    need to purchase a good wide angle lense...probably 16-24mm or
    something. I am also looking for suggestions for a good macro lens
    (any size). Thanks in advance.
    verlbate, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Thor Henning Wegener, Sep 9, 2003

  3. verlbate

    Stuart Guest

    I have been very pleased at the good performance of my Sigma 15-30mm EX
    lens. The Canon equivalent is also excellent were in not for the price !!

    Stuart, Sep 9, 2003
  4. verlbate

    RustY© Guest

    "verlbate" <> wrote in message
    > need to purchase a good wide angle lense...probably 16-24mm or
    > something.

    Buy Canon lenses. Even an old second hand Canon will show better results
    than a Sigma. You may even find that a couple of wide angle prime lenses
    are a better bet than a zoom but of course if a zoom is more flexible for
    what you do then you must weigh up the trade off.

    --
    For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
    RustY©, Sep 9, 2003
  5. verlbate

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Buy Canon lenses. Even an old second hand Canon will show better results
    > than a Sigma.

    That is completely inaccurate information. Yes, Sigma makes some crappy
    lenses, but the 15-30 is a great lens. No, it isn't the quality of the
    16-35 or the 17-40 but it's also about 1/3 the price.

    The Sigma 50-500 also gives great results. I was very surprised about
    this one myself...

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 9, 2003
  6. > > Buy Canon lenses. Even an old second hand Canon will show better results
    > > than a Sigma.

    He's right.

    > That is completely inaccurate information. Yes, Sigma makes some crappy
    > lenses, but the 15-30 is a great lens. No, it isn't the quality of the
    > 16-35 or the 17-40 but it's also about 1/3 the price.
    >
    > The Sigma 50-500 also gives great results. I was very surprised about
    > this one myself...

    You're wrong.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 9, 2003
  7. verlbate

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Todd Walker wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Buy Canon lenses. Even an old second hand Canon will show better results
    >> than a Sigma.
    >>

    > That is completely inaccurate information. Yes, Sigma makes some crappy
    > lenses, but the 15-30 is a great lens. No, it isn't the quality of the
    > 16-35 or the 17-40 but it's also about 1/3 the price.

    I'm going to agree here..

    I shoot long most of the time.. My long lenses are all Canon L series. Since I
    *rarely* shoot wide, I couldn't justify the cost of the 16-35L. I did want a
    wide lens in my kit 'just in case' so I bought the Sigma 15-30. (Out of six
    lenses, the 15-30 is my only non Canon lens).

    I can't comment on how long it will last.. I can say it's much noisier when it
    focuses.. Much.. Much.. noiser than the Canon USM lenses.

    But that aside.. It takes very sharp, bright pictures. I have *no* complaints
    about the optical quality of the lens.

    I don't know how long the Sigma will last before it fails, but I bought mine 2
    months ago and apart from the intital 'try out' shots, I think I've used it
    twice. I'm not worried at all about wearing it out :)

    It's just there for the very odd time I need it... And it fills the bill quite
    nicely. If I was a serious wide shooter, I definitley would have bought the
    16-35 Canon L lens.
    Jim Townsend, Sep 9, 2003
  8. verlbate

    David Adner Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:
    > I shoot long most of the time.. My long lenses are all Canon L series. Since I
    > *rarely* shoot wide, I couldn't justify the cost of the 16-35L. I did want a
    > wide lens in my kit 'just in case' so I bought the Sigma 15-30. (Out of six
    > lenses, the 15-30 is my only non Canon lens).

    I like to shoot long most of the time, too, especially for wildlife.
    I'm curious what you have in your kit for this.
    David Adner, Sep 9, 2003
  9. verlbate

    MarkH Guest

    Todd Walker <> wrote in

    > That is completely inaccurate information. Yes, Sigma makes some
    > crappy lenses, but the 15-30 is a great lens. No, it isn't the quality
    > of the 16-35 or the 17-40 but it's also about 1/3 the price.

    I had my eye on the Sigma 15-30 for a wide lens on my 10D, but here in NZ
    the Sigma is about 2/3 the price of the Canon 17-40L. I think I’ll look to
    getting the Canon as it’s a better lens with a useful zoom range and not
    too much dearer.

    To be honest I’d rather go with Canon if the quality is better and the
    price difference isn’t staggering. Even if I have to save for a bit longer
    to get the lens I want.

    When I was looking at the Sigma 15-30 it was before the Canon 17-40L was
    announced and I wasn’t willing to pay the price of the Canon 16-35L. I use
    longer zooms more and the 16-35 is too much cost for the amount that I
    would use it.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Sep 10, 2003
  10. verlbate

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bjm2di$ffb$>, says...
    > I had my eye on the Sigma 15-30 for a wide lens on my 10D, but here in NZ
    > the Sigma is about 2/3 the price of the Canon 17-40L. I think I’ll look to
    > getting the Canon as it’s a better lens with a useful zoom range and not
    > too much dearer.

    It's about the same here -- around $550 vs. $800. If I were buying one,
    I would pay the extra for the Canon as well. I was just making a point
    that not all Sigma lenses are crap.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 10, 2003
  11. verlbate

    Don Guest

    Todd

    do you have the 50 - 500 Sigma on your 10D. If so, any issues at the 500
    end?

    regards

    Don

    Don, Sep 10, 2003
  12. verlbate

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <xED7b.92556$>,
    says...
    > Todd
    >
    > do you have the 50 - 500 Sigma on your 10D. If so, any issues at the 500
    > end?
    >
    > regards

    No I don't. I have considered it but I really don't need that much reach
    so my next lens will be the 70-200L.

    --
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 10, 2003