Need SIP<>H323 Proxy

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Stylz, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Stylz

    Stylz Guest

    Hi,

    can anyone recommend a budget/open-source SIP<>H323 Proxy?

    What we want to do is this:

    SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> PSTN GW

    and/or

    SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> H323 Fone

    We tried to setup this using Vovidas siph323csgw but it seems that it
    isnt capable of this.

    Basicly we need a tool to terminate SIP calls into a H323 Network for
    PSTN termination. Ive heard that "Asterisk" may be able to do this
    but i havent seen any example setup for this scenario yet.

    Alternativley i would welcome any good offers for SIP based PSTN
    termination.

    Please either reply here or mail av at nethead.de.

    best regards,

    Arnd

    Stylz, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Stylz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > can anyone recommend a budget/open-source SIP<>H323 Proxy?
    >
    > What we want to do is this:
    >
    > SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> PSTN GW
    >
    > and/or
    >
    > SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> H323 Fone
    >
    > We tried to setup this using Vovidas siph323csgw but it seems that it
    > isnt capable of this.
    >
    > Basicly we need a tool to terminate SIP calls into a H323 Network for
    > PSTN termination. Ive heard that "Asterisk" may be able to do this
    > but i havent seen any example setup for this scenario yet.
    > Arnd

    IMHO you can use Asterisk for this. I use Asterisk in a test scenario
    where I'm able to interconnect calls from SIP to ISDN, SIP to IAX (Inter
    Asterisk Exchange protocol) and vice versa. As long as you don't want to
    transcode calls, I don't see any problems.

    The setup would be:
    SIP Phone <> Asterisk <> H.323 Gateway and/or
    SIP Phone <> Asterisk <> H.323 Phone

    H.323, as I understand it, is a bit tricky (ie. not standard) in
    Asterisk, but I've seen enough people on the Astersisk lists who have
    H.323 working. Alternatively you could use Asterisk to provide PSTN
    services to SIP clients directly, without the use of H.323. I use this
    scenario in 'my' Asterisk box. Sip clients connect to the box, the box
    is running Asterisk. From Asterisk I'm able to route calls to ISDN (via
    ISDN-2 interface board) and Free World dialup...

    --
    Arnold

    http://www.ligtvoet.org - Edmund Blackadder said :
    "I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!"
    Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Arnold Ligtvoet, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Stylz

    Dan Guest

    QTelNet has a soft switch that will do H323 to SIP converstion. The first
    24 ports are fre except for a $100 hardware charge. Email me at dan_c06 at
    yahoo dot com . I will forward the details that my rep sent me.

    Dan, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Stylz

    VoIP Guy Guest

    Stylz,

    I use telappliant's voiptalk service? They offer sip termination and also
    incoming pstn to ip numbers.

    VoIPguy

    VoIP Guy, Jan 25, 2004