    mention something about not being able to download AVIs without the
    Canon software or something like that. Has anyone been able to
    successfully download AVIs from Canon SD using a flash card reader?
    Bucky, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Bucky

    Bob Williams Guest

    Bucky wrote:

    > I lost my USB cable to connect the Canon SD200 to my PC. I'm debating
    > whether to get a replacement USB cable or just a flash card reader. Two
    > questions;
    >
    > 1. Is it a Canon proprietary cable? Or is it standard (the end that
    > connects to the camera)?
    >
    > 2. My main concern is about being able to download AVIs. When I put put
    > the SD200 flash card into an HP camera and tried to download, the JPEGs
    > downloaded fine, but it could not download the AVIs. The manual did
    > mention something about not being able to download AVIs without the
    > Canon software or something like that. Has anyone been able to
    > successfully download AVIs from Canon SD using a flash card reader?

    Count your blessings that you lost the Canon USB/PC cable.
    Do yourself a BIG favor and get a USB2 card reader.
    They are very cheap and very reliable.
    A 9-in-1 reader shouldn't cost more than $10-12 USD.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Apr 30, 2006

  3. Bucky

    Mark² Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > I lost my USB cable to connect the Canon SD200 to my PC. I'm debating
    > whether to get a replacement USB cable or just a flash card reader.
    > Two questions;
    >
    > 1. Is it a Canon proprietary cable? Or is it standard (the end that
    > connects to the camera)?
    >
    > 2. My main concern is about being able to download AVIs. When I put
    > put the SD200 flash card into an HP camera and tried to download, the
    > JPEGs downloaded fine, but it could not download the AVIs. The manual
    > did mention something about not being able to download AVIs without
    > the Canon software or something like that. Has anyone been able to
    > successfully download AVIs from Canon SD using a flash card reader?

    Most Canons have a standard mini USB connection on the camera.

    I can use the same plug in my Epson P2000, my SanDisk card reader, and
    various other USB devices that have a mini USB plug.
    Mark², Apr 30, 2006
  4. Bucky

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Bucky <> wrote:
    >I lost my USB cable to connect the Canon SD200 to my PC. I'm debating
    >whether to get a replacement USB cable or just a flash card reader. Two
    >questions;

    >1. Is it a Canon proprietary cable? Or is it standard (the end that
    >connects to the camera)?

    >2. My main concern is about being able to download AVIs. When I put put
    >the SD200 flash card into an HP camera and tried to download, the JPEGs
    >downloaded fine, but it could not download the AVIs. The manual did
    >mention something about not being able to download AVIs without the
    >Canon software or something like that. Has anyone been able to
    >successfully download AVIs from Canon SD using a flash card reader?

    I have an SD450 and have no trouble at all downloading
    either stills or movies using a flash card reader.

    Further, the flash card reader seems faster than doing
    a transfer from the camera.

    ----- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Bucky wrote:
    > I lost my USB cable to connect the Canon SD200 to my PC. I'm debating
    > whether to get a replacement USB cable or just a flash card reader. Two
    > questions;
    >
    > 1. Is it a Canon proprietary cable? Or is it standard (the end that
    > connects to the camera)?
    >
    > 2. My main concern is about being able to download AVIs. When I put put
    > the SD200 flash card into an HP camera and tried to download, the JPEGs
    > downloaded fine, but it could not download the AVIs. The manual did
    > mention something about not being able to download AVIs without the
    > Canon software or something like that. Has anyone been able to
    > successfully download AVIs from Canon SD using a flash card reader?

    Use a card reader. If your camera battery gets low during camera
    transfer via USB cable, you can lose some or all your images.

    Morton
    Morton Linder, May 1, 2006
  6. Bucky

    Bucky Guest

    Thanks for everyone's inputs. Sounds like there's no issue with
    downloading AVIs with a flash card reader, so I'll just go for that.
    Bucky, May 1, 2006