    or is it recommended to obtain some of them as part of
    MSDN membership? Any advice much appreciated.

    Thanks, Jay

    James Bousquet, Sep 29, 2003

  2. James Bousquet

    emg Guest

    I'm surprised your book didn't come with the CD containing the eval edition
    of .NET - - ususally good for 60 or 90 days. Not optimal, but if you're
    really strapped for cash . . .

    VS.Net will install on older operating systems (Windows 2000 should be
    fine) but the text of the book assumes the admin tools are the XP Pro
    version - - you can probably work around this it's just that the book won't
    exactly match your system.

    I typically buy an MSDN subscription once every couple years - - it's
    awfully expensive to renew each year. However I use not just Visual Studio
    but some of the OS licenses as well in my home lab.

    Typically to qualify for student licensing you have to purchase from some
    school - - like a local community college. You can't just say "Hey, I'm
    learning this so I'm a student".

    "James Bousquet" <> wrote in message
    I have a BS in computer science and have been a software
    developer for 10 yrs, sometimes in MS shop, sometimes
    not. For the first time I find myself "between jobs" and
    the notion of MCSD certification on the resume sounds
    good. But I will be working from home, of course. My
    question is, what is the best way to secure software tools
    necessary to use self-paced teaching modules. I bought
    MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web
    Applications with Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and
    Microsoft Visual C#® .NET, Second Edition
    It tells me that I need XPpro and Visual.NET software...Am
    I eligible for student pricing? Are these software
    products best bought separately at best available price,

    emg, Sep 30, 2003

  3. James Bousquet

    Jay Guest

    Thanks very much - The book does have a CD - Duh - it
    never occurred to me to look there - don't have much
    experience with MS giving stuff away - but I'll check it
    out.

    Jay, Sep 30, 2003
  4. James Bousquet

    .merlin Guest

    "don't have much experience with MS giving stuff away "

    lol ; )

    .merlin, Oct 7, 2003