista
    > > on it. I installed a second hard drive
    > > for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also
    > > wondering if there is any open source boot managers available.
    > >

    > Good luck with drivers for such trivial things as your video card and
    > sound card. You'll need it.
    >
    > Name brand computers are made to run *one* and *only* one operating system

    Really? That sounds like something a quitter would say :)
    I'm running BeOS Max v4b1 on a Dell Dimension 4100. It took a few minor tweaks
    but in the end I'm fairly conversant in the BeOS.

    > with the possibility of an upgrade to Microsoft's latest depending on when
    > they come on the market. You bought a Vista machine without looking for an
    > XP computer or checking to see what problems exists with Vista.

    So he's adverturous or stupid. Both are fun.

    > Not to be
    > mean,

    Too fucking late for that, old bean.

    > but that's the lesson here - along with what happens when you buy a
    > cheap computer.

    Expensive computers can be shit too. Overheating Apples...non-replacable
    batteries etc. BEing a beta tester is never an easy thing :)

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 14, 2009
  15. don

    chuckcar Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > joevan wrote:
    >> "don"

    > Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:49:10 -0500
    >
    >> Your clock is off.

    > Wrong TZ offset. Maybe he's using some old fashioned auto daylight time
    > changer. In the US EST would be -0500, but it is still daylight time so
    > his offset should be -0400 if he is eastern.

    Correct for EST. US east coast has *already* changed the clocks. Along
    with the parts of Canada in that time zone: Quebec and Ontario.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 14, 2009
  16. don

    chuckcar Guest

    "don" <> wrote in news:hb3h6o$rng$:

    > I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has Vista
    > on it. I installed a second hard drive
    > for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also
    > wondering if there is any open source boot managers available.

    A second crack: If you *really* want to run XP on that computer, buy four
    things: and ide controller card (about $10-$30) an ide hard drive ($80
    for a cheap one) a *retail* (*not* OEM) graphics and sound card. Specify you
    want retail and not OEM in the store so you get drivers and everything else.
    And specify you *want* them for XP. Plug them all into the computer removing
    the SATA crap, go into the bios and disable the gateway sound and video
    (if onboard). Put a retail XP installation CD in the #1 CDROM/DVDROM drive, set
    the boot order to Hard drive, #1 cdrom drive in that order, save the changes,
    and reboot. Anything *else* that gateway supplied with the computer can be either
    not used or replaced in the same way. This should result in XP asking you
    if you want to allocate some or all of the drive for XP. At that point you
    know you're ok.

    Really, the drivers for Vista simply won't work on XP. You *could* check
    to see if they have XP drivers for *your* computer on gateway's web site,
    but the odds are very bad.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 14, 2009
  17. don

    chuckcar Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > In message <Xns9CA482635BF13chucknilcar@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar wrote:
    >> "don" <> wrote in news:hb3h6o$rng$:
    >>
    >> > I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has
    >> > Vista on it. I installed a second hard drive
    >> > for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also
    >> > wondering if there is any open source boot managers available.
    >> >

    >> Good luck with drivers for such trivial things as your video card and
    >> sound card. You'll need it.
    >>
    >> Name brand computers are made to run *one* and *only* one operating
    >> system

    > Really? That sounds like something a quitter would say :)
    > I'm running BeOS Max v4b1 on a Dell Dimension 4100. It took a few minor
    > tweaks but in the end I'm fairly conversant in the BeOS.

    Since when is BEOS a Microsoft Operating system? And name *one* name brand
    computer that *comes* with BEOS.

    > Expensive computers can be shit too. Overheating Apples...non-replacable
    > batteries etc. BEing a beta tester is never an easy thing :)

    And that's why there's a warrenty. No go complain to some bartender about
    how your Bentley broke down.

    ROFL.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 15, 2009
  18. don

    lugnut Guest

    wrote:

    >> As you have two drives the easiest way is to temporarily unplug your vista
    >> drive and install XP as tho' it's the only one. When all is up to date
    >> re-plug in your vista drive then when you turn on the computer hold down
    >> F8 and you will get the choice which drive (Vista or XP) to boot to.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on
    >> people. - W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)
    >>

    >THis is what I thought I could do, and I had actually found a setting in the
    >BIOS that allowed me to disable the first harddrive containing Vista, but
    >then WinXP still said it found another operating system on my harddrive, but
    >now I will pull the cable off and see what happens.. Also can WIN XP load
    >onto a SATA harddrive with no problems?

    What I stumbled onto with my Dell was to go into the BIOS
    Drives setup. Found the setting for SATA Operation and set
    it to "RAID Autodetect / ATA".

    AFAICT, this appears to set the drive for normal ATA
    operation as far as XP is concerned. Once XP completed
    installing, I went online and downloaded the drivers from
    Dell for the SATA drives and other hardware. You may
    already have them someplace for your machine. I installed
    all the needed drivers as indicated by the Device Manager in
    XP. Reset the BIOS to the normal settings and restarted the
    machine. No further problem.

    You could also use one of the machine info packages like
    Belarc advisor to determine what hardware you should be
    getting drivers for.

    You can also use nLite to build an installation CD for XP
    with the correct drivers slipstreamed. There are good
    instruction there for that chore.

    Once this is done, you can use the F8 key at boot to select
    a setup. There are also some dual boot utilities that may
    eliminate to F8 and just point to what you want. I am not
    the most uptodate on this. I am finding bits and pieces of
    the puzzle as I go. My ultimate object is to be able to
    multiboot this thing with at least 2 versions of windows
    plus a Linux of some flavor. A virtual machine may be a
    much better way to go once Windows 7 is up and running in a
    couple of weeks.

    Lugnut

    lugnut, Oct 15, 2009
  19. don

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >>> Name brand computers are made to run *one* and *only* one operating
    >>> system

    >> Really? That sounds like something a quitter would say :)
    >> I'm running BeOS Max v4b1 on a Dell Dimension 4100. It took a few minor
    >> tweaks but in the end I'm fairly conversant in the BeOS.

    >Since when is BEOS a Microsoft Operating system?

    So your saying name brand computers are made to only run windows.

    >And name *one* name brand computer that *comes* with BEOS.

    §ñühw¤£f's
    --

    How soon people forget
    http://imgur.com/CVkCC.png

    , Oct 15, 2009
  20. don

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> I need to install WinXP on a Gateway FX computer which already has Vista
    >> on it. I installed a second hard drive
    >> for XP but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I was also
    >> wondering if there is any open source boot managers available.

    >A second crack: If you *really* want to run XP on that computer, buy four
    >things:

    Christ, let's complicate things a bit huh.

    Not a crack, or hack, but a viable second option is to run VMWare
    http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ it's up to the OP to find the
    ..VMX file
    --

    How soon people forget