Need Software Tool In Order To Monitor Total Download/Upload Volume

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I have a term contract with my ISP, Sympatico.ca, whereby I can download
    and/or upload a combined total of 60 GB per 30 days.

    Anything beyond 60 GB results in additional charges.

    The customer service rep informed me that the software tool that Sympatico
    provides to clients does not report in real time; its stats are usually up
    to 48 hours late.

    I would like to obtain a *real-time* reporting tool, either on my desktop or
    in my sys tray, so that I can see my volume usage as it occurs, and the
    total to date per period specified.

    If it's relevant, my OS is XP Pro SP2, and my browser is IE 7.

    Thanks.

    Martin

    Martin, Mar 11, 2009

  2. Martin

    thanatoid Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a term contract with my ISP, Sympatico.ca, whereby I
    > can download and/or upload a combined total of 60 GB per 30
    > days.
    >
    > Anything beyond 60 GB results in additional charges.
    >
    > The customer service rep informed me that the software tool
    > that Sympatico provides to clients does not report in real
    > time; its stats are usually up to 48 hours late.
    >
    > I would like to obtain a *real-time* reporting tool, either
    > on my desktop or in my sys tray, so that I can see my
    > volume usage as it occurs, and the total to date per period
    > specified.
    >
    > If it's relevant, my OS is XP Pro SP2, and my browser is IE
    > 7.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Martin

    There are quite a few tools which monitor and log your time on
    the internet, amount of material uploaded and downloaded, etc.
    I suggest you go to a major software site and look under
    internet utilities.

    You might also consider a premium Usenet server. Usenet Rocket
    and Astraweb (and possibly others) offer pay-as you go plans
    which are extremely flexible and reasonably priced.

    I have no experience with sympatico (except hating the idiotic
    name) but judging by the general world internet provider trends,
    their Usenet service's days are numbered.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)

    thanatoid, Mar 11, 2009

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    To preclude any confusion, my 60 GB limit involves *everything* uploaded and
    downloaded, not just NG posts.

    That being the case, I don't understand your reference to pay-as-you-go
    Usenet servers.
    Were I to use one of them, wouldn't my usage still count towards the 60 GB
    limit?

    With respect to "Sympatico" as the name of my ISP, it's due to Canada being
    an officially bilingual country.

    With both English- and French-speaking clients, the ISP needed a name that
    would be equally English and French, or neither English or French. It chose
    the latter, which is
    essentially a nonsense word.

    Go figure!

    Martin

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    : "Martin" <> wrote in
    : news:iEHtl.29908$1.easynews.com:
    :
    : > Hello,
    : >
[...]
    : --

    Martin, Mar 11, 2009
  4. Martin

    Keyser Söze Guest

    http://www.netlimiter.com/

    --
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to
    an understanding of ourselves. Jung

    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Mar 11, 2009