    --
    deet

    , Dec 29, 2007

  2. Old Codger Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have been posing this query on many search engines. So far the
    > replies have cited sites which have anything to do with Win 98 SE,
    > printers, computers, etc. But I can get no specific answer to my
    > question. I know Win 98 SE is no longer supported, but there must be
    > some info on older operating systems which would apply to my
    > question.

    Doubt you will find many printer manufacturers still providing drivers
    for win 98 but the operating system will contain generic drivers for
    most, if not all, of the printers current when the OS was released.

    If you have a printer installed select that printer then select
    properties, update driver (or similar). You will find a list of
    manufacturers and, for each manufacturer, a list of the printers
    supported. You can almost certainly get to the same lists through the
    "add printer" wizard.

    HTH

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Dec 29, 2007

  3. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > Hi:
    >
    > I have been posing this query on many search engines. So
    > far the replies have cited sites which have anything to do
    > with Win 98 SE, printers, computers, etc. But I can get no
    > specific answer to my question. I know Win 98 SE is no
    > longer supported, but there must be some info on older
    > operating systems which would apply to my question.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > deet

    The only way to compile such a list would be to go through ALL
    manuf's web sites and read ALL the sys req info on ALL the
    models.

    Googling MIGHT help if you include the "98SE" characters.

    Even then, a lot of hardware /not/ stating it's 98 let alone 95
    compatible /may be/ but it's not mentioned because of the "no
    longer supported" shit. And vice versa, BTW, as many find out.

    Either way, it's hours of work. Why should someone do it for
    you?

    I myself run 95B and 98 I have a 10 year old HP laser printer.
    It is quite compatible and all that anyone could need for a home
    printer.

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.

    thanatoid, Dec 29, 2007
  4. Bob B Guest

    Any older printer will work on 98SE ...go for an Epson 760, 740, 660 etc as
    the compatible cartridges only cost between £1 and £2... can be found on
    Ebay
    BB

    Bob B, Dec 29, 2007
  5. why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:11:42 -0500, wrote:

    >Hi:
    >
    >I have been posing this query on many search engines. So far the
    >replies have cited sites which have anything to do with Win 98 SE,
    >printers, computers, etc. But I can get no specific answer to my
    >question. I know Win 98 SE is no longer supported, but there must be
    >some info on older operating systems which would apply to my
    >question.

    Pick a printer, check manufacturer site for driver.

    Or look on a Win98(CS) floppy / CD, maybe www.google.com
    for
    windows 98se hardware compatibility
    or (assuming 98SE has CAB files, am not going looking for my CD of it)
    Go through the motions of Add Printer, and browse the CD/floppy for the
    printer CAB and see the makes/models available bu defailt with 98SE.

    You may even be able to find a CAB viewer utility or use the command
    line extract for getting at the contents of the CAB file.

    Me

    why?, Dec 29, 2007
  6. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in news::

    > Hi:
    >
    > I have been posing this query on many search engines. So far the
    > replies have cited sites which have anything to do with Win 98 SE,
    > printers, computers, etc. But I can get no specific answer to my
    > question. I know Win 98 SE is no longer supported, but there must be
    > some info on older operating systems which would apply to my
    > question.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > deet

    Start up the add new hardware wizard in control panel, but when it gets
    to the search for non-plug and play hardware, select "NO", then next,
    scroll down to printer click on it, click next, select local printer,
    click next and highlight the manufacturer you want. Note unless you are
    doing graphics, any printer will work as manufacturer generic/text only
    on a parallel port (usb works differently - it auto detects the
    printer).

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 29, 2007
  7. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have been posing this query on many search engines. So far the
    > replies have cited sites which have anything to do with Win 98 SE,
    > printers, computers, etc. But I can get no specific answer to my
    > question. I know Win 98 SE is no longer supported, but there must be
    > some info on older operating systems which would apply to my
    > question.

    Do it the other way round.
    See what printer drivers are available, by going to
    www.google.com, and typing in `win98 printer drivers`.

    Then see if any printers fall into that category.

    meerkat, Dec 29, 2007
  8. richard Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:11:42 -0500, wrote:

    >Hi:
    >
    >I have been posing this query on many search engines. So far the
    >replies have cited sites which have anything to do with Win 98 SE,
    >printers, computers, etc. But I can get no specific answer to my
    >question. I know Win 98 SE is no longer supported, but there must be
    >some info on older operating systems which would apply to my
    >question.
    >
    >TIA
    > --
    > deet

    From what I've seen, the newer printers have switched in favor of USB
    rather than parallel ports. As long as you use the parallel port, it
    should work fine. Given you have the proper driver for it.

    Contact the manufacturer if need be for the driver. They should still
    have them around.

    You should be able to find a suitable driver from the 98SE CD.

    richard, Dec 29, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:29:56 +0000, Old Codger
    <> wrote:

    >Doubt you will find many printer manufacturers still providing drivers
    >for win 98 but the operating system will contain generic drivers for
    >most, if not all, of the printers current when the OS was released.
    >
    >If you have a printer installed select that printer then select
    >properties, update driver (or similar). You will find a list of
    >manufacturers and, for each manufacturer, a list of the printers
    >supported. You can almost certainly get to the same lists through the
    >"add printer" wizard.

    Hi:

    I do have a working Lexmark Inkjet printer now, but it is quite old,
    so I want to be ready to replace it, when necessary. I have been
    requesting driver updates, so I am current there. So now I will take
    your advice and search each manufacturers site for the info I need.

    Thanks a lot.

    --
    Deet

    , Dec 29, 2007
  10. Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:39:12 +0100 (CET), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Start up the add new hardware wizard in control panel, but when it gets
    >to the search for non-plug and play hardware, select "NO", then next,
    >scroll down to printer click on it, click next, select local printer,
    >click next and highlight the manufacturer you want. Note unless you are
    >doing graphics, any printer will work as manufacturer generic/text only
    >on a parallel port (usb works differently - it auto detects the
    >printer).

    Unfortunately, I used to do a lot of graphic work before my Lexmark
    just wouldn't handle color printing anymore. Text is great, and
    outline only graphics work is fine, --but its getting close to
    "replacement" time.

    Thanks for your advice.

    --
    d eet

    , Dec 29, 2007
  11. elaich Guest

    wrote in news::

    > I know Win 98 SE is no longer supported, but there must be
    > some info on older operating systems which would apply to my
    > question.

    I don't recommend this site much any more, because now they force you to
    accept spam emails in order to register. driverguide.com has a huge
    repository of drivers for all sorts of devices. Be sure to use a throwaway
    email address to register, because you will have to agree to accept a lot
    of spam in order to do so.

    elaich, Dec 29, 2007
  12. why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:11:42 -0500, wrote:

    Not found this yet? It should/may be on the CD/floppy.

    https://winqual.microsoft.com/download/hcl/Win98HCL.txt
    Hardware Compatibility List
    Windows 98
    08/05/2004
    ---------------------------
    <snip> the 6.3MB that follow

    >Hi:
    >
    >I have been posing this query on many search engines. So far the
    >replies have cited sites which have anything to do with Win 98 SE,
    >printers, computers, etc. But I can get no specific answer to my

    Try harder :)

    Search MS http://support.microsoft.com it's often mentioned for a MS
    product try the MS support.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131900/en-us
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    • Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    • Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
    • Microsoft Windows 95

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 29, 2007
  13. thanatoid Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:11:42 -0500, wrote:
    >
    > Not found this yet? It should/may be on the CD/floppy.
    >
    > https://winqual.microsoft.com/download/hcl/Win98HCL.txt
    > Hardware Compatibility List
    > Windows 98
    > 08/05/2004
    > ---------------------------
    > <snip> the 6.3MB that follow

    Wow. Amazing that MS actually bothered. Still, I wonder just how
    accurate it is. Of course, unless the OP can find a printer made
    before this document was finalized (08/05/2004) he'll be SOL.

    (Please excuse the tone of most of the rest of this reply. THIS
    /is/ a very useful link.)

    >>Hi:
    >>
    >>I have been posing this query on many search engines. So
    >>far the replies have cited sites which have anything to do
    >>with Win 98 SE, printers, computers, etc. But I can get no
    >>specific answer to my

    > Try harder :)
    >
    > Search MS http://support.microsoft.com it's often mentioned
    > for a MS product try the MS support.

    > APPLIES TO
    > • Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    > • Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    > • Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
    > • Microsoft Windows 95

    Have you even READ that page? It has hardly ANYTHING to do with
    the OP's question. It just talks about installing drivers you
    have.

    It DID lead me to a rather amusing (and even more relevant page
    - it states that it only applies to Windows Server 2008, Windows
    Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP) which contained a
    link to something I will DL and read when I need a good laugh:

    "Windows Update Logic for Offering a Driver"

    BTW, I just LOVE the way MS makes their knowledge base easily
    searchable:

    There's a translation/dictionary of all these "common" search
    expressions somewhere to be DL'd, but it's been a WHILE since I
    bothered to get any info from any MS sites.

    thanatoid, Dec 30, 2007
  14. thanatoid Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:11:42 -0500, wrote:
    >>
    >> Not found this yet? It should/may be on the CD/floppy.
    >>
    >> https://winqual.microsoft.com/download/hcl/Win98HCL.txt
    >> Hardware Compatibility List
    >> Windows 98
    >> 08/05/2004
    >> ---------------------------
    >> <snip> the 6.3MB that follow

    > Wow. Amazing that MS actually bothered. Still, I wonder
    > just how accurate it is.

    Not terribly, it seems. I have a Colorado 250 MB (*M*B) tape
    drive and a Compaq EVO 510 (first runs on the second, and the
    second runs 98SE), both made before 08/05/2004 and they do not
    appear on the list.

    Still, nice to see MS included every monitor ever made (just
    guessing) in case someone wasn't sure whether their monitor
    would work. Oh well, we always knew what MS thinks of their
    customers intelligence level... Spider monkey, was it, Bill?

    <SNIP>

    thanatoid, Dec 30, 2007
  15. Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote:

    >Still, nice to see MS included every monitor ever made (just
    >guessing) in case someone wasn't sure whether their monitor
    >would work. Oh well, we always knew what MS thinks of their
    >customers intelligence level... Spider monkey, was it, Bill?

    I gotta 22 inch LCD for christmas, it claims to be vista compatible,
    first thing I thought was "well freaking DUH".

    --

    Leaf your glasses behind?
    http://krampf.com/experiments/Science_Experiment37.html

    , Dec 30, 2007
  16. why? Guest

    On 30 Dec 2007 06:44:32 GMT, thanatoid wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:11:42 -0500, wrote:
    >>
    >> Not found this yet? It should/may be on the CD/floppy.
    >>
    >> https://winqual.microsoft.com/download/hcl/Win98HCL.txt
    >> Hardware Compatibility List
    >> Windows 98
    >> 08/05/2004
    >> ---------------------------
    >> <snip> the 6.3MB that follow

    >Wow. Amazing that MS actually bothered. Still, I wonder just how
    >accurate it is. Of course, unless the OP can find a printer made
    >before this document was finalized (08/05/2004) he'll be SOL.

    <snip>

    >> APPLIES TO
    >> • Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    >> • Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    >> • Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
    >> • Microsoft Windows 95

    >Have you even READ that page? It has hardly ANYTHING to do with
    >the OP's question. It just talks about installing drivers you
    >have.

    No that's for the OP to do.

    I don't see that I would need to read it.

    The search hit was

    windows hcl
    or
    windows hardware 98 compatability

    just trying the search again, here it is

    Windows Hardware Compatibility List
    The Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) contains a list of
    computer ... Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition. •, Microsoft Windows
    98 Standard Edition ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131900 - Similar pages

    >It DID lead me to a rather amusing (and even more relevant page
    >- it states that it only applies to Windows Server 2008, Windows
    >Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP) which contained a
    >link to something I will DL and read when I need a good laugh:

    Quite a few documents do that, a lot have been changed to remove old OS
    links and articles are rewritten for the post XP era.

    >"Windows Update Logic for Offering a Driver"
    >
    >BTW, I just LOVE the way MS makes their knowledge base easily
    >searchable:

    >There's a translation/dictionary of all these "common" search
    >expressions somewhere to be DL'd, but it's been a WHILE since I
    >bothered to get any info from any MS sites.

    It's on the my Technet somewhere, hopefully bookmarked.

    Me

    why?, Dec 30, 2007
  17. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have been posing this query on many search engines. So far the
    > replies have cited sites which have anything to do with Win 98 SE,
    > printers, computers, etc. But I can get no specific answer to my
    > question. I know Win 98 SE is no longer supported, but there must be
    > some info on older operating systems which would apply to my
    > question.

    The answer is the same as it was last time you posted the question.
    Many manufacturers still support 98se on at least some of their models.

    Go to the printer manufacturers website, pick out several models, then
    look at the support pages on the same site to see whether 98se drivers
    can be downloaded.

    From memory the last time I looked after your last posting, 98 drivers
    were available for the mid range printers from several manufacturers.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 31, 2007