Need to get emails off old hard drive for new install

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by lynx, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. lynx

    lynx Guest

    Hi. I'm doing a new install of XP, and all programs, on a new hard drive
    to replace the old one. I have decided to use Mozilla/Thunderbird in
    place of Netscape 7.2 that I have been using for ages, since it seems to
    be the replacement for it. (unless someone can say why that is not a
    good idea?) But what I need to know is how to get all my mail
    boxes/emails/newsgroups from the old drive to the new one? I can install
    the old hard drive as a slave if necessary to copy files, or copy them
    to removable media. Thanks,

    --

    rgds,

    Pete
    ~~~~~
    'Hi, my name is Any Key. Please don't hit me! '

    lynx, Sep 26, 2006

  2. On 09/26/2006 06:44 AM, lynx wrote:
    > Hi. I'm doing a new install of XP, and all programs, on a new hard drive
    > to replace the old one. I have decided to use Mozilla/Thunderbird in
    > place of Netscape 7.2 that I have been using for ages, since it seems to
    > be the replacement for it. (unless someone can say why that is not a
    > good idea?) But what I need to know is how to get all my mail
    > boxes/emails/newsgroups from the old drive to the new one? I can install
    > the old hard drive as a slave if necessary to copy files, or copy them
    > to removable media. Thanks,

    If you are a Netscape user, you'll feel more comfortable with Seamonkey
    than with Thunderbird. The old Mozilla Suite is dead.

    Copy your profile to removable media: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile

    Then install Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey

    When you start SM, be sure to create a *new* profile. You do not want
    Seamonkey to use the old Netscape profile, which is what it will do by
    default.

    After you've created the new profile in Seamonkey, close SM and migrate
    the most important parts of your old, backed-up, profile into the new SM
    profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Migration_(mail)

    Go to http://kb.mozillazine.org/ for more information about the Mozilla
    applications (Netscape, Mozilla Suite, Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey).

    BTW, when you crosspost to this many groups like this, it's probably a
    good idea to let people know what group you are reading, because I might
    have chosen to only post to one group, and you might have missed the
    message.

    (Follow-ups to alt.fan.mozilla)

    Mumia W. (reading news), Sep 26, 2006

  3. lynx

    lynx Guest

    Mumia W. (reading news) wrote:

    > On 09/26/2006 06:44 AM, lynx wrote:
    >> Hi. I'm doing a new install of XP, and all programs, on a new hard
    >> drive to replace the old one. I have decided to use
    >> Mozilla/Thunderbird in place of Netscape 7.2 that I have been using
    >> for ages, since it seems to be the replacement for it. (unless
    >> someone can say why that is not a good idea?) But what I need to know
    >> is how to get all my mail boxes/emails/newsgroups from the old drive
    >> to the new one? I can install the old hard drive as a slave if
    >> necessary to copy files, or copy them to removable media. Thanks,
    >>

    > If you are a Netscape user, you'll feel more comfortable with
    > Seamonkey than with Thunderbird. The old Mozilla Suite is dead.
    >
    > Copy your profile to removable media: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    >
    > Then install Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey
    >
    > When you start SM, be sure to create a *new* profile. You do not want
    > Seamonkey to use the old Netscape profile, which is what it will do by
    > default.
    >
    > After you've created the new profile in Seamonkey, close SM and
    > migrate the most important parts of your old, backed-up, profile into
    > the new SM profile:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Migration_(mail)
    >
    > Go to http://kb.mozillazine.org/ for more information about the
    > Mozilla applications (Netscape, Mozilla Suite, Firefox, Thunderbird
    > and Seamonkey).
    >
    > BTW, when you crosspost to this many groups like this, it's probably a
    > good idea to let people know what group you are reading, because I
    > might have chosen to only post to one group, and you might have missed
    > the message.

    ok.

    > (Follow-ups to alt.fan.mozilla)

    Thanks very much for the info / your help. I have now got it working -
    but not without incident. :(

    --

    rgds,

    Pete
    ~~~~~
    'What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?'

    lynx, Sep 27, 2006