need recommendation - device between laptop and pda

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by aum, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. aum

    aum Guest

    Hi,

    Can anyone recommend me to a portable computing device that has a screen
    size somewhere between a PDA and a laptop? For instance, approximately the
    area of an A5 sheet of paper?

    Touch-screen preferred, ability to plug in
    PS/2 keyboard desirable but not essential.

    I want it mainly as an e-book reader - it must have the ability to hook up
    to a PC, with a PDF reader, or if it has a proprietary ebook
    format, then the ability for users to create their own ebooks in that
    format.

    Any ideas of products, or anyone in NZ selling such things?

    Thanks in advance

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Jan 14, 2006

  2. aum

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    aum <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend me to a portable computing device that has a screen
    > size somewhere between a PDA and a laptop? For instance, approximately the
    > area of an A5 sheet of paper?

    Um. A5 is 210mm x 148.5mm. That's 10.1" diagonal, which *is* laptop
    size.

    > Touch-screen preferred, ability to plug in
    > PS/2 keyboard desirable but not essential.

    A used Newton.

    They come up on trademe from time to time.

    From http://static.the-gadgeteer.com/newton.html:

    Size (inches): 1.12x4.7x8.3
    Weight (ounces): 22.4
    StrongARM SA-110 RISC processor at 160 MHz
    Newton custom system chip set-ASIC
    5MB RAM (1MB of DRAM, 4MB of Flash RAM)
    8MB of mask ROM
    Low-power, transflective 4.9-in. by 3.3-in. (129.8-mm by 83.2-mm) liquid
    crystal display (480 by 320 pixels at 100 dpi, with 16-level gray scale
    and EL backlight)

    That's about 8% - 90% of the size of A6, in each direction, A6 being
    148.5mm x 105mm.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jan 14, 2006

  3. aum

    aum Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:06:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > aum <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend me to a portable computing device that has a screen
    >> size somewhere between a PDA and a laptop? For instance, approximately the
    >> area of an A5 sheet of paper?

    > Um. A5 is 210mm x 148.5mm. That's 10.1" diagonal, which *is* laptop
    > size.

    Bloody small laptop. My common-size laptop has a 14" diagonal.

    I saw a bleeding-edge tablet PC (touchscreen, no keyboard, not just a
    touchscreen-capable laptop) at computer city, but their website is down so
    I can't investigate further

    >> Touch-screen preferred, ability to plug in PS/2 keyboard desirable but
    >> not essential.

    > A used Newton.
    > They come up on trademe from time to time.
    >
    > From http://static.the-gadgeteer.com/newton.html:
    >
    > Size (inches): 1.12x4.7x8.3
    > Weight (ounces): 22.4
    > StrongARM SA-110 RISC processor at 160 MHz Newton custom system chip
    > set-ASIC
    > 5MB RAM (1MB of DRAM, 4MB of Flash RAM) 8MB of mask ROM Low-power,
    > transflective 4.9-in. by 3.3-in. (129.8-mm by 83.2-mm) liquid crystal
    > display (480 by 320 pixels at 100 dpi, with 16-level gray scale and EL
    > backlight)
    >
    > That's about 8% - 90% of the size of A6, in each direction, A6 being
    > 148.5mm x 105mm.

    Thanks for the suggestion, but that is much closer to PDA size than I was
    looking for. I guess I'm really after a screen size of 9-11 inches
    diagonal, without the clumsy fold-out keyboard of a laptop.

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Jan 14, 2006
  4. aum

    Philip Guest

    aum wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:06:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> aum <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone recommend me to a portable computing device that has a screen
    >>> size somewhere between a PDA and a laptop? For instance, approximately the
    >>> area of an A5 sheet of paper?

    >> Um. A5 is 210mm x 148.5mm. That's 10.1" diagonal, which *is* laptop
    >> size.

    > Bloody small laptop. My common-size laptop has a 14" diagonal.
    >
    > I saw a bleeding-edge tablet PC (touchscreen, no keyboard, not just a
    > touchscreen-capable laptop) at computer city, but their website is down so
    > I can't investigate further
    >
    >>> Touch-screen preferred, ability to plug in PS/2 keyboard desirable but
    >>> not essential.

    >> A used Newton.
    >> They come up on trademe from time to time.
    >>
    >> From http://static.the-gadgeteer.com/newton.html:
    >>
    >> Size (inches): 1.12x4.7x8.3
    >> Weight (ounces): 22.4
    >> StrongARM SA-110 RISC processor at 160 MHz Newton custom system chip
    >> set-ASIC
    >> 5MB RAM (1MB of DRAM, 4MB of Flash RAM) 8MB of mask ROM Low-power,
    >> transflective 4.9-in. by 3.3-in. (129.8-mm by 83.2-mm) liquid crystal
    >> display (480 by 320 pixels at 100 dpi, with 16-level gray scale and EL
    >> backlight)
    >>
    >> That's about 8% - 90% of the size of A6, in each direction, A6 being
    >> 148.5mm x 105mm.

    > Thanks for the suggestion, but that is much closer to PDA size than I was
    > looking for. I guess I'm really after a screen size of 9-11 inches
    > diagonal, without the clumsy fold-out keyboard of a laptop.

    I'm using my Psion NetBook, running the "Sargebook" variant of Debian Linux.

    It has touchscreen, wireless & wired networking, and batteries that last
    from 8 to 10 hours between charges.

    They're on eBay for around $NZ 350, and good value too.

    You could try running its original OS - EPOC, later Symbian, but it's
    not longer supported on the netBook, and I don't know if there are
    converters for the various e-book formats.

    If you were to get one, you'd probably have to install your own
    Saregebook OS on it (available free, I would be happy to share experiences).

    Philip

    Philip, Jan 14, 2006