    BTW, the DVDr is a Panasonic DMR-E80H. My PC has a DVD burner.

    --
    Bob D.

    Bob D., Jan 9, 2005

  2. Bob D.

    P Pron Guest

    Bob D. wrote:
    > What PC software would be good for mixing VOBs from various DVDr's
    > (make on my DVD recorder) to a single DVDr. I would like the menu to
    > retain the program names from the original discs. In other words, I
    > would like to take TV shows I've recorded on different discs, and
    > make new discs with a different program mix.
    >
    > (The Roxio software that came with my burner looked like it would do
    > what I want, but it can't handle the Dolby AC3 sound.)
    >
    > BTW, the DVDr is a Panasonic DMR-E80H. My PC has a DVD burner.

    It's quite a laborious process (I've never done it with more than 2 discs,
    using this method) but it can be done with DVDShrink - see guide at
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm

    You'd lose the menus, though.

    Have you confirmed that your existing software _definitely_ doesn't do the
    job? I use TMPGenc DVD Author, which also doesn't support AC3. But in
    practice all this means is that I can't listen to the soundtrack while I'm
    chaptering the DVD - the soundtrack is still there, though, and the authored
    disc plays fine, complete with AC3 sound.

    paul

    P Pron, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Bob D.

    Bob D. Guest

    I guess I didn't explain, what I want to do, very well. I don't need to
    shrink anything. I'm just want to reorganize what I have recorded. I.E.- I
    have epsodes of the Simpsons recorded among other shows on different discs.
    (Each one is a VOB and the episodes are titled in the menu.) I'd like to
    create new discs with all the Simpsons together (not necessarily all on the
    same disc). I just want to copy VOBs from different discs to make a new
    disc. I looked at "TMPGenc DVD Author" but it sounds like it can only merge
    VOBs together, and doesn't have any menu capability.

    --
    Bob D.

    Bob D., Jan 10, 2005
  4. Bob D.

    P Pron Guest

    Bob D. wrote:
    > "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    >> Bob D. wrote:
    >>> What PC software would be good for mixing VOBs from various DVDr's
    >>> (make on my DVD recorder) to a single DVDr. I would like the menu to
    >>> retain the program names from the original discs. In other words, I
    >>> would like to take TV shows I've recorded on different discs, and
    >>> make new discs with a different program mix.
    >>>
    >>> (The Roxio software that came with my burner looked like it would do
    >>> what I want, but it can't handle the Dolby AC3 sound.)
    >>>
    >>> BTW, the DVDr is a Panasonic DMR-E80H. My PC has a DVD burner.

    >> It's quite a laborious process (I've never done it with more than 2
    >> discs, using this method) but it can be done with DVDShrink - see
    >> guide at http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm
    >>
    >> You'd lose the menus, though.
    >>
    >> Have you confirmed that your existing software _definitely_ doesn't
    >> do the job? I use TMPGenc DVD Author, which also doesn't support
    >> AC3. But in practice all this means is that I can't listen to the
    >> soundtrack while I'm chaptering the DVD - the soundtrack is still
    >> there, though, and the authored disc plays fine, complete with AC3
    >> sound. paul

    > I guess I didn't explain, what I want to do, very well. I don't need
    > to shrink anything. I'm just want to reorganize what I have recorded.
    > I.E.- I have epsodes of the Simpsons recorded among other shows on
    > different discs. (Each one is a VOB and the episodes are titled in
    > the menu.) I'd like to create new discs with all the Simpsons
    > together (not necessarily all on the same disc). I just want to copy
    > VOBs from different discs to make a new disc. I looked at "TMPGenc
    > DVD Author" but it sounds like it can only merge VOBs together, and
    > doesn't have any menu capability.

    You don't have to shrink with DVDShrink - you can use it to reauthor discs
    without further compression, selecting the titles you want from each disc.
    But (as you will have seen after reading the guide I posted the link to) you
    need to copy all but one of the discs to your HD in order to achieve this.

    And TMPGenc DVD Author certainly _does_ produce menus, by default. I know,
    because I don't use menus on home-burned discs, and therefore have to
    specifically select "no menu" every time I use the program. If you know of a
    version of TMPGenc DVD Author that doesn't do menus, I'd like to know where
    to get it.

    But now that you've explained that each episode is a separate VOB, you
    should be able to simply rename them with an MPG suffix (after copying to
    your HD), choose which files you want, then author them as a DVD using
    your usual software.

    But I can't think of any way of doing what you have in mind while keeping
    the original menus.

    paul

    P Pron, Jan 10, 2005
  5. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:43:44 -0000, "P Pron"
    <> wrote:

    >Bob D. wrote:
    >> "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> It's quite a laborious process (I've never done it with more than 2
    >>> discs, using this method) but it can be done with DVDShrink - see
    >>> guide at http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm
    >>>
    >>> You'd lose the menus, though.
    >>>
    >>> Have you confirmed that your existing software _definitely_ doesn't
    >>> do the job? I use TMPGenc DVD Author, which also doesn't support
    >>> AC3. But in practice all this means is that I can't listen to the
    >>> soundtrack while I'm chaptering the DVD - the soundtrack is still
    >>> there, though, and the authored disc plays fine, complete with AC3
    >>> sound. paul

    >> I guess I didn't explain, what I want to do, very well. I don't need
    >> to shrink anything. I'm just want to reorganize what I have recorded.
    >> I.E.- I have epsodes of the Simpsons recorded among other shows on
    >> different discs. (Each one is a VOB and the episodes are titled in
    >> the menu.) I'd like to create new discs with all the Simpsons
    >> together (not necessarily all on the same disc). I just want to copy
    >> VOBs from different discs to make a new disc. I looked at "TMPGenc
    >> DVD Author" but it sounds like it can only merge VOBs together, and
    >> doesn't have any menu capability.
    >>

    >You don't have to shrink with DVDShrink - you can use it to reauthor discs
    >without further compression, selecting the titles you want from each disc.
    >But (as you will have seen after reading the guide I posted the link to) you
    >need to copy all but one of the discs to your HD in order to achieve this.
    >
    >And TMPGenc DVD Author certainly _does_ produce menus, by default. I know,
    >because I don't use menus on home-burned discs, and therefore have to
    >specifically select "no menu" every time I use the program. If you know of a
    >version of TMPGenc DVD Author that doesn't do menus, I'd like to know where
    >to get it.
    >
    >But now that you've explained that each episode is a separate VOB, you
    >should be able to simply rename them with an MPG suffix (after copying to
    >your HD), choose which files you want, then author them as a DVD using
    >your usual software.
    >
    >But I can't think of any way of doing what you have in mind while keeping
    >the original menus.
    >
    >paul

    The easiest way by far is DVDlab. It will take Vobs directly as the
    mpeg source and these can be put on the movie timelines, - and after
    authoring, adding menus, an easy matter in itself, DVDlab will create
    a new DVD without rerendering, just a 10 minute compile. As a plus
    DVDlab handles SVCD and creates a DVD480 DVD using the D1 project
    parameters. Again without rerendering. This will play properly on over
    90% of players.

    http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 11, 2005