    what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
    i am using windows

    thanks
    steven-c, Apr 22, 2005

  2. steven-c

    Guest

    I have Archive Creator, which is extremely good and not very expensive,
    DonB
    steven-c wrote:
    > i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked

    into
    > using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
    > over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
    > backup.
    >
    > what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
    > i am using windows
    >
    > thanks
    , Apr 22, 2005

  3. steven-c

    Ted Rogers Guest

    22/04/2005 02:17:45

    steven-c <> wrote in message

    <>

    > i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked

    into

    > using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned

    > over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the

    > backup.

    > what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.

    > i am using windows

    > thanks

    I would highly recommend 'Photo Backup' - http://www.onthegosoft.
    com/photo_backup.htm It allows spanning of multiple CD's/DVD's and
    will write an index page to each disk if required. I backed up
    roughly the same amount only the other day and it worked great -
    quite cheap too.

    HTH

    Ted
    --
    Composed with Newz Crawler 1.7 http://www.newzcrawler.com/
    Ted Rogers, Apr 22, 2005
  4. steven-c

    Ron Hunter Guest

    steven-c wrote:
    > i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked into
    > using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
    > over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
    > backup.
    >
    > what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
    > i am using windows
    >
    > thanks

    I would just write them to disk using Windows Explorer. Most backup
    methods are subject to losing data if anything becomes corrupt. If
    something bad happens to disk 1 of a 7 disk backup, you might lose
    everything. It will take longer, and more attention, to do it with
    Windows Explorer, but I think it is worth the extra trouble. The same
    goes for trying to compress the data first. Unless the pictures are
    quite large, you can probably get all of them on one DVD.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 22, 2005
  5. steven-c

    Harmless Guest

    steven-c wrote:
    > i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked into
    > using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
    > over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
    > backup.
    >
    > what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
    > i am using windows
    >
    > thanks

    Steven,
    I've used SyncBackSE for a couple years now, and it works great.
    Plus it's freeware!
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse.html
    Good luck,
    Harmless
    Harmless, Apr 22, 2005
  6. steven-c

    steven-c Guest

    one dvd? no, they are much larger than that. i think it clocks in at
    around 12 gigs which is about three 4.5 gig dvd's
    steven-c, Apr 22, 2005
  7. steven-c

    Guest

    Hi Steven,
    Kind of a late answer but you might try Backup4all -
    http://www.backup4all.com
    It has a mirror backup feature that allows you to store your images on
    the dvd in their original format. Plus, if you need to span those over
    multiple dvds it will not "split" the last image, meaning all your
    images will be intact on the dvds. You can check it out to see if it's
    good.

    Softland
    http://www.backup4all.com//
    steven-c wrote:
    > i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked

    into
    > using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
    > over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
    > backup.
    >
    > what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
    > i am using windows
    >
    > thanks
    , Apr 26, 2005
  8. steven-c

    Scott W Guest

    I will add a vote for Archive Creator, in the last couple of days I
    just backed up my collection of 55,000 some photos. It makes a nice
    html index, which is nice if you like you archives to be platform
    independent. I was also rather amazed that it handled my raw files so
    well, including from my Sony F828, which not many people support.

    I tent to do incermental Archive over the year and then a full new set
    once a year, it is a good thing DVDs have gotten so cheap.

    Scott
    Scott W, Apr 26, 2005
  9. steven-c

    measekite Guest

    Dantz Retrospect is without a doubt the best backup software available.
    It does need some studying to master much of it but you can do much with
    little understanding.

    measekite, Apr 26, 2005