    Sorry guys, I did try to RTFM and I'm stuck.

    Thanks,

    Bob W
    Bob Wilson, Aug 17, 2011

  2. Bob Wilson

    Bob Wilson Guest

    On Aug 17, 4:55 pm, Bob Wilson <> wrote:
    > Before setting up an ASA 5505 I put the latest OS 8.4.2 on it, and the
    > NAT commands are not transparent to me.  That's an understatement.
    > What I would like to do in the very beginning is just get it to ROUTE,
    > between a subnet on the inside and a static outside address.  I'm
    > doing something wrong, and when I go through a setup routine in an ASA-
    > for-Dummies-type book, when it gets to NAT commands, I get
    >
    > ciscoasa(config-if)# nat (inside) 1 192.168.99.0 255.255.255.0
    > ERROR: This syntax of nat command has been deprecated.
    > Please refer to "help nat" command for more details.
    >
    > And "help NAT" returns screenfuls of what is to me very cryptic and
    > dense information.
    >
    > Sorry guys, I did try to RTFM and I'm stuck.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob W

    PS. I just punched in that command so I could show you exactly what
    it was, and didn't pay attention to where I was working from. It gets
    the same error message from ciscoasa (config) #
    Bob Wilson, Aug 18, 2011

  3. Bob Wilson

    Andrew Stanton

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Bob,

    If you provide more about what your setup is currently like, I can help you better. Also, if you do a 'show run nat' that would let me know what you currently have. Otherwise, let me try to guess.

    In 8.3 and 8.4 code the NAT syntax looks completely different. So if your reading a book that was released with reference to earlier OS versions, then it's not going to get you anywhere.

    Online documentation can be helpful, just find 8.3 and 8.4 stuff like the 8.4 configuration guide or the 8.3 migration guide.

    Anyway, enough blabber, lets get to the commands

    object network LAN
    subnet 1923.168.99.0 255.255.255.0
    nat (inside,outside) dynamic interface

    That should do it.

    If you want to go outside, then you need a NAT statement. So, in 8.3 and 8.4 it looks like the following:
    Andrew Stanton, Aug 26, 2011