Need Starting point for choosing P&S digital

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gobias Industries, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. I want to purchase a P&S Digital camera for my wife for Christmas and I am
    looking for some direction.

    I have researched my own DSLR purchase to death, and when I start comparing
    P&S digital I am simply overwhelmed. Each manufacturer has tens of
    choices... where to start !?

    I am hoping to draw on your expertise... given my needs, can anyone offer a
    few cameras as a starting point for my research.

    Basic Needs:

    - wide angle is more important than telephoto (hoping for at least 35mm,
    35equivalent)
    - my wife is used to using our Olympus Stylus 35-70 for the past 4 years
    - most shots are indoors of our kids (hence the desire for wider
    flexibility)... so faster aperture allowing shots without flash (or low
    noise high iso)
    - LAG TIME is quite important. need a camera that takes a picture when I
    press the shutter
    - price approx 200-400 USD

    Looking for some starting points..

    thanks in advance

    Gobias Industries, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Gobias Industries

    bob Guest

    "Gobias Industries" <> wrote in

    > - wide angle is more important than telephoto (hoping for at least
    > 35mm, 35equivalent)
    > - my wife is used to using our Olympus Stylus 35-70 for the past 4
    > years - most shots are indoors of our kids (hence the desire for wider
    > flexibility)... so faster aperture allowing shots without flash (or
    > low noise high iso)

    Maybe an Olympus Stylus digital?

    > - LAG TIME is quite important. need a camera that takes a picture when
    > I press the shutter
    > - price approx 200-400 USD

    No lag will be a challenge. If no one has any no lag suggestions, you can
    check dpreview.com. They have lag stats for all the reviews. My camera has
    a lot of lag, and I end up shooting a lot of photos in hopes of getting a
    good one. That's something I miss about my film camera.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Gobias Industries

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:44:17 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gobias Industries"
    <> wrote:

    >I want to purchase a P&S Digital camera for my wife for Christmas and I am
    >looking for some direction.
    >
    >I have researched my own DSLR purchase to death, and when I start comparing
    >P&S digital I am simply overwhelmed. Each manufacturer has tens of
    >choices... where to start !?
    >
    >I am hoping to draw on your expertise... given my needs, can anyone offer a
    >few cameras as a starting point for my research.
    >
    >Basic Needs:
    >
    >- wide angle is more important than telephoto (hoping for at least 35mm,
    >35equivalent)
    >- my wife is used to using our Olympus Stylus 35-70 for the past 4 years
    >- most shots are indoors of our kids (hence the desire for wider
    >flexibility)... so faster aperture allowing shots without flash (or low
    >noise high iso)
    >- LAG TIME is quite important. need a camera that takes a picture when I
    >press the shutter
    >- price approx 200-400 USD
    >
    >Looking for some starting points..

    The tool at http://www.dpreview.com can help you narrow your choices for a