Need some info from computer knowledgeable people who had or have aHP notebook

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GeneCook2008@gmail.com, Apr 5, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi folks,

    I have a computer and the adapter from the regular power outlet in the
    wall into the computer broke. You know what I mean: that thing that
    you use to charge the battery and that thing (modem?) that provides
    regular power to your computer

    It doesn't say exactly what it is but on the back side it says REPLACE
    WITH HP SPARE 402018-001.

    I called HP and they told me that it costs me approx. USD 170, which
    is an outrageous price for that little thing, if you ask me.

    I was at Wallmart lately and saw that they have different kind of
    adapters but I have no clue if other adapters fit in a HP notebook.

    And here is my question:

    Did any of you ever had to replace this particular HP spare part and
    did you replace it with something else than from HP and how did it
    work?

    Thanks in advance for your advice.

    Best regards,

    Gene
    , Apr 5, 2008

  2. M.L. Guest

    Re: Need some info from computer knowledgeable people who had or have a HP notebook

    >> I have a computer and the adapter from the regular power outlet in
    >> the
    >> wall into the computer broke. You know what I mean: that thing that
    >> you use to charge the battery and that thing (modem?) that provides
    >> regular power to your computer
    >>
    >> It doesn't say exactly what it is but on the back side it says
    >> REPLACE
    >> WITH HP SPARE 402018-001.
    >>
    >> I called HP and they told me that it costs me approx. USD 170, which
    >> is an outrageous price for that little thing, if you ask me.
    >>
    >> I was at Wallmart lately and saw that they have different kind of
    >> adapters but I have no clue if other adapters fit in a HP notebook.
    >>
    >> And here is my question:
    >>
    >> Did any of you ever had to replace this particular HP spare part and
    >> did you replace it with something else than from HP and how did it
    >> work?

    > There are generic third party power adapters available that may suit
    > your Laptop.
    > However to use one of these you need to ensure the specifications
    > match your Laptop's requirements.

    > Mr Arnold pointed you to at least one site that appears to have the
    > genuine article at a much better price.
    > http://www.impactcomputers.com/402018-001.html

    Costs $19.99 here, but don't know reliability of merchant.
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?masterid=63809780&lot_id=8302077
    M.L., Apr 6, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Apr 5, 7:17 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi folks,

    > > I have a computer and the adapter from the regular power outlet in the
    > > wall into the computer broke. You know what I mean: that thing that
    > > you use to charge the battery and that thing (modem?) that provides
    > > regular power to your computer

    > > It doesn't say exactly what it is but on the back side it says REPLACE
    > > WITH HP SPARE 402018-001.

    > > I called HP and they told me that it costs me approx. USD 170, which
    > > is an outrageous price for that little thing, if you ask me.

    > > I was at Wallmart lately and saw that they have different kind of
    > > adapters but I have no clue if other adapters fit in a HP notebook.

    > > And here is my question:

    > > Did any of you ever had to replace this particular HP spare part and
    > > did you replace it with something else than from HP and how did it
    > > work?

    > > Thanks in advance for your advice.

    > > Best regards,

    > > Gene

    > Gene
    >
    > There are generic third party power adapters available that may suit your
    > Laptop.
    > However to use one of these you need to ensure the specifications match your
    > Laptop's requirements.
    > Respectfully the description in your first paragraph suggests you do not
    > have the skills to ascertain the suitability of these generic third party
    > power supplies for you Laptop.
    >
    > Therefore you either stump up for the genuine part knowing it will work.
    > or
    > You take your laptop and power supply to a suitably qualified person who can
    > advise you if a generic third party supply will be suitable.
    >
    > Mr Arnold pointed you to at least one site that appears to have the genuine
    > article at a much better price.http://www.impactcomputers.com/402018-001.html
    >
    > Best.

    Thanks, yes, I am not a computer literate but I got my answer. Thanks
    a lot!

    Gene
    , Apr 6, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Apr 5, 8:43 pm, "M.L." <> wrote:
    > >> I have a computer and the adapter from the regular power outlet in
    > >> the
    > >> wall into the computer broke. You know what I mean: that thing that
    > >> you use to charge the battery and that thing (modem?) that provides
    > >> regular power to your computer

    > >> It doesn't say exactly what it is but on the back side it says
    > >> REPLACE
    > >> WITH HP SPARE 402018-001.

    > >> I called HP and they told me that it costs me approx. USD 170, which
    > >> is an outrageous price for that little thing, if you ask me.

    > >> I was at Wallmart lately and saw that they have different kind of
    > >> adapters but I have no clue if other adapters fit in a HP notebook.

    > >> And here is my question:

    > >> Did any of you ever had to replace this particular HP spare part and
    > >> did you replace it with something else than from HP and how did it
    > >> work?

    > > There are generic third party power adapters available that may suit
    > > your Laptop.
    > > However to use one of these you need to ensure the specifications
    > > match your Laptop's requirements.
    > > Mr Arnold pointed you to at least one site that appears to have the
    > > genuine article at a much better price.
    > >http://www.impactcomputers.com/402018-001.html

    > Costs $19.99 here, but don't know reliability of merchant.http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?masterid=63809780&...

    That is even better!