    - LCD screen
    - No optical zoom

    Thanks
    Dave, Nov 9, 2004

  2. You can find several 3MP chinese/taiwanese digicams with no zoom but
    with flash and run on AA. I have one that is 2MP and under $100. They
    have a CMOS sensor that sucks in low-light but produces decent photos
    in good light.

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=161405
    $70.99

    Its also sold as Mercury or BenQ.
    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Dave wrote:
    > I'd like to get my young kid a digital camera for Christmas and need
    > recommendations based on these specs:
    >
    > - Inexpensive <$100
    > - Simple
    > - Rugged
    > - At least 1 MP
    > - AA Batteries
    > - LCD screen
    > - No optical zoom

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=161405
    $70.99

    And its very rugged. I always carry it around with my other gear. It
    takes great pics in daylight. I lug it around in the car just in case
    something goes wrong with my main camera so I don't miss any kodak
    moments.
    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Dave

    Chris D Guest

    On 9 Nov 2004 11:46:36 -0800
    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote:

    > You can find several 3MP chinese/taiwanese digicams with no
    > zoom but with flash and run on AA. I have one that is 2MP and
    > under $100. They have a CMOS sensor that sucks in low-light
    > but produces decent photos in good light.

    The cheap chinese ones I've seen need to be held pretty steady
    to get a decent shot - Something the kids might have trouble
    with... I Don't know a price, but I know there's a pretty cheap
    Sony 3MP that I've played with, had a fixed lens and was pretty
    good. Sorry I can't tell much more.

    -Chris D
    Chris D, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Dave

    Chris D Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:02:17 +1030
    Chris D <> wrote:

    > Sorry I can't tell much more.

    OK, Looks like it was the Sony P31... It's not on Sonys website
    any more, the P41 is, at $176, so well over your budget. Might
    be worth looking around though, you might find a 31 cheap...
    They are a good little pocket-cam.
    Chris D, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=161405
    > $70.99
    >
    > And its very rugged. I always carry it around with my other gear. It
    > takes great pics in daylight. I lug it around in the car just in case
    > something goes wrong with my main camera so I don't miss any kodak
    > moments.

    Interesting.. It doesn't seem to have a lens cover... I remeber seeing
    a canon or fuji with no zoom with a sliding lens cover.
    Dave, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Dave wrote:

    > > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=161405
    > > $70.99
    > >
    > > And its very rugged. I always carry it around with my other gear.

    It
    > > takes great pics in daylight. I lug it around in the car just in

    case
    > > something goes wrong with my main camera so I don't miss any kodak
    > > moments.

    > Interesting.. It doesn't seem to have a lens cover... I remeber

    seeing
    > a canon or fuji with no zoom with a sliding lens cover.

    Yes, no lens cover. It also doubles up as a webcam with mic. I even
    took some moon pics with it by handholing over the scope's eyepiece.
    Turned out decent.

    If you upgrade your budget a bit, you can get Kodak 6230 with 3x zoom.
    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Dave

    Guest

    (Dave) writes:

    > I'd like to get my young kid a digital camera for Christmas and need
    > recommendations based on these specs:
    >
    > - Inexpensive <$100
    > - Simple
    > - Rugged
    > - At least 1 MP
    > - AA Batteries
    > - LCD screen
    > - No optical zoom

    EOS-1D with a 35mm lens. Meets all but one of your criteria. And
    they bounce well too!

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I noticed a refurbished Fuji A200 or A201 for abour $65 - 70 that
    looks like a good choice.
    Dave, Nov 10, 2004