    and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera that will
    let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside and outside?
    What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for any help

    KT, Dec 12, 2004

  2. "KT" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
    > when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur. I
    > can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of bells
    > and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera that will
    > let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside and outside?
    > What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for any help

    Are you adjusting the shutter speed yourself or are you at the mercy of the
    camera?

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 12, 2004

  3. KT

    Jim Townsend Guest

    KT wrote:

    > I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
    > when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur. I
    > can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of bells
    > and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera that will
    > let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside and outside?
    > What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for any help

    Kodak FinePix ?? Fuji makes the FinePix.. Since they
    don't make a 3800 model, I'll assume you have a DC-3800 :)

    I don't think it's *just* shutter speed you're after...

    I took a peek and see the DC-3800 will do 1/1000 of a second, which
    should be OK for capturing human action.

    The 3800 is a point-and-shoot camera. It has no Shutter priority function.
    This means you can't select the shutter speed directly, the camera picks
    it for you based on existing light.

    Have you checked the EXIF data in your blurred shots to see what the camera
    chose for a shutter speed ? I suspect it found a happy median between
    aperture and speed. You probably only see the maximum speed of 1/1000 under
    extremely bright conditions.

    What you need is a more advanced camera that allows you to dial in
    a fixed shutter speed. Then you know you're getting the fastest exposure..

    Of course this is as long as there's enough light. Sometimes you just
    can't choose the fastest shutter speed because the picture will come out
    underexposed. In this case, you have to look for a low f/number in the
    lens and/or the ability to increase the ISO.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 12, 2004
  4. KT

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    <Snipped Text>

    > Of course this is as long as there's enough light. Sometimes you just
    > can't choose the fastest shutter speed because the picture will come out
    > underexposed. In this case, you have to look for a low f/number in the
    > lens and/or the ability to increase the ISO.

    The Minolta Z range have a manual shutter speed selection as well as a
    low shutter release lag.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

    Andy Hewitt, Dec 13, 2004
  5. KT wrote:
    > I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
    > when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur.
    > I can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of
    > bells and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera
    > that will let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside
    > and outside? What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for
    > any help

    The Canon 20D will do 1/8,000 It also as essentially no shutter delay.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 13, 2004
  6. "KT" <> writes:

    > I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
    > when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur. I
    > can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of bells
    > and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera that will
    > let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside and outside?
    > What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for any help

    While shutter speed may be a factor, what you probably need is the camera to
    have a faster ISO speed and/or faster lens that would allow a faster shutter
    speed to be selected. Most prosumer cameras top out at ISO 400, with a few
    giving ISO 800. I looked up the specs, and it looks like your camera has a
    f/2.8 lens (reasonably fast), 1/1000 shutter speed, but can only do ISO 100.
    If you go to the DMC-FZ 10S, it has a f/2.8 lens, and can do ISO 400, which
    would give you two f/stops more of speed (ie, if you are shooting at 1/30
    second, it would allow you to shoot at 4 times that or 1/125 second). Note,
    going to a higher ISO means you will have more image noise on the picture. It
    could also be that the Kodak doesn't give you the control over shutter speed
    that other cameras do.

    To get faster, you need a DSLR and fast lenses, and expect to pay $1-2000 for
    the body alone, and possibly more for the lenses.

    Finally another option is to use an external flash, which can freeze the action.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 13, 2004
  7. KT

    pjp Guest

    My F602Z will do 1/10000 of a sec. when in fully manual mode. Mind you, need
    VERY BRIGHT conditions to use it but it stops everything I've tried it on
    including humming bird wings (can easily see the feathers edges right to the
    end of the wings) and I suspect it'd even catch a shotgun (pistol/rifle?)
    going off if one could time the shutter correctly.

    pjp, Dec 14, 2004
  8. pjp wrote:
    > My F602Z will do 1/10000 of a sec. when in fully manual mode. Mind
    > you, need VERY BRIGHT conditions to use it but it stops everything
    > I've tried it on including humming bird wings (can easily see the
    > feathers edges right to the end of the wings) and I suspect it'd even
    > catch a shotgun (pistol/rifle?) going off if one could time the
    > shutter correctly.

    I wonder if follow focus would work? :)

    --
    Joseph Meehan