    So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks

    Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..

    Thanks
    Geronimo, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Geronimo

    TEX Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > A friend has a stack of digital Pic to back up, I warned him not to use his
    > hard drives for this..
    >
    > His camera has just ticked over the 10,000 mark.
    >

    > So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >

    > Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..
    >

    > Thanks

    To be honest the best DVD Blanks I have found have been the Princo. Even
    though the CDR's of the same brand have been shit, the DVDR have been
    brill. Never had a problem with them. They will also write at 8x with
    hacked bios without probs. Although the only ones I seem to buy are the
    DVD-R, but I have yet to have a problem reading them in anything from
    xboxs/dvd players/dvd drives etc. They are fully printable too...

    TEX
    TEX, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Geronimo

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:57:13 +1300, TEX <> had this to
    say:
    >> So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >>

    >> Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..

    >To be honest the best DVD Blanks I have found have been the Princo. Even
    >though the CDR's of the same brand have been shit, the DVDR have been
    >brill. Never had a problem with them. They will also write at 8x with
    >hacked bios without probs. Although the only ones I seem to buy are the
    >DVD-R, but I have yet to have a problem reading them in anything from
    >xboxs/dvd players/dvd drives etc. They are fully printable too...

    I'll second that.

    The Princo discs are excellent.

    I've also never had a fault with their CDRs. I know they have two
    types, and we've always gone for the better ones.
    Gurble, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Geronimo

    cowboyz Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:57:13 +1300, TEX <> had this to
    > say:
    >>> So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >>>

    >>> Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..

    >> To be honest the best DVD Blanks I have found have been the Princo.
    >> Even though the CDR's of the same brand have been shit, the DVDR
    >> have been brill. Never had a problem with them. They will also write
    >> at 8x with hacked bios without probs. Although the only ones I seem
    >> to buy are the DVD-R, but I have yet to have a problem reading them
    >> in anything from xboxs/dvd players/dvd drives etc. They are fully
    >> printable too...
    >>

    > I'll second that.
    >
    > The Princo discs are excellent.

    Until Woger uses them and then they will be crap TM.

    cowboyz, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Geronimo said the following on 12/11/2004 20:12:

    > A friend has a stack of digital Pic to back up, I warned him not to use his
    > hard drives for this..
    >
    > His camera has just ticked over the 10,000 mark.
    >

    > So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >

    > Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..
    >

    > Thanks

    I am no purist, so I use what I can get, so long as they do the job they
    are okay for me.
    I get spindles of 50 Laser brand DVD-r from PBBTECH these are printable
    and the brand is actually identified as SKC. Price, well thats the nice
    part $31.50 for 50. They have not let me down and seem to have excellent
    compatibility when played in domestic DVD players.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 13, 2004
  6. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:11:32 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Geronimo said the following on 12/11/2004 20:12:
    >>
    >> A friend has a stack of digital Pic to back up, I warned him not to use his
    >> hard drives for this..
    >>
    >> His camera has just ticked over the 10,000 mark.
    >>

    >> So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >>

    >> Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >I am no purist, so I use what I can get, so long as they do the job they
    >are okay for me.
    >I get spindles of 50 Laser brand DVD-r from PBBTECH these are printable
    >and the brand is actually identified as SKC. Price, well thats the nice
    >part $31.50 for 50. They have not let me down and seem to have excellent
    >compatibility when played in domestic DVD players.

    Sorry must have a life time guarantee, I did suggest none Crap brand I
    thought.
    Geronimo, Nov 13, 2004
  7. Geronimo

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:00:17 +1300, Geronimo <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:11:32 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Geronimo said the following on 12/11/2004 20:12:
    >>>
    >>> A friend has a stack of digital Pic to back up, I warned him not to use his
    >>> hard drives for this..
    >>>
    >>> His camera has just ticked over the 10,000 mark.
    >>>

    >>> So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >>>

    >>> Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>I am no purist, so I use what I can get, so long as they do the job they
    >>are okay for me.
    >>I get spindles of 50 Laser brand DVD-r from PBBTECH these are printable
    >>and the brand is actually identified as SKC. Price, well thats the nice
    >>part $31.50 for 50. They have not let me down and seem to have excellent
    >>compatibility when played in domestic DVD players.

    >Sorry must have a life time guarantee, I did suggest none Crap brand I
    >thought.

    www.blankcd.co.nz

    www.ascent.co.nz

    I'm sure there are lots of others.
    Craig Shore, Nov 13, 2004
  8. On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:02:55 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:57:13 +1300, TEX <> had this to
    >say:
    >>> So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >>>

    >>> Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..

    >>To be honest the best DVD Blanks I have found have been the Princo. Even
    >>though the CDR's of the same brand have been shit, the DVDR have been
    >>brill. Never had a problem with them. They will also write at 8x with
    >>hacked bios without probs. Although the only ones I seem to buy are the
    >>DVD-R, but I have yet to have a problem reading them in anything from
    >>xboxs/dvd players/dvd drives etc. They are fully printable too...
    >>

    >I'll second that.
    >
    >The Princo discs are excellent.
    >
    >I've also never had a fault with their CDRs. I know they have two
    >types, and we've always gone for the better ones.

    But NOT DVD+R

    Robert Mathews, Nov 13, 2004
  9. On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:50:29 +1300, Robert Mathews <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:02:55 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:57:13 +1300, TEX <> had this to
    >>say:

    >>>To be honest the best DVD Blanks I have found have been the Princo. Even
    >>>though the CDR's of the same brand have been shit, the DVDR have been
    >>>brill. Never had a problem with them. They will also write at 8x with
    >>>hacked bios without probs. Although the only ones I seem to buy are the
    >>>DVD-R, but I have yet to have a problem reading them in anything from
    >>>xboxs/dvd players/dvd drives etc. They are fully printable too...
    >>>

    >>I'll second that.
    >>
    >>The Princo discs are excellent.
    >>
    >>I've also never had a fault with their CDRs. I know they have two
    >>types, and we've always gone for the better ones.

    > But NOT DVD+R

    Read the man's message.

    Then read the previous message. The one he was replying to.

    Read them a second time.

    Then read them again.

    Now go back and do the same thing all over again.

    With any sort of luck you might begin to understand what the men said by
    the sixth time through.

    Moooooooooooooooo!

    [This message was typed very slowly]
    ..
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 13, 2004
  10. "Geronimo" <> wrote in message

    > A friend has a stack of digital Pic to back up, I warned him not to use
    > his
    > hard drives for this..
    >
    > His camera has just ticked over the 10,000 mark.
    >

    > So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >

    > Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..
    >

    > Thanks

    Why did you warn not to use harddrives? I would think a backup across
    several HDD's to be pretty effective.

    Personally would be apprehensive to use DVD's as a sole backup means,as it
    does not take too much bad handling to knock one out of action - especially
    DVD+RW's but +R's seem to be a little better.

    I would still backup to DVD+R, but this would be under the premise, that
    the more copies I have (within reason), the less likely I will lose my data.
    Jed Meisterdude, Nov 13, 2004
  11. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:23:00 +1300, "Jed Meisterdude"
    <> wrote:

    >"Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> A friend has a stack of digital Pic to back up, I warned him not to use
    >> his
    >> hard drives for this..
    >>
    >> His camera has just ticked over the 10,000 mark.
    >>

    >> So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >>

    >> Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >Why did you warn not to use harddrives? I would think a backup across
    >several HDD's to be pretty effective.

    HDD do not last a 100years like CDR's can and may be Verbatim DVD Plus
    disks..

    There is one brand of CDR's that have a 300 year life span, used to back up
    digital pictures, I have the info on them..

    Geronimo, Nov 13, 2004
  12. Geronimo

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:34:03 +1300, Geronimo
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:23:00 +1300, "Jed Meisterdude"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> A friend has a stack of digital Pic to back up, I warned him not to use
    >>> his
    >>> hard drives for this..
    >>>
    >>> His camera has just ticked over the 10,000 mark.
    >>>

    >>> So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >>>

    >>> Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>Why did you warn not to use harddrives? I would think a backup across
    >>several HDD's to be pretty effective.

    >HDD do not last a 100years like CDR's can and may be Verbatim DVD Plus
    >disks..
    >
    >There is one brand of CDR's that have a 300 year life span, used to back up
    >digital pictures, I have the info on them..

    Really?

    Lets have a quick show of hands........ anyone been around long
    enough to verify the claims of 100-year or 300-year lifespan?

    LOL, there's a sucker born every minute.......

    /Begin Sig
    Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
    Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf :)
    Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
    /End Sig
    Ryan Jacobs, Nov 13, 2004
  13. Geronimo

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:07:59 +1300, Ryan Jacobs <> wrote:

    >Really?
    >
    >Lets have a quick show of hands........ anyone been around long
    >enough to verify the claims of 100-year or 300-year lifespan?
    >
    >LOL, there's a sucker born every minute.......

    And even if they did, what the hell would you use to read them?
    Craig Shore, Nov 14, 2004
  14. Geronimo

    Kent Smith Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > Gurble wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:57:13 +1300, TEX <> had this to
    >> say:

    >>> To be honest the best DVD Blanks I have found have been the Princo.
    >>> Even though the CDR's of the same brand have been shit, the DVDR
    >>> have been brill. Never had a problem with them. They will also write
    >>> at 8x with hacked bios without probs. Although the only ones I seem
    >>> to buy are the DVD-R, but I have yet to have a problem reading them
    >>> in anything from xboxs/dvd players/dvd drives etc. They are fully
    >>> printable too...
    >>>

    >> I'll second that.
    >>
    >> The Princo discs are excellent.
    >>

    > Until Woger uses them and then they will be crap TM.

    He only uses DVD-RAM. :)

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Nov 15, 2004
  15. Geronimo

    Phillip Guest

    "Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:23:00 +1300, "Jed Meisterdude"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> A friend has a stack of digital Pic to back up, I warned him not to
    >>> use
    >>> his
    >>> hard drives for this..
    >>>
    >>> His camera has just ticked over the 10,000 mark.
    >>>

    >>> So who is doing spindles of good DVD +R blanks
    >>>

    >>> Like RICOH or Verbatim Plus or even Imation.,..
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>Why did you warn not to use harddrives? I would think a backup across
    >>several HDD's to be pretty effective.

    > HDD do not last a 100years like CDR's can and may be Verbatim DVD Plus
    > disks..
    >
    > There is one brand of CDR's that have a 300 year life span, used to back
    > up
    > digital pictures, I have the info on them..
    >

    >>Personally would be apprehensive to use DVD's as a sole backup means,as it
    >>does not take too much bad handling to knock one out of action -
    >>especially
    >>DVD+RW's but +R's seem to be a little better.
    >>
    >>I would still backup to DVD+R, but this would be under the premise, that
    >>the more copies I have (within reason), the less likely I will lose my
    >>data.

    Good DVD+R (or -R) discs might be read well by everything, etc. The
    important thing for you is their lifespan. I've found writing CDs at slower
    speeds means they last longer, also temperature where they are stored, etc.

    Found a website once that rated DVD writer performance which showed writing
    at 2 speed ment less errors on the disc. I would recommend you find a site
    that has rated life expectancy rather than peoples feedback about their
    short term experience of media.

    Also writing multiple backup copies (of the same data) all at once on the
    same media in my view opens you up to creating the same problems on each
    copy. Maybe a bad batch of media, poor writing because of the drive,...
    Placing some in different places (even a different city) could be a good
    idea also.

    As I understand it the only DVD format with error detection/correction is
    DVD-RAM although DVD+R has provision for it in the standard (for the
    future?).

    I'm interetsed in what you decide to use, as I am unsure myself.
    Phillip, Nov 16, 2004
  16. In article <wZqmd.2893$> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    Nov 2004 06:41:45 +1300, Phillip <> says...

    > "Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:23:00 +1300, "Jed Meisterdude"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>"Geronimo" <> wrote in message

    > >>Why did you warn not to use harddrives? I would think a backup across
    > >>several HDD's to be pretty effective.

    > > HDD do not last a 100years like CDR's can and may be Verbatim DVD Plus
    > > disks..
    > >
    > > There is one brand of CDR's that have a 300 year life span, used to back
    > > up
    > > digital pictures, I have the info on them..
    > >

    > >>Personally would be apprehensive to use DVD's as a sole backup means,as it
    > >>does not take too much bad handling to knock one out of action -
    > >>especially
    > >>DVD+RW's but +R's seem to be a little better.
    > >>
    > >>I would still backup to DVD+R, but this would be under the premise, that
    > >>the more copies I have (within reason), the less likely I will lose my
    > >>data.
    > >>

    > Good DVD+R (or -R) discs might be read well by everything, etc. The
    > important thing for you is their lifespan. I've found writing CDs at slower
    > speeds means they last longer, also temperature where they are stored, etc.

    Personally I have heard all the stories, yet I have also had some well
    rated CDs fail after being stored (Verbatim/Mitsubishi blue azo).

    The claims of 100 years etc are based on laboratory simulations, the
    medium has not been around long enough to sustain such claims in practice
    and there will always be the odd faulty disk. I have only had 1 or 2 CDRs
    fail but there was also the Verbatim datalifeplus CDRW disk that only
    lasted 6 months and is now unreadable or rewritable, these are supposed
    to be reusable over a large number of read/write cycles.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 16, 2004
  17. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:42:26 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <wZqmd.2893$> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    >Nov 2004 06:41:45 +1300, Phillip <> says...
    >>
    >> "Geronimo" <> wrote in message

    >> > HDD do not last a 100years like CDR's can and may be Verbatim DVD Plus
    >> > disks..
    >> >
    >> > There is one brand of CDR's that have a 300 year life span, used to back
    >> > up
    >> > digital pictures, I have the info on them..

    >> Good DVD+R (or -R) discs might be read well by everything, etc. The
    >> important thing for you is their lifespan. I've found writing CDs at slower
    >> speeds means they last longer, also temperature where they are stored, etc.

    >Personally I have heard all the stories, yet I have also had some well
    >rated CDs fail after being stored (Verbatim/Mitsubishi blue azo).
    >
    >The claims of 100 years etc are based on laboratory simulations, the
    >medium has not been around long enough to sustain such claims in practice
    >and there will always be the odd faulty disk. I have only had 1 or 2 CDRs
    >fail but there was also the Verbatim datalifeplus CDRW disk that only
    >lasted 6 months and is now unreadable or rewritable, these are supposed
    >to be reusable over a large number of read/write cycles.

    No One in his right mind would take notice of any thing you say, I have proven
    you so wrong more times than I have had hot dinners..

    Robert Mathews, Nov 16, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:32:46 +1300, Robert Mathews <>
    says...
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:42:26 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <wZqmd.2893$> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    > >Nov 2004 06:41:45 +1300, Phillip <> says...
    > >>
    > >> "Geronimo" <> wrote in message

    > >> Good DVD+R (or -R) discs might be read well by everything, etc. The
    > >> important thing for you is their lifespan. I've found writing CDs at slower
    > >> speeds means they last longer, also temperature where they are stored, etc.

    > >Personally I have heard all the stories, yet I have also had some well
    > >rated CDs fail after being stored (Verbatim/Mitsubishi blue azo).
    > >
    > >The claims of 100 years etc are based on laboratory simulations, the
    > >medium has not been around long enough to sustain such claims in practice
    > >and there will always be the odd faulty disk. I have only had 1 or 2 CDRs
    > >fail but there was also the Verbatim datalifeplus CDRW disk that only
    > >lasted 6 months and is now unreadable or rewritable, these are supposed
    > >to be reusable over a large number of read/write cycles.
    > >

    > No One in his right mind would take notice of any thing you say, I have proven
    > you so wrong more times than I have had hot dinners..

    Ah, is that the reason that you say such strange things here, that you
    have been malnourished for decades
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 16, 2004
  19. > Ah, is that the reason that you say such strange things here, that you
    > have been malnourished for decades

    Remember though is this is from a guy who got purchased a motherboard
    without knowing what he was doing !

    As always, Woger does make for a good laugh when reading his exploits
    about "never his fault" XP/Epson/HP/DVD/LCD/video
    card/insert_appropriate_item_here problems.

    Amazingly, if all this gear was so broken, how come the thousands (and
    sometimes millions) of other people who also use the same gear don't
    have the same problem? Except for 3 obscure people scattered around the
    globe ?

    hahahaha
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 16, 2004
  20. Geronimo

    Nick Brooker Guest

    Aren't DVD-RAMs supposed to last 25 years plus?

    Also they are RAM, rather than just rewritable like +/-RW so you can use
    them like giant floppies :)

    Nick

    Nick Brooker, Nov 23, 2004