    Hi Im looking to buy a quiet but fast digital camera and see that the d70 is silent(ish)

    I really dont want to get a d70 as its only 6MP and also about to probaby get replaced

    Do you think that nikons dslrs are generally quieter that canons? if so then that might be the reason to wait for the d200?

    david jones, Mar 3, 2005

  2. david jones

    Ryan Robbins Guest

    "david jones" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I really dont want to get a d70 as its only 6MP and also about to probaby
    >get replaced

    Posting in HTML is not kosher.

    But anyway, what is wrong with 6 megapixels? Unless you plan to make huge
    enlargements, there really isn't much of a difference between a 6-megapixel
    image and an 8-megapixel image.

    Ryan Robbins, Mar 3, 2005

  3. david jones

    Nick Beard Guest

    My D70 returns perfect 20x16 prints on fuji paper. You dont need any more
    than 6mp the cameras above this are just for hype. (8800 et al) Any
    body who really needs more will choose the 12mp D2x. God knows how big that
    can blow up too. I used to be told that wet photography equated to 11mp, now
    that would give an absolute huge and unmanageble picture that would have to
    be reduced in MP's or DPI. I would say go and read a little more on the
    subject and then you'll find out for yourself.

    Nick Beard, Mar 3, 2005
  4. david jones

    david jones Guest

    Every pixel counts as far as im concerned. Im worried Im going to be forced out buying
    a second hand11MP 1Ds as its too loud and have to buy a D200 at 10MP.

    But then i have to wait the months (years?) for the D200

    david jones, Mar 3, 2005
  5. david jones

    Nick Beard Guest

    Think youre gonna wait a while for a replacement on the d70. Is is still
    selling like hot cakes by the truck load.

    Maybe the D2X is what you need if you have deep pockets :)

    Canon have a similar offering , deep pockets required also :)

    Nick Beard, Mar 3, 2005
  6. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:57:33 GMT, "Ryan Robbins"
    <> wrote:

    >"david jones" <> wrote in message
    >>I really dont want to get a d70 as its only 6MP and also about to probaby
    >>get replaced

    >Posting in HTML is not kosher.
    >
    >But anyway, what is wrong with 6 megapixels? Unless you plan to make huge
    >enlargements, there really isn't much of a difference between a 6-megapixel
    >image and an 8-megapixel image.

    Even if you do plan to make huge enlargements, there isn't that much of
    a difference. You're talking about the difference between, say,
    50 pixels/cm and 57 - you'd have to look fairly closely to see the
    difference.

    --
    Stephen Poley

    Stephen Poley, Mar 3, 2005
  7. david jones

    Piemanlager Guest

    "david jones" <> wrote in message news:...
    Hi Im looking to buy a quiet but fast digital camera and see that the d70 is silent(ish)

    I really dont want to get a d70 as its only 6MP and also about to probaby get replaced

    Do you think that nikons dslrs are generally quieter that canons? if so then that might be the reason to wait for the d200?

    Why do you need a silent camera?

    Piemanlager, Mar 3, 2005
  8. david jones

    Sheldon Guest

    "Ryan Robbins" <> wrote in message
    > "david jones" <> wrote in message
    >>I really dont want to get a d70 as its only 6MP and also about to probaby
    >>get replaced

    > Posting in HTML is not kosher.
    >
    > But anyway, what is wrong with 6 megapixels? Unless you plan to make huge
    > enlargements, there really isn't much of a difference between a
    > 6-megapixel image and an 8-megapixel image.

    It's not hard to imitate a 16x20 print. Just take your image, that you
    would make an 8x10 print from, and crop it down to 1/4. That would be the
    equivalent of of a 16x20 print. I've done this with my D70, and with a few
    tweaks to deal with a bit of noise and sharpness, I've been very pleased.
    You have to take each camera on a one by one basis, regardless of pixel
    count. Some cameras with less pixels will produce much better looking
    enlargments than cameras with more pixels. Has more to do with the image
    sensor and noise than pixel count, although you can't ignore pixel count,
    IMHO.

    As for quiet. I can't think of any DSLR that is absolutely quiet. Compared
    to other cameras I've heard, the D70 has a very "smooth" quality sound to
    it, but it's not what I would call "quiet."

    Sheldon, Mar 3, 2005
  9. david jones

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "david jones" <> wrote:

    > Hi Im looking to buy a quiet but fast digital camera and see that the d70 is
    > silent(ish)
    >
    > I really dont want to get a d70 as its only 6MP and also about to probaby get
    > replaced
    >
    > Do you think that nikons dslrs are generally quieter that canons? if so then
    > that might be the reason to wait for the d200?

    Is this for church photography, or simply photographing 'candidly'
    without the subject being aware? Or what?

    For the former, I'd advise foregoing the removable lens and concentrate
    of cameras like the Panasonic FZ20 or Fuji S7000, both are 'silent' - no
    mirror, no sensor cover.
    For the latter, a small unobtrusive camera like the KYOCERA Finecam
    SL400R which has a rotating lens - shooting from the waist is possible.
    There are others like this, I'm sure.

    Stewy, Mar 4, 2005
  10. david jones

    DaveC Guest

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:37:02 -0800, Stewy wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Is this for church photography, or simply photographing 'candidly'
    > without the subject being aware? Or what?

    Yes, David, we are curious. What is the "silent" requirement for?

    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC, Mar 4, 2005