    Format the HD? If it isn't done with a floppy how can it be done. I cannot
    even get to Safe Mode. I want to completely Format the HD so I can
    reinstall.

    Shirley Azvedo, Apr 21, 2006

  2. Shirley Azvedo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:E5V1g.26706$,
    Shirley Azvedo spewed forth:
    > Using 160Gig HD, IE, 2.0Gig Hz
    >
    > Will someone please send me instructions for creating a floppy to use
    > to Format the HD? If it isn't done with a floppy how can it be done.
    > I cannot even get to Safe Mode. I want to completely Format the HD
    > so I can reinstall.

    Are you running XP? You don't NEED to reformat. You boot from the install
    CD, then delete the existing partition (when setup asks you which partition
    you want to install XP on), which then prompts you to format during the
    setup process. I recommend using the NTFS file system instead of FAT32.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 21, 2006

  3. Shirley Azvedo

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:E5V1g.26706$ "Shirley
    Azvedo" <> wrote:

    > Using 160Gig HD, IE, 2.0Gig Hz
    >
    > Will someone please send me instructions for creating a floppy to use to
    > Format the HD? If it isn't done with a floppy how can it be done. I
    > cannot even get to Safe Mode. I want to completely Format the HD so I
    > can reinstall.

    Just guessing that you'll be reinstalling Windows? Windows XP, maybe?

    If so, you'll be installing from a bootable CD, right?

    You'll be offered the chance to format your drive as you install.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Apr 21, 2006
  4. Shirley Azvedo

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-20, Shirley Azvedo <> wrote:
    > Using 160Gig HD, IE, 2.0Gig Hz
    >
    > Will someone please send me instructions for creating a floppy to use to
    > Format the HD? If it isn't done with a floppy how can it be done. I cannot
    > even get to Safe Mode. I want to completely Format the HD so I can
    > reinstall.

    Can you set the CD player up so you can insert the install CD and boot
    directly from the CD? It's done with a BIOS setting...hit F1 just after you
    restart the machine.

    --
    You can boot and run fdisk from a floppy but...

    Jimchip, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Shirley Azvedo

    Joe Guest

    Bootdisk.com offers several bootdisk to download and use for free. What you
    do is download the executable file. Once downloaded you double click on it,
    and it will ask you to insert a blank floppy to write, once finished you
    will now have your boot disk.

    Now as a side note, I don't recommend formatting your hard drive unless you
    absolutely have to. Because once you format you drive there is no going
    back, everything you have on your computer will be gone "forever". If you
    have Windows XP, there are many tools built in to fix the OS if your having
    problems with it. Now if your having problems with spyware and viruses,
    there are several free program that you can use to scan your computer and
    rid yourself of such critters. If you need any recommendations I can help as
    for I do computer repair work as a part-time job out of my home, and I'm
    within months of being A+, MCSE, and Network certified.

    Joe, Apr 21, 2006
  6. Joe wrote:
    > Bootdisk.com offers several bootdisk to download and use for free. What you
    > do is download the executable file. Once downloaded you double click on it,
    > and it will ask you to insert a blank floppy to write, once finished you
    > will now have your boot disk.
    >
    > Now as a side note, I don't recommend formatting your hard drive unless you
    > absolutely have to. Because once you format you drive there is no going
    > back, everything you have on your computer will be gone "forever". If you
    > have Windows XP, there are many tools built in to fix the OS if your having
    > problems with it. Now if your having problems with spyware and viruses,
    > there are several free program that you can use to scan your computer and
    > rid yourself of such critters. If you need any recommendations I can help as
    > for I do computer repair work as a part-time job out of my home, and I'm
    > within months of being A+, MCSE, and Network certified.

    And some of the regs to this group have had those certs and many more
    for years. One nefarious (sorry Plato) reg is the owner/creator of the
    website you mention. Not to discourage you, you're doing fine. But to
    educate you and nudge you in the right direction.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 21, 2006