    code it.

    -steve
    steve dot mail at cox dot net

    Steve Bennett, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Steve Bennett wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend an app that allows me to script control
    > of my digital camera?

    Possibly, but you'd probably need to say what camera you have first.

    > I'm so close but linux
    > is for people who like to write their own device drivers.

    Is it? Oh, right.

    It's when people spout crap like that that I decide they're better off
    solving their problems on their own.

    Derek Fountain, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Steve Bennett

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:14:26 -0500, Steve Bennett wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend an app that allows me to script control
    > of my digital camera?
    > My first choice was linux, gphoto2, and perl because I'm comfortable
    > scripting in UNIX and Perl but I'm finding it very frustrating
    > getting gphoto to work with my camera. I'm so close but linux
    > is for people who like to write their own device drivers.
    > I'm a scripter not a programmer.
    >
    > Please help I have a way cool effect thing I want to do but can't find a
    > way to
    > code it.
    >
    > -steve
    > steve dot mail at cox dot net

    Try GTkam.
    --
    Neil
    Delete 'l' to reply by email

    Neil Ellwood, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Thanks to all who replied.
    Derek, Sorry for the linux bashing. I didn't mean to start a religious
    war.
    I actually love Unix and Linix. I'm just frustrated after spending two
    more days
    searching for source code and trying to resolve software dependencies.
    It's really a shame more vendors don't support Linux.
    Anyway I digress.....

    Here are my requirements.
    I need to be able to script the following actions:
    1)Fire the shutter.
    2)download the image to my computer so it is available for further
    processing.
    3)delete the image from the camera.
    4)repeat 1,2, and 3 at a rate of one image per second or better.
    My current cameras are Kodak DC240. (I bought it because gphoto2 claimed
    to support it.)
    I also have an Olymus 540Z which the new gphoto2 might support. I plan
    to try it next.
    The camera type isn't important. If I find good scriptable camera
    control software I'll buy whatever camera
    it supports.

    As I said I prefer to do this in Linux and Perl so I'm looking for
    something
    like gphoto2 that is command line driven as opposed to GUI based.
    Neil, Is GTKam scriptable?
    Tom, I visited your web page. That's a really cool project.
    I have a BASIC Stamp micro controller that I hope to put to use some
    day.

    Well I'm off to read up on GTKam.
    Thanks,
    -Steve
    steve dot mail at cox dot net

    Steve Bennett, Mar 16, 2006
  5. BTW Here is what I'm trying to accomplish.
    I created this with a web cam and a Perl script.
    My goal is to repeat this process with a higher resolution camera so
    I can make photos like this poster size.
    Here's a link showing the effect I'm after.
    In order to achive this I need to automate the process of capturing a
    sequence of
    still images and then process them.

    http://tinyurl.com/r7uf9

    Thanks,
    -Steve

    Steve Bennett, Mar 16, 2006
  6. Steve Bennett

    bugbear Guest

    Steve Bennett wrote:
    > As I said I prefer to do this in Linux and Perl so I'm looking for
    > something
    > like gphoto2 that is command line driven as opposed to GUI based.
    > Neil, Is GTKam scriptable?

    http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/quickstart.html

    "gtkam is a graphical front end for the gphoto2 library"

    BugBear

    bugbear, Mar 16, 2006
  7. Steve Bennett

    l v Guest

    Steve Bennett wrote:
    > I'm a scripter not a programmer.

    I think you want to be a scripter based on the below which is from a
    Perl newsgroup:

    The difference between a 'scripter' and a 'programmer' is determined
    by what happens when you bring up an error to them and ask for a fix:

    The Scripter will look at you and think for a moment -- and fix the
    code.

    The Programmer will look at you as if you've just said, 'Go shove a
    weasel up your ass,' and will blame the networking group.

    Len

    l v, Mar 16, 2006
  8. Steve Bennett

    l v Guest

    Steve Bennett wrote:
    > Here are my requirements.
    > I need to be able to script the following actions:
    > 1)Fire the shutter.

    gphoto2 can do this --capture-image

    > 2)download the image to my computer so it is available for further
    > processing.

    --list-folders and --get-all-files or --new

    > 3)delete the image from the camera.

    --delete-all-files

    > 4)repeat 1,2, and 3 at a rate of one image per second or better.

    while { captureImage(); downloadImage(); deleteImage(); sleep 1; }

    or --frames COUNT

    > My current cameras are Kodak DC240. (I bought it because gphoto2 claimed
    > to support it.)

    gphoto2 lists it as supported.

    l v, Mar 16, 2006