    for quality that should be avoided, especially among the major, well-
    known ones? Any efforts to help will be greatly appreciated - thanks,
    as always.

    Trash Fish, Aug 4, 2008

  2. Trash Fish

    Paul Guest

    Trash Fish wrote:
    > I need to get a new LCD monitor at a low price (less than $160) & in a
    > small size (at least 14" but no more than a few inches larger). Can
    > anyone recommend the best brands for quality, especially among the
    > major, well-known ones? Also, can anyone let us know the worst brands
    > for quality that should be avoided, especially among the major, well-
    > known ones? Any efforts to help will be greatly appreciated - thanks,
    > as always.

    Have you read the reviews on Newegg ? You can learn just about everything
    you need to know, that way. Price, whether units have bad pixels, whether
    they die after three weeks and so on.

    15.6" for $135 1366 x 768 (weird resolution - like a "1024x768 with wings")
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824155057

    16" for $140 1366 x 768 (weird resolution) Acer brand (but likely made
    by the same company as made the previous one). No speakers.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009132

    There are a lot more 17" diagonal monitors, both wide screen and regular
    4:3 or 5:4 kinds of ratios. But I expect those are too big for your physical
    dimensions. There are about 7 models that are close to meeting the $160 figure.

    The viewing angle spec is important, and the two small monitors above have
    relatively poor viewing angle. This can mean a color shift from edge to
    edge, even when your head is centered in front of the monitor. Some of the
    17" monitors do a little better on viewing angle.

    This one is a 17", with a 5:4 resolution (1280x1024), same as I'm sitting
    in front of right now. Viewing angle is 176 degrees both vertical and
    horizontal (doesn't get much better than that). That means the colors should
    remain constant up to the edge of the monitor. (But it doesn't say anything
    about backlight bleed, and for that, you need customer comments. There are
    no customer reviews for this model yet.) The contrast ratio is 2000:1, but
    that is a sign of a "fake" contrast ratio. What screens like that do, is
    dim the backlight, to give a blacker black. Which is not at all what you'd
    want, when working in Photoshop. What you want in a case like that, is
    an item in the OSD (on screen display menu), to disable the high contrast
    ratio. A more normal ratio is somewhere between 500:1 and 1000:1. Once
    they get over 1000, chances are there are some games being played
    with the backlight.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009136

    The response time is largely irrelevant, in the sense that they changed
    the way response time is measured, making it almost useless at determining
    the actual behavior of the monitor.

    Also, before you buy, review what connectors are on the monitor, and what
    connectors are on your video card. Nothing more embarrassing, than having
    a VGA video card (15 pin) and buying a DVI-D (digital only) monitor. Make
    sure the connectors match, whatever you decide on.

    Hope that helps,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 4, 2008