    I'm looking for the lowest priced decent digital camera that will
    record movies with audio.

    By decent, I mean name brand and at least 3 MP. Thanks!

    Fugetaboutit, Sep 30, 2005

  2. Fugetaboutit

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    Check http://www.dpreview.com for tons of digital camera reviews.

    Shawn Hirn, Sep 30, 2005

  3. Fugetaboutit

    Fugetaboutit Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:40:59 -0400, Shawn Hirn <>
    wrote:

    >Check http://www.dpreview.com for tons of digital camera reviews.

    Thanks, I've been there many times including today. Please read
    subject better next time.

    Fugetaboutit, Sep 30, 2005
  4. "Fugetaboutit" <yer.m@ma> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:40:59 -0400, Shawn Hirn <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Check http://www.dpreview.com for tons of digital camera reviews.

    > Thanks, I've been there many times including today. Please read
    > subject better next time.

    So, what the heck do you want from us?

    Charles Schuler, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Fugetaboutit

    Z Guest

    Just bought my wife a KODAK 5 Mp (with 3x optical zoom) and video with
    sound... - (Kodak C340)

    Not a bad little camera! - I've got to say for the 229.00 canadian I spent,
    its a pretty sweet camera! (picture quality is pretty good too!) -

    (plus she hasn't complained about it yet, which must mean she's pretty happy
    with it sofar)!

    Z, Oct 1, 2005
  6. Fugetaboutit

    Fugetaboutit Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:49:53 -0400, "Charles Schuler"
    <> wrote:

    >"Fugetaboutit" <yer.m@ma> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:40:59 -0400, Shawn Hirn <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Check http://www.dpreview.com for tons of digital camera reviews.

    >> Thanks, I've been there many times including today. Please read
    >> subject better next time.

    >So, what the heck do you want from us?

    Well, the original message reads, "I'm looking for the lowest priced
    decent digital camera that will record movies with audio." I thought
    that was pretty clear, but let me say it a different way:

    I would like to hear comments from anyone who has experience with a
    low-priced, 3MP or higher digital camera that will record video with
    sound.

    Thanks for the reply and I hope this helps.

    Fugetaboutit, Oct 1, 2005
  7. Fugetaboutit

    Frank ess Guest

    Fugetaboutit wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:49:53 -0400, "Charles Schuler"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Fugetaboutit" <yer.m@ma> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, I've been there many times including today. Please read
    >>> subject better next time.

    >> So, what the heck do you want from us?
    >>

    > Well, the original message reads, "I'm looking for the lowest priced
    > decent digital camera that will record movies with audio." I thought
    > that was pretty clear, but let me say it a different way:
    >
    > I would like to hear comments from anyone who has experience with a
    > low-priced, 3MP or higher digital camera that will record video with
    > sound.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply and I hope this helps.

    I like the no-longer-in-production Minolta Dimage Xt. 3MP and it will
    do video with sound to the extent of your battery and SD card. I'll
    bet the imminent replacement Xsomething is even better.
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/66D59AD7B3F7406

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 1, 2005
  8. Fugetaboutit

    Lin Chung Guest

    Fugetaboutit wrote:
    > I'm looking for the lowest priced decent digital camera that will
    > record movies with audio.
    > By decent, I mean name brand and at least 3 MP. Thanks!

    1) Samsung i5 (2/3" thick)
    http://www.dcviews.com/_samsung/i5.htm £188 (inclusive of 17.5% VAT) in UK,
    so it should be cheaper elsewhere.
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/samsung/digimax_i5-review/index.shtml
    Judge for yourself. Compare the sample photos of the same subjects with
    those from other cameras. Prepared to be surprised!
    http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/samsung-i5/i5-gen.php Take special note of
    Image Quality on page 3, Test Photos, and the reviewer's comment in
    Our Opinion.
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=64173&forum_id=87&page=2
    Users' opinions. In particular those from Musicarvind who posted some still
    photos and one video clip. This clip (in MPEG-4, not the memory hogging
    Motion JPEG), besides the still photos, demonstrates convincingly that this
    little chap rightfully belongs to the top league of compact/sub-compact
    duo-mode digicams.

    2) Casio P505 (2" thick, lying on its back in a belt pouch)
    You may like to consider this too, for it is surprisingly sharp (You can
    read the plaque at the foot of the bronze cast in the Memorial Court in it's
    review in dcresource.com) with uniformly even tonality (unlike it's cousin,
    the Z750, and Fujifilm F10). And, unlike Samsung i5, during a zooming video
    operation, the audio is not shut off (The zooming mechanism is in a sealed
    unit, hence no intrusive motor whine). But it is £100 more.

    --
    Lin Chung
    [Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

    Lin Chung, Oct 2, 2005
  9. --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
    Ï "Lin Chung" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > Fugetaboutit wrote:
    > > I'm looking for the lowest priced decent digital camera that will
    > > record movies with audio.
    > > By decent, I mean name brand and at least 3 MP. Thanks!

    > 1) Samsung i5 (2/3" thick)
    > http://www.dcviews.com/_samsung/i5.htm £188 (inclusive of 17.5% VAT) in

    UK,
    > so it should be cheaper elsewhere.
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/samsung/digimax_i5-review/index.shtml
    > Judge for yourself. Compare the sample photos of the same subjects with
    > those from other cameras. Prepared to be surprised!
    > http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/samsung-i5/i5-gen.php Take special note

    of
    > Image Quality on page 3, Test Photos, and the reviewer's comment in
    > Our Opinion.

    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=64173&forum_id=87&page=
    2
    > Users' opinions. In particular those from Musicarvind who posted some

    still
    > photos and one video clip. This clip (in MPEG-4, not the memory hogging
    > Motion JPEG), besides the still photos, demonstrates convincingly that

    this
    > little chap rightfully belongs to the top league of compact/sub-compact
    > duo-mode digicams.
    >
    > 2) Casio P505 (2" thick, lying on its back in a belt pouch)
    > You may like to consider this too, for it is surprisingly sharp (You can
    > read the plaque at the foot of the bronze cast in the Memorial Court in

    it's
    > review in dcresource.com) with uniformly even tonality (unlike it's

    cousin,
    > the Z750, and Fujifilm F10). And, unlike Samsung i5, during a zooming

    video
    > operation, the audio is not shut off (The zooming mechanism is in a sealed
    > unit, hence no intrusive motor whine). But it is £100 more.
    >
    > --
    > Lin Chung
    > [Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

    Or maybe the Kodak CX 7330, you can get one for less than 200 euros,
    complete with charger and memory card.Although I always recommend not to use
    a still camera for video, but use a dedicated camcorder for thet purpose
    (there are many models to choose from, even the consumer DV models are
    excellent, and if you've got old 8 mm or Hi-8 movies you can go for a
    Digital 8.Still cameras are always still cameras and camcorders are
    camcorders, although there's an expensive sony model, for 1000 euro, that
    can take still photos, too.)

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Oct 2, 2005
  10. Fugetaboutit

    Lin Chung Guest

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
    > Lin Chung wrote:
    > > Fugetaboutit wrote:
    > > > I'm looking for the lowest priced decent digital camera that will
    > > > record movies with audio.
    > > > By decent, I mean name brand and at least 3 MP. Thanks!

    > > 1) Samsung i5 (2/3" thick)
    > > 2) Casio P505 (2" thick, lying on its back in a belt pouch)

    > Or maybe the Kodak CX 7330...Although I always recommend
    > not to use a still camera for video, but use a dedicated camcorder
    > for thet purpose...an expensive sony model, for 1000 euro, that
    > can take still photos, too.

    True, at the current stage of the evolution of digital image capturing
    devices, a duo-camera providing performance equally good in both camps has
    not yet emerged. It is the holly grail, for most people are content with
    just decent, not necessarily photographically superb, images and the camera
    manufacturers naturally produce what most people want.

    While the emphasis is on "lowest priced" as the OP has requested, I did not
    include the other duo-cameras which I have found quite good. Examples are:
    Canon S2 IS
    Panasonic LX-1 (in spite of its noisy still photos!)
    Sanyo C4 and C5 These last two give the best MPEG-4 video and very decent
    stills (as can be seen in samples in their reviews on steves-digicams.com).
    They are purely P&S cameras with no manual control.
    All the above models are over £300 apiece.

    The JVC GZ-MC500 camcorder (yes, camcorder) has a very decent still photo
    taking capability (For the first time, as commented by the reviewer in the
    highly respected camcorderinfo.com). I have to admit that I did not find
    the 5MB still images from this duo-camcorder had anything special to write
    home about. It's selling for £729. Notwithstanding, I am eyeing this
    closely!
    http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/jvc/gz_mc500-review/index.shtml
    http://www.georeviews.com/show/14791/

    Lin Chung, Oct 2, 2005