    connect? Is it going to be complicated? I'll have one PC upstairs and the
    other one downstairs so I'll need wireless, right? Is there instructions in
    the box? Any advise is welcome. Thanks. --Theresa
    Theresa, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Theresa

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:14:29 GMT, Theresa wrote:
    > We're having tax free days at the end of the month and it's time to get a
    > second PC. I've got Mediacom cable broadband and an old eMachine that
    > doesn't have an ethernet card. I did searches but the web pages are so
    > techie. Does anybody know what I need to connect two PCs to cable? Some kind
    > of Linksys router and a USB adapter for the ethernet card? How does it
    > connect? Is it going to be complicated? I'll have one PC upstairs and the
    > other one downstairs so I'll need wireless, right? Is there instructions in
    > the box? Any advise is welcome. Thanks. --Theresa

    Here are a few refs:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    It depends on what functionality you want. Here's one (inexpensive)
    example for wireless.

    You're going have to get a little 'techie' about it because the subject
    is sorta 'techie'.

    --
    We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
    one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.
    Jimchip, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Theresa

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:29:29 -0000, Jimchip wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:14:29 GMT, Theresa wrote:
    >> We're having tax free days at the end of the month and it's time to get a
    >> second PC. I've got Mediacom cable broadband and an old eMachine that
    >> doesn't have an ethernet card. I did searches but the web pages are so
    >> techie. Does anybody know what I need to connect two PCs to cable? Some kind
    >> of Linksys router and a USB adapter for the ethernet card? How does it
    >> connect? Is it going to be complicated? I'll have one PC upstairs and the
    >> other one downstairs so I'll need wireless, right? Is there instructions in
    >> the box? Any advise is welcome. Thanks. --Theresa

    > Here are a few refs:
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > http://www.wown.com/
    > http://smallnetbuilder.com/
    >
    > It depends on what functionality you want. Here's one (inexpensive)
    > example for wireless.

    I meant to put in the ref:
    http://www.80211-planet.com/reviews/AP/article.php/1479351

    Jimchip, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Go to Best Buy or Staples and tell the store clerk what you want to do. They
    have all the stuff.

    BananaPannaPoe, Jul 13, 2003
  5. Theresa

    Blue Guest

    Get a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router and a Wireless USB network adapter
    for your second PC. Definately go for Linksys as the Belkin 54g range seems
    to cause loads of problems. The Linksys is pretty straightforward to setup
    so don't worry about it being too difficult, the only other thing that
    you'll need is one more CAT5 network cable to go from the router to the
    first pc.

    Amazon.co.uk has a pretty good deal on the two Linksys products at the
    moment if you want them fast and they're cheaper than at Dabs right now.

    Blue, Jul 13, 2003