Need some advice and opinions

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by MJBrown, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. MJBrown

    MJBrown Guest

    My situation currently (and this is long...):

    I have been in Helpdesk/Customer Support for about 6 years now and at a IT helpdesk (supported employees of AOL/Netscape) for the last 2 of those 6 years. I have a total of about 10 years experience in PC's and OS's. I have some experience in networking/system admin and alot of experience in PC Support for both hardware and software. I can build a system (very easy, I think), troubleshoot any PC (and Mac) issue and able to resolve said issue.

    I was thinking of going for MCSE certs but I have noticed that allot of those with MCSE certs are paid less (compared to programming) or just unemployed or is this the same on both sides of the fence? (Oh, also not counting the bad economy). There also seems to be allot of "paper" MCSE's that have really ruined the credibility of the MCSE cert and ruined its appeal to me. I also don't like helpdesk work anymore, I don't like talking to people on the phone and I would much rather deal with a computer and its issues then another person's issues with the computer.

    Because of this I was thinking of pursuing a change of career into programming and was looking at the MCSD cert to have something to show that I know what im doing. The issue is, I have no current experience in programming like I do in hardware/networking.

    I was wondering if I would be able to get the books, study for the tests and get the MCSD cert with no experience in the software programming side of things?

    Would I know enough to get at least an entry-level job doing something to get more experience?

    I was also wondering if there is an in between that would be good for my situation that delves into networking/system admin and programming?

    If I go for the change into programming, the MCSD.net splits the languages up into Visual Basic .net and Visual C# .net.

    I was wondering which of the two would be better for me to start out with taking into account that I would be learning from scratch?

    Would Java or J# be a good starting point and if so, which one or both?

    Would I or should I need to know the older programming languages (like C/C++, Java, ect) or can I just jump into C# .net or VB .net?

    Thanks for any advice

    Mike
    MJBrown, Nov 5, 2003

  2. I would say that if you are serious about the programming path then definately head down that way. Sorry that I can't help you out with what to do in terms of programming. Not really my area although I have a lot of respect for programmers ( the ones who are sociable anyway...lol).

    If you like sys admin better then I would stay where you are and try and advance from the helpdesk. Surely your company must have opportunities for advancement to those dedicated and loyal enough. In that instance, pursuing the MCSE cert would be relevant and perhaps even valuable to your job.

    As for "paper MCSE's", I wouldn't worry about it. If you have the experience to back your cert you will be OK. There are always going to be people certified in any area that probably shouldn't be. This doesn't only apply to MS certs but just about everywhere in life. It doesn't matter, only if you let it. That is a HR problem at interview time or a management problem in the workplace.

    Anyway take care.

    Karl \Johnno\ Gustaf, Nov 5, 2003

  3. MJBrown

    Jtyc Guest

    Jtyc, Nov 5, 2003
  4. MJBrown

    Rick Guest

    I think there is an in between, it would be a MCDBA. It certainly would be a
    good starting point to get you feet wet. Most business programs have some
    sort of database interaction so you would be learning marketable skills.
    MCDBA also requires one OS test which could go toward a MCSE or MCSA
    certification.

    Personally I am two test from finishing my MCSE security and I am looking at
    going for the MCDBA. We don't currently use MS SQL server but I do support
    another enterprise Database. It seems like the people who are the most
    marketable are those that can cross the lines and wear two hats. However
    this also lends itself to abuse if you get a job in a sweat shop.

    hope this helps
    Rick, Nov 5, 2003
  5. MJBrown

    |{evin Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:28:13 -0800, "MJBrown"
    <> wrote:

    >My situation currently (and this is long...):

    Yes, it is... twice as long as it should be actually. HTML posts are
    what we like to call a 'Bad Idea'.
    |{evin, Nov 6, 2003
  6. MJBrown

    pastypies Guest

    I think getting into the programming field would be a little harder to do at the start, but would pay off in the long run.

    As for a programming language I would go with Java because it is not tied to a specific vendor such as Microsoft. What is more Java runs on loads more platforms then say VB,. There are even games for mobile phones written in Java. I'm no programming expert but it would seem that Java is just more universal and widely used.

    pastypies, Nov 6, 2003
  7. MJBrown

    BS_WTF-123 Guest

    What everybody seems to be forgetting is that programming and
    development jobs are being exported to India. There have been
    numerous articles about this phenomenon. It is fairly easy to export
    a programming job to India or elsehwere. However, it is a bit harder
    to export your Network Administrator to India when your infrastructure
    is in Houston, Texas.

    I'd go MCSE and see what opportunities you can find at your current
    company.

    BS_WTF-123, Nov 12, 2003
  8. BS_WTF-123 wrote:
    > What everybody seems to be forgetting is that programming and
    > development jobs are being exported to India. There have been
    > numerous articles about this phenomenon. It is fairly easy to export
    > a programming job to India or elsehwere. However, it is a bit harder
    > to export your Network Administrator to India when your infrastructure
    > is in Houston, Texas.

    Is that why all the "Ok" buttons in my apps have been replaced with "Kindly
    Do The Needful?"

    --
    Fris "Cancel now says Kick Dog" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Nov 12, 2003
  9. MJBrown

    JaR Guest

    "Frisbee® MCNGP" <> wrote in message
    > Is that why all the "Ok" buttons in my apps have been replaced with

    "Kindly
    > Do The Needful?"
    >
    > --
    > Fris "Cancel now says Kick Dog" bee® MCNGP #13

    Error now is: 'You try to confuse!'

    JaR
    JaR, Nov 12, 2003