    I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    Win ME btyahoo BB
    Annette Kurten, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Annette Kurten

    Scraggy Guest

    Annette Kurten wrote:
    > is there something I can download to put a timer on internet access,
    > one of my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    > I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    > Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    > Win ME btyahoo BB

    Any good?

    http://www.blumentals.net/inetprot/

    members. Groucho Marx
    Scraggy, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Annette Kurten

    JANA Guest

    If you are going through a descent router, you can set it up to have
    internet access times.

    Are your kids doing something constructive on the net? There is a lot of
    learning to be had. It also increases computer skills which will be very
    necessary as time goes on.

    If your kids are cruising porno sites, and chat rooms, then this is another
    issue.

    We allow all members of the family as much internet time as possible,
    providing all their other obligations are done.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Annette Kurten

    WormWood Guest

    WormWood, Jul 12, 2005
  5. "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    > is there something I can download to put a timer on internet access, one
    > of
    > my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    > I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    > Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    > Win ME btyahoo BB

    Get your life together girl. This is obviously a chronic problem that has
    been building slowly-- yet all of a sudden you need a "QUICK" reply.

    Pay attention to the world around you and learn to respond appropriately so
    small problems as they arise. It's better to prevent problems from occurring
    than to have to solve them.

    Joe the Net Psychologist
    Joseph E. Johnston, Jul 12, 2005
  6. "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in

    > is there something I can download to put a timer on internet
    > access, one of my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    > I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    > Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    > Win ME btyahoo BB

    How about a big stick applied to the seat of understanding?

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Jul 12, 2005
  7. Annette Kurten

    Guest

    "Top (retired)" wrote:

    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in
    >
    > > is there something I can download to put a timer on internet
    > > access, one of my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    > > I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    > > Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    > > Win ME btyahoo BB
    > >

    > How about a big stick applied to the seat of understanding?
    >
    > --
    > Freedom is never free....

    One of the joys of being a parent <sigh>.
    You need to analyze whats going on and discuss it with the kid.
    If the kid has any computer smarts the kid is going to figure out how to
    beat anything technical you do.
    Perhaps a little more info here would generate ideas.

    LB
    , Jul 12, 2005
  8. Annette Kurten

    jils Guest

    take the keyboard with you when you go to work

    jils, Jul 12, 2005
  9. jils wrote:

    > take the keyboard with you when you go to work

    Good answer if there aren't any computer stores in town. Keyboards are
    cheap.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 12, 2005
  10. Annette Kurten

    aleX Guest

    Annette Kurten wrote:
    > is there something I can download to put a timer on internet access, one of
    > my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    > I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    > Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    > Win ME btyahoo BB

    I see you state you have broadband, so at least you don't have to worry
    about getting a huge dialup phonebill!

    If you think you can find something that they can't circumvent, look for
    a program a little more tricky to turn off. Password protected maybe,
    that won't let the internet connection function otherwise. You could
    leave it set for 2 hours or so. Sorry I can't think of any products offhand.

    There are even timers for wall sockets, so the whole PC will power off
    at a given time, but this would be easy to get around for any
    knowledgeable kid...
    aleX, Jul 12, 2005
  11. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Joseph E. Johnston" <fightinjoe@rebnet> wrote in message
    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    >> is there something I can download to put a timer on internet access, one
    >> of
    >> my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    >> I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    >> Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    >> Win ME btyahoo BB

    > Get your life together girl. This is obviously a chronic problem that has
    > been building slowly-- yet all of a sudden you need a "QUICK" reply.
    >
    > Pay attention to the world around you and learn to respond appropriately
    > so small problems as they arise. It's better to prevent problems from
    > occurring than to have to solve them.
    >
    > Joe the Net Psychologist

    heh heh ... love it <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jul 12, 2005
  12. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Top (retired)" wrote:
    >
    >> "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > is there something I can download to put a timer on internet
    >> > access, one of my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    >> > I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    >> > Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    >> > Win ME btyahoo BB
    >> >

    >> How about a big stick applied to the seat of understanding?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Freedom is never free....

    > One of the joys of being a parent <sigh>.
    > You need to analyze whats going on and discuss it with the kid.
    > If the kid has any computer smarts the kid is going to figure out how to
    > beat anything technical you do.
    > Perhaps a little more info here would generate ideas.
    >
    > LB

    Why are you telling this to Top? He's retired...or so his user name says. He
    probably doesn't need any advice on raising kids...
    Toolman Tim, Jul 12, 2005
  13. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > jils wrote:
    >
    >> Annette Kurten wrote:
    >>> is there something I can download to put a timer on internet access, one
    >>> of
    >>> my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    >>> I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    >>> Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    >>> Win ME btyahoo BB

    >> take the keyboard with you when you go to work

    > Good answer if there aren't any computer stores in town. Keyboards are
    > cheap.

    Take the cable modem <g> (Not so cheap...)

    Or if she has a router, it might provide just that sort of thing. My D-Link
    has filters that block certain IPs from accessing the Internet (TCP or UDP
    or both) at certain times of day, and even days are selectable. It could be
    set up one time, and ignored. Of course, Annette would have to have a very
    secure admin password for the router ;o)
    Toolman Tim, Jul 12, 2005
  14. Annette Kurten

    FML Guest

    Annette Kurten wrote:
    > is there something I can download to put a timer on internet access, one of
    > my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    > I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    > Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    > Win ME btyahoo BB

    Take a look at Cybersitter, password protected and relatively difficult
    to get around it. Depends how computer savy the kido is.

    http://www.cybersitter.com/cs2001g.htm
    FML, Jul 13, 2005
  15. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > <> wrote in message
    >> "Top (retired)" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in

    >>> How about a big stick applied to the seat of understanding?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Freedom is never free....

    >> One of the joys of being a parent <sigh>.
    >> You need to analyze whats going on and discuss it with the kid.
    >> If the kid has any computer smarts the kid is going to figure out
    >> how to beat anything technical you do.
    >> Perhaps a little more info here would generate ideas.
    >>
    >> LB
    >>

    > Why are you telling this to Top? He's retired...or so his user
    > name says. He probably doesn't need any advice on raising kids...

    3 Sons, youngest is 21. Retired from the Army in 1992, retired again
    March this year for health reasons. Hopefully the surgery I have
    scheduled on the 19th will give me some chance to return to work. If
    not, hey I get to watch this group quite a bit <g>.

    Do I need advice on kids, not at this point! <g> However if you have
    some advice on a live in mother-in-law I'd be happy top listen.
    <vbg>!

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Jul 13, 2005
  16. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >

    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> One of the joys of being a parent <sigh>.
    >>> You need to analyze whats going on and discuss it with the kid.
    >>> If the kid has any computer smarts the kid is going to figure out
    >>> how to beat anything technical you do.
    >>> Perhaps a little more info here would generate ideas.
    >>>
    >>> LB
    >>>

    >> Why are you telling this to Top? He's retired...or so his user
    >> name says. He probably doesn't need any advice on raising kids...
    >>

    > 3 Sons, youngest is 21. Retired from the Army in 1992, retired again
    > March this year for health reasons. Hopefully the surgery I have
    > scheduled on the 19th will give me some chance to return to work. If
    > not, hey I get to watch this group quite a bit <g>.
    >
    > Do I need advice on kids, not at this point! <g> However if you have
    > some advice on a live in mother-in-law I'd be happy top listen.
    > <vbg>!

    ACCCKKKK!!!!! I had one of those once - worst 2 years of my LIFE!!! You have
    my deepest sympathies!
    Toolman Tim, Jul 13, 2005
  17. Top (retired) wrote:

    > 3 Sons, youngest is 21. Retired from the Army in 1992, retired again
    > March this year for health reasons. Hopefully the surgery I have
    > scheduled on the 19th will give me some chance to return to work. If
    > not, hey I get to watch this group quite a bit <g>.

    Good luck with your operation, Ed.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 13, 2005
  18. Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Top (retired) wrote:
    >
    >> 3 Sons, youngest is 21. Retired from the Army in 1992, retired
    >> again March this year for health reasons. Hopefully the surgery I
    >> have scheduled on the 19th will give me some chance to return to
    >> work. If not, hey I get to watch this group quite a bit <g>.

    > Good luck with your operation, Ed.

    Thank you Sir. I have a good surgeon that performed the same surgery on
    my wife so I'm confident. He'll fuse a couple of vertabra in my neck
    and I'll be fine.

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Jul 13, 2005
  19. "FML" <> wrote in message
    > Annette Kurten wrote:
    > > is there something I can download to put a timer on internet access, one

    of
    > > my kids is going berserk when I am at work.
    > > I have googled but keep getting technical imfo.
    > > Apologies for being a pest AGAIN.
    > > Win ME btyahoo BB
    > >

    > Take a look at Cybersitter, password protected and relatively difficult
    > to get around it. Depends how computer savy the kido is.
    >
    > http://www.cybersitter.com/cs2001g.htm

    Thanks everyone A.K XXXX

    Annette Kurten, Jul 13, 2005
  20. Annette Kurten

    Gordon Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > If you are going through a descent router,

    So your router goes down on you?
    Gordon, Jul 13, 2005