    -html
    -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

    GJ
    GJ, May 13, 2004

  2. On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:41 +1200, GJ wrote:

    > I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
    > on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
    > etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
    > references may or may not match the case of the actual files.

    mod_spell in apache.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, May 13, 2004

  3. Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >>I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
    >>on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
    >>etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
    >>references may or may not match the case of the actual files.

    > mod_spell in apache.

    I was just going to say that... it takes out the upper and lower case
    hassles, but he would still have to fix the spaces in the folder and
    file names manually...

    could be fun on a big site :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 13, 2004
  4. GJ

    Divine Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:41 +1200, GJ wrote:

    > I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting on
    > Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces, etc in
    > the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file references may or
    > may not match the case of the actual files.
    >
    > I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a folder
    > selected:
    > -Rename all files/directories to lower case -Replace spaces in filenames
    > and directories with a character, eg _ -Remove any other not suitable
    > characters -Search all files and replace references to lowercase
    > -html
    > -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

    What site management software are you using?

    Go Live?
    Dreamweaver?

    Divine

    --
    Benjamin Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
    little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Divine, May 14, 2004
  5. GJ

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:41 +1200, GJ <gavin_ha@jolly_ha.net.nz>
    wrote:

    >I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
    >on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
    >etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
    >references may or may not match the case of the actual files.
    >
    >I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a
    >folder selected:
    >-Rename all files/directories to lower case
    >-Replace spaces in filenames and directories with a character, eg _
    >-Remove any other not suitable characters
    >-Search all files and replace references to lowercase
    > -html
    > -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

    Pay a student at $10 an hour? If said student gets through that and
    doesn't go insane offer him a job.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, May 14, 2004
  6. GJ

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:21:22 +1200, Divine <>
    wrote:

    >What site management software are you using?
    >
    >Go Live?
    >Dreamweaver?

    Site management software? Go Live? Dreamweaver?

    Ho!

    Ho!

    Ho!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, May 14, 2004
  7. GJ

    Ron McNulty Guest

    If you can collar a UNIX shell script guru for a hour or two, they will
    knock you up a script that will do this. My shell skills are rusty, but if
    you get keen:

    "find" to recurse the directories, using the exec option to run another
    script
    "sed" to zoom thru the files doing global replacements
    "mv" to do the renames, with some clever bits to change the case.

    You can do all this under Windows as well if you install Cygwin (open
    source) to provide a decent command shell.

    Good luck

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 14, 2004
  8. GJ

    AD. Guest

    > I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
    > on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
    > etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
    > references may or may not match the case of the actual files.
    >
    > I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a
    > folder selected:
    > -Rename all files/directories to lower case
    > -Replace spaces in filenames and directories with a character, eg _
    > -Remove any other not suitable characters
    > -Search all files and replace references to lowercase
    > -html
    > -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

    Hey Gavin, assuming I demunged your email address ok, I sent you a quick and
    dirty Python script I wrote to do a similar (but not exactly the same) job a
    while back. You might have some luck tweaking it to do what you wanted.

    If it didn't arrive, let me know.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 15, 2004
  9. GJ

    GJ Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:41 +1200, GJ wrote:
    >

    >>I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting on
    >>Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces, etc in
    >>the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file references may or
    >>may not match the case of the actual files.
    >>
    >>I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a folder
    >>selected:
    >>-Rename all files/directories to lower case -Replace spaces in filenames
    >>and directories with a character, eg _ -Remove any other not suitable
    >>characters -Search all files and replace references to lowercase
    >> -html
    >> -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

    > What site management software are you using?
    >
    > Go Live?
    > Dreamweaver?
    >

    > Divine

    I actually use HTML-KIT, fir most things. I have not been a heavy web
    developer but am getting heavier now. After some time I have found
    better planning and less implementation is a better work model for me.

    I will be receiving sites on a continuing basis and a simple
    program/script to make the site suitable to host on unix will be
    regurlarly used.

    I was using dreamweaver for a while for some simple sites (10-20 static
    pages) but got really sick of some annoying behaviours:
    -Hardcoding cell/table heights in tag settings
    -Munting the HTML layout.

    Someone has sent me a Python script I will play with. Really, I just
    want a point and click solution I can have some confidence in its
    performance.

    GJ
    GJ, May 15, 2004
  10. GJ

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:41:04 +1200, GJ wrote:

    > I was using dreamweaver for a while for some simple sites (10-20 static
    > pages) but got really sick of some annoying behaviours: -Hardcoding
    > cell/table heights in tag settings -Munting the HTML layout.

    Is it not possible to do all that using CSS?

    Divine

    --
    "What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
    Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."
    Divine, May 15, 2004
  11. GJ

    GJ Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:41:04 +1200, GJ wrote:
    >

    >>I was using dreamweaver for a while for some simple sites (10-20 static
    >>pages) but got really sick of some annoying behaviours: -Hardcoding
    >>cell/table heights in tag settings -Munting the HTML layout.

    > Is it not possible to do all that using CSS?
    >

    > Divine

    Yes it is and it is very useful. Removing all foirmatting from HTML and
    using CSS to format can be very useful. For a good example of what is
    possible using CSS visit http://www.csszengarden.com - They have a
    standard set of HTML and CSS. Users can alter the CSS to provide a
    different look and feel to the site.

    My bugbear with Dreamweaver is that it would set the height of a cell,
    ie <td height="1396px">, and I had to reperatedly remove this attribute
    to the TD tag. It got very frustrating when pasting some HTML into a
    table cell and Dreamweaver automatically added the HEIGHT attribute yet
    again.

    GJ
    GJ, May 16, 2004
  12. GJ

    GJ Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > "GJ" <gavin_ha@jolly_ha.net.nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
    >>on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
    >>etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
    >>references may or may not match the case of the actual files.
    >>
    >>I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a
    >>folder selected:
    >>-Rename all files/directories to lower case
    >>-Replace spaces in filenames and directories with a character, eg _
    >>-Remove any other not suitable characters
    >>-Search all files and replace references to lowercase
    >> -html
    >> -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

    > Hey Gavin, assuming I demunged your email address ok, I sent you a quick and
    > dirty Python script I wrote to do a similar (but not exactly the same) job a
    > while back. You might have some luck tweaking it to do what you wanted.
    >
    > If it didn't arrive, let me know.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    It arrived, sorry I didnt reply. I will haev a play with the script over
    the week. I assume I just need to install Python on my PC and I am away.

    Thanks Anton.

    GJ
    GJ, May 16, 2004
  13. GJ

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:33:32 +1200, GJ wrote:

    > My bugbear with Dreamweaver is that it would set the height of a cell, ie
    > the TD tag. It got very frustrating when pasting some HTML into a table
    > cell and Dreamweaver automatically added the HEIGHT attribute yet again.

    Sounds like a setting somewhere that needed to be unset.

    Having never used Dreamweaver I cannot really comment.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."
    Divine, May 16, 2004