    out there (not laptop PC) that I can dump the pictures from the xD card to
    it when the card is full. I plan to take more than 240 pictures on a trip.

    Would something like an iPod can do this?

    TP, Jan 3, 2005

  2. There are a number of these gizmos on the market now - basically battery
    powered hard drives with a small LCD screen and a card slot. For an
    overview take a look at:

    http://www.offrench.net/photos/articles/portable_storage_devices.php

    Paul

    Paul Chefurka, Jan 3, 2005

  3. TP

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "TP" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have an Olympus 5M camera (forget the model) with a 256M xD card. With
    > the HQ resolution setting, 1 picture is a little more than 1M. So with my
    > 256M card, I can take around 240 pictures. I wonder if there is any
    > device
    > out there (not laptop PC) that I can dump the pictures from the xD card to
    > it when the card is full. I plan to take more than 240 pictures on a
    > trip.
    >
    > Would something like an iPod can do this?

    Consider the price of a storage device, and its capacity against the price
    of an equivalent number of xd cards. The cards require no power and take up
    virtually no space.

    Rudy Benner, Jan 3, 2005
  4. TP

    TP Guest

    Thanks all for the info. Yep, these devices are very pricey.

    TP, Jan 3, 2005
  5. TP

    tomcas Guest

    TP wrote:
    > Thanks all for the info. Yep, these devices are very pricey.

    I don't think they are that pricey, especially if you happen to have an
    old small laptop drive kicking around collecting dust. For instance, if
    you had a 20 gig drive and you popped it into one of these devices that
    Newegg has for $75 you could store quite a bit. Realistically, the only
    time I could see using one is if I was shooting a lot of video with my
    digital camera and I didn't want to lug the laptop with me.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-163-502&depa=0

    tomcas, Jan 4, 2005
  6. TP

    Michael Dee Guest

    Sometimes the best way to go is just to buy more flash cards. There are
    battery/ac powered devices that you can buy, like a portable hard drive type
    gizmo but then you have to tend and watch out for that all the time. Not to
    mention it's much easier to carry a few flash cards then small portable hard
    drives all over the place.

    Michael Dee, Jan 4, 2005
  7. TP

    stewy Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have an Olympus 5M camera (forget the model) with a 256M xD card. With
    > the HQ resolution setting, 1 picture is a little more than 1M. So with my
    > 256M card, I can take around 240 pictures. I wonder if there is any device
    > out there (not laptop PC) that I can dump the pictures from the xD card to
    > it when the card is full. I plan to take more than 240 pictures on a trip.
    >
    > Would something like an iPod can do this?

    There was a thread a few days ago on the same subject.

    I use an Apacer Disc Steno which weighs in at 950 grams including the case
    and recharge unit.
    While you can't review the pictures on the Apacer, (you should do that in
    the camera) you can keep adding files to the CDR until it's full.

    There are pricey little hard-drives which do the same thing (some with a
    review screen) but these devices tend to be used just for vacations and sit
    around in a drawer for the rest of the year. With the Apacer you can use
    this as an external CDR burner or simply a CD-ROM drive - the built-in CD
    drives of my old PC and laptop have both ceased to work and I often use the
    Apacer with these machines.

    If you use an iPod you'll need the Apple transfer device/card reader which
    is bigger than the iPod!

    So, think how many pictures you're likely to take. If the Apacer (around
    $250) doesn't feel too expensive get that, but you may find a cheaper
    alternative in buying more xD cards, but these are tiny things and it is
    possible to lose them if you're constantly switching them.
    Also 1mb images on a 5 megapixel camera seem highly compressed - there may
    be a Fine setting or maybe you're not using the camera at 5 mpxls. (my Sony
    S-70 is 3mpxl and yields files around 1.4mb)

    stewy, Jan 4, 2005