Need sliwshow software to automatically show photos and play sounds

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Thumper, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    My father-in-law is interested in voice labelling all the photos he
    plans on taking on an upcoming trip. He will see a lot of stuff and he
    wants to remember what everything was that he saw.

    Windows XP slideshow will only display the photos in your folder. But
    he'd like the slideshow to play any WAV files "associated" with those
    photos -- that is, the audio clip that he added to the photo at the
    time.

    *** Is there any software that will do this? ***

    I checked Ulead CD & DVD Picture Show and it lets you easily build a
    slideshow and associate sound files to picture files. It is perfect
    for me, but too advanced for this 60-something user.

    I need software where you can dump all the photos and audio and press
    Start Slideshow. Suggestions?

    Thumper, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Thumper

    Mark M Guest

    "Thumper" <> wrote in message
    > My father-in-law is interested in voice labelling all the photos he
    > plans on taking on an upcoming trip. He will see a lot of stuff and he
    > wants to remember what everything was that he saw.
    >
    > Windows XP slideshow will only display the photos in your folder. But
    > he'd like the slideshow to play any WAV files "associated" with those
    > photos -- that is, the audio clip that he added to the photo at the
    > time.
    >
    > *** Is there any software that will do this? ***
    >
    > I checked Ulead CD & DVD Picture Show and it lets you easily build a
    > slideshow and associate sound files to picture files. It is perfect
    > for me, but too advanced for this 60-something user.
    >
    > I need software where you can dump all the photos and audio and press
    > Start Slideshow. Suggestions?

    ACDSee 6 will let you do that.
    You can add audio annotation to image files, which will play back during a
    slide show (which run automatically from any folder you like).

    www.acdsystems.com

    Mark M, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Thumper

    Ralph Guest

    MyAlbum does that. Their demo files include an example.
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply
    <>...

    Ralph, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    > ACDSee 6 will let you do that.
    > You can add audio annotation to image files, which will play back during a
    > slide show (which run automatically from any folder you like).
    >
    > www.acdsystems.com

    I just installed ACDSee 6.0. Unfortunately, it makes a distinction
    between associated audio files and embedded audio.

    For instance, my JPG file and WAV file from my digital camera have the
    same exact filename (except for the extension). ACDSee lets me
    open/view the JPG file and I am able to launch the audio by clicking
    the speaker icon on the top control bar. BUT when I launch the
    slideshow, it does not play the WAV file when the associated JPG is
    displayed.

    ACDSee will only play audio that is "embedded" in the JPG. So, you
    were correct in what you suggested. The trouble is that I don't want
    to embed every JPG with the WAV file. I want ACDSee to load the
    "associated" WAV instead.

    Thumper, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    > MyAlbum does that. Their demo files include an example.
    > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

    I installed this software and tested it. But when creating a
    slideshow, it doesn't even let you import WAV files -- let alone
    associate those WAV files to certain JPG images.

    Thanks anyway. The search continues...

    Thumper, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Thumper

    Ralph Guest

    Sorry Thumper, but it does.
    Play the demo file and you will here a camera sound when the camera picture
    is displayed.
    Follow the instructions for the "Play command" in the Help menu under Index.
    Create your album and add the photos to it.
    Select the photo you want to add the sound to and press F7.
    Add something like "wav|D:\TMP\Thunder.wav" to the Play box in the right
    hand column, next to the URL box.
    Click Ok and then play the album.
    It works for me.

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply
    <>...

    Ralph, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Thumper

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Thumper wrote:

    >> MyAlbum does that. Their demo files include an example.
    >> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

    > I installed this software and tested it. But when creating a
    > slideshow, it doesn't even let you import WAV files -- let alone
    > associate those WAV files to certain JPG images.
    >
    > Thanks anyway. The search continues...

    Have you tried "Memories on TV"?

    Paolo Pizzi, Apr 8, 2004
  8. Thumper

    Mark M Guest

    "Thumper" <> wrote in message
    > > ACDSee 6 will let you do that.
    > > You can add audio annotation to image files, which will play back during

    > > slide show (which run automatically from any folder you like).
    > >
    > > www.acdsystems.com

    > I just installed ACDSee 6.0. Unfortunately, it makes a distinction
    > between associated audio files and embedded audio.
    >
    > For instance, my JPG file and WAV file from my digital camera have the
    > same exact filename (except for the extension). ACDSee lets me
    > open/view the JPG file and I am able to launch the audio by clicking
    > the speaker icon on the top control bar. BUT when I launch the
    > slideshow, it does not play the WAV file when the associated JPG is
    > displayed.
    >
    > ACDSee will only play audio that is "embedded" in the JPG. So, you
    > were correct in what you suggested. The trouble is that I don't want
    > to embed every JPG with the WAV file. I want ACDSee to load the
    > "associated" WAV instead.

    Ah. I see what you mean now.
    With ACDSee, you can actually ADD wave files that WILL be associated with
    the image (and played back automatically with that file in a slide show in
    ACDSee), but you must record it from within ACDSee. Would this still help?
    Or perhaps you are only interested in playing what you spoke when the
    picture was being taken...

    Mark M, Apr 8, 2004
  9. Thumper

    Mark M Guest

    Re: Need sliwshow **ACDSee CAN do this...

    "Thumper" <> wrote in message
    > > ACDSee 6 will let you do that.
    > > You can add audio annotation to image files, which will play back during

    > > slide show (which run automatically from any folder you like).
    > >
    > > www.acdsystems.com

    > I just installed ACDSee 6.0. Unfortunately, it makes a distinction
    > between associated audio files and embedded audio.
    >
    > For instance, my JPG file and WAV file from my digital camera have the
    > same exact filename (except for the extension). ACDSee lets me
    > open/view the JPG file and I am able to launch the audio by clicking
    > the speaker icon on the top control bar. BUT when I launch the
    > slideshow, it does not play the WAV file when the associated JPG is
    > displayed.
    >
    > ACDSee will only play audio that is "embedded" in the JPG. So, you
    > were correct in what you suggested. The trouble is that I don't want
    > to embed every JPG with the WAV file. I want ACDSee to load the
    > "associated" WAV instead.

    I just checked, and it CAN do what you desire.
    It will even let you edit the wave file (if you ramble too much, or have a
    large pause at teh beginning)
    Here's a portion I copied from teh help file:
    To add audio to an image:
    1.. Do one of the following:

    a.. Select an image in the Browser.

    b.. Open an image in the Viewer.

    2.. Click Tools | Image Audio | Edit.

    3.. In the Edit Audio dialog box, click the Browse button.

    4.. Select a WAV file and click Save.

    5.. If you would like to truncate or clip the audio file, select the Use
    markers check box, and drag the Start marker and End marker sliders. Do one
    of the following.

    a.. Click the Truncate button to remove the beginning and end of the
    audio file (the area outside of the start and end markers).

    b.. Click the Clip button to remove a section of the audio file (the
    area inside the start and end markers).

    6.. To hear a preview of the file, click the Play button.

    7.. Click OK.

    Mark M, Apr 8, 2004
  10. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    Re: Need sliwshow **ACDSee CAN do this...

    Hi again. I appreciate your taking the time to check this for me. I
    actually did do exactly what you described and you are right... it
    does work.

    But the process you describe "embeds" WAV files into JPG files. When
    you embed it, then, yes, the audio will play during the slideshow.

    But this involves some work and is beyond the technical abilities of
    my 60-something user.

    Again, ACDSee makes a distinction between "embedded" audio and
    "associated" audio. So, it won't play audio WAV files that have the
    same name and are in the same directory as the JPGs.

    Thanks for your help.

    Thumper, Apr 8, 2004
  11. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    Hi Ralph. I understand what you mean and I totally agree with you. But
    ACDSee won't automatically play WAV files "associated" (ie, not
    "embedded") to JPG files.

    My goal is to allow my 60-something father-in-law transfer his JPG and
    WAV files from his Canon digital camera to a folder in XP and then. in
    a click or two. view a slideshow (in ACDSee or another app) that will
    play his WAV files when the "associated" photo appears in the
    slideshow.

    ACDSee doesn't appear to do that. However, it does allow you to
    "embed" files (as you correctly described). But that is too
    complicated for him and involves more a few clicks and so ACDSee can't
    do wha I need it to do.

    Thanks anyway.

    Thumper, Apr 8, 2004
  12. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    > Have you tried "Memories on TV"?

    I jsut downloaded it and tried it now. It looks like a great program
    and seems pretty easy to use. But it doesn't even allow you to embed
    (let alone associate) WAV files to JPGs.

    The search continues...

    Thumper, Apr 9, 2004
  13. Thumper

    Ross Guest

    "Thumper" <> wrote in message
    > > Have you tried "Memories on TV"?

    > I jsut downloaded it and tried it now. It looks like a great program
    > and seems pretty easy to use. But it doesn't even allow you to embed
    > (let alone associate) WAV files to JPGs.
    >
    > The search continues...

    I guess that is because it makes a the slide show into a DVD movie rather
    than an actual slide show.

    Ross, Apr 9, 2004